Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Post, PM, then mark it sold!

Can I just say how frustrating it is when people don't add to the thread that they're PMing for an item.... so when you THINK the item you want is there: it's not because, of course, the seller hasn't marked it as "pending" or "sold".... or you think "Holy stink! I MIGHT get this!" it's long gone, even though you may be the first person to post.

It's happened to me TWICE just this evening. I'm not trying to point any fingers... this is a general complaint that's happened many more times than just the twice tonight... I'm-a gonna go lie down.. obviously luck just ain't with me tonight.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone just did some kind of quick post saying you're PMing before PMing... it just seems like good manners to me. And "first come first serve is great"... but who came first: the person who PMed without posting or the person who posted first and then PMed? Maybe I've had it wrong this whole time.

What IS proper etiquette for selling/buyer notification?
It's just really frustrating always being pipped at the post.

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post, PM, then mark it sold!

mama, I know your frustration. Typically, I think whoever PMs first gets it, no matter if they posted or not. At least that's what I think personally. Almost all posts say to PM with interest....so, whether you post or not doesn't really matter. I've rarely ever posted onto a thread when I was interested in something, it usually isn't a big deal, I see something I want and I PM the person about it. Most of the sellers here don't go checking at the thread to see who came first. It is frustrating when it happens, I've had it happen to me a time or two, but I'm guilty of almost always PMing the person and never posting that I was PMing them. Thats ok, that means the person that wanted that item can't hunt me down now.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i very rarely will post if im asking about something, if i dont end up with the item, it possibly ca an deter someone who would buy from buying, because they think its pending or sold or whatever, and another thing is i say im broke a lot and i used to would have people pm me and email me on different boards saying that i shouldnt be going around saying im broke if i am interested in and buying all this stuff, etc...and it drove me freakin nuts so i dont tell people what i buy anymore!!

i think the person should go update right when something sells though so no one else is frustrated by it not saying sold.....
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I don't think it's the buyer's responsibility to let everyone know they're pming. I never do, it's just a waste of time. It's the seller's responsibility to mark the item pending or sold.
And sometimes, pms might come very close together so the seller hasn't had the opportunity to mark it yet. I don't consider these things worth getting worked up about personally.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #5
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Typically, I think whoever PMs first gets it, no matter if they posted or not. At least that's what I think personally. Almost all posts say to PM with interest....so, whether you post or not doesn't really matter. I've rarely ever posted onto a thread when I was interested in something, it usually isn't a big deal, I see something I want and I PM the person about it. Most of the sellers here don't go checking at the thread to see who came first. It is frustrating when it happens, I've had it happen to me a time or two, but I'm guilty of almost always PMing the person and never posting that I was PMing them.

If the seller wanted to be really fair, they could look at both PM and posting times and go in order of first to reply in either location...
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
mj7477
Registered Users
seller

I never post if I'm interested in something....I just pm. I guess I always thought it was redundant to post saying "I pm you".
I always assume that someone might have seen the for sale post before I did....and the item could already be pending. I just ask and if it's available great...if not..no big deal.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
monkeytoesmama
Registered Users

I agree with the OP that it's courteous to post that you've sent a PM and what you want. Saves other people's time from replying when something isn't available and also saves the seller a lot of unnecessary PMs to sort through.

As to who is "first"? I guess I'd have to say the time of the PM itself...the public post is really just a courtesy IMO.

I think most sellers are pretty good about posting when things are pending/sold. But unless they're sitting at the computer 24/7 they deserve a little leniency if they don't get to it immediately. If a buyer doesn't come through, it's easy enough for the seller to repost as "available again" and/or to contact other buyers who posted they were also interested.
monkeytoesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

as for the buyer posting that they're pming the seller - sometimes i do and sometimes i don't. but honestly often i'm asking a question and depending on the answer may or may not buy the item. so even if i was first to pm (and posted about it) doesn't mean it's gone.

i don't think the buyer/potential buyer really has any responsibility for that. it's the seller's job to keep the post updated - but even then i don't expect them to drop everything to post it sold the second they've received paypal.

sorry to the OP that you've been disappointed so often lately. hope you find what you're hunting for.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

I don't like the PM post generally because if they have several items FS and then someone writes "Pming you!" I assume the one I want is sold, so I don't bother to ask about it. Maybe the poster asked about a different item, but I assume they asked about the one I want. ie., the good one, lol. If you post about Pming, be specific about what you are PMing about.

I always mark sold and pending right away. I get the PM, and then I go straight to the post to mark it pending. I know as a buyer it would be so frustrating, and it doesn't take much time at all.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
Mugs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely PM first. If you post a I pm'd you then you just push the thread up to the top of the list and make if more visible for the next person to see and check it out.

I know when I sell I only look at Pm's becuase half the time I forget to subscribe to the post and go back and check it. But I always say right in my ad that you should PM me if you are interested or have questions.