Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
annessa
Registered Users
seller

please help with our latch problem!

Hi, my month old daughter and I are fighting thrush, and that combined with her latch is causing me tons of pain. She doesn't open her mouth as widely as she used to, sometimes actually offering a pursed lip like I have a straw for her! She also opens and closes in a chewing motion when she wants to latch, so it's like hitting the ball through the windmill at miniature golf! She doesn't flare her lips and put her tongue forward over her gums. Could these changes be because of the thrush (like maybe there's hope she'll go back to her great latch when we get rid of the thrush?), she makes the "clicking" sound that I read is characteristic of thrush in the mouth. Any tricks to getting her tongue forward and down, I think the rubbing caused by it being in the wrong position is the cause of most of the pain. She is getting plenty of milk from me, on the bright side, there are plenty of diapers and she's gaining very well. I could definitely use a lc or a talk with someone from lll, but I'm surprised I even had the time to type this out as crazy busy as things have been for this first time mom! Thanks for any ideas!

Advertisement

annessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: please help with our latch problem!

I have no advice, but lots of ! I had thrush with my son and it's a pain! Good luck.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

check this website
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
some good info
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had the same issues. He started of with a great latch and slowly went downhill. He had thrush early on that we treated with gentian violet, but even after that, it was still off. I went to a LC which definately helped, but it wasnt until he hit 4 months or so that everything corrected itself.
I would go to a LLL meeting for sure because they can usually offer lots of help and answer any questions (and for free which is great.)

This link also helped me tremendously.
http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=18&Itemid=42
Mum2my2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Tessamoon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try aiming your nipple to the roof of her mouth, so it is not a bulls eye latch but a asymmetrical latch so her tongue is hitting the breast tissue under the nipple and not the nipple. Video 9 http://www.pregnancy.org/breastfeeding.php (scroll down) Can you manually flange her lips after she is on? As for the thrush cover your nipple with asadolphis powder and let her get some in her mouth and you take a daily supplement of it.
Tessamoon is offline   Reply With Quote