Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #131
mommyofatoz
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long did you breastfeed?

My first two were about 10 mo. when they weaned straight to a cup. My third, I wanted to feed longer, and I did till about 13 mo...but I was happy to get that far, considering all the bfing trouble we had!

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #132
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 will be 3 in Sept. and dd2 is almost 15 mos. They're both nursing and dd1 actually wants to nurse more than dd2!
When dd1 was born, my sister asked how long I would nurse her for (no one needs to ask that question), when I told her at least 2 or whenever, both my sister and my mum thought it was odd. My mum said 'well it's only for comfort at that age' as though children shouldn't get comfort from your breast...

I've educated them and they've seen how normal we all are and are big advocates of breast feeding now.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #133
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

My DS partially self-weaned at about 9-10 months & completely self-weaned at 13 1/2 months.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #134
Periwinkle
Registered Users
seller

DS self weaned a few months after his 3rd birthday.
DD is still a baby and nursing away.
Periwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #135
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 2 1/2 and still nursing. We attempted to encourage weaning last month (for my own preference) and she wasn't ready so we are still nursing. We'll gently encourage weaning again in a few months. All though I really like the concept of child led weaning I am just ready to move on to the next phase of our relationship.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #136
MelDM
Registered Users
Formerly: newmom
seller

My Mood:

We breastfed until about 11 months. My DD had always gotten both breast and bottle because of her prematurity she was able to bottlefeed before breast. Anyway, we weaned at 11 months because that is when we were both ready. She had no problems at all with it. I plan to breastfeed this one exclusively though. No bottles at all.

Mama to 3! Brooke (4), Katie (3) and our newest addition, Ryan born 3/5/2011!
MelDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #137
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

First self-weaned at around 15 mos (although it could have had to do with moving him to a crib)

Second is 8.5 mos, hope to have him go longer than big brother.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #138
Heavenly
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh I forgot to add on my previous post - supply problems CAN be overcome. I had a breast reduction when I was 20. My first nursling I had about a 75% supply and nursed with a Lact-aid (supplementer at the breast) for 16 months. She continued to nurse with no supplementer .... well she is still nursing and she is 4 yrs 8 mths old. Only once a day at bedtime at this point. I am also nursing my 18 month old and she still uses the Lact-aid 2-4 times a day. I've gotten so used to using it that its just no big deal. I've dealt with severe supply issues, thrush 13 times!, and many other problems so if anyone ever needs any info on that or the supplementer please feel free to pm me.

oops edited to add that with #2 I didn't use any herbs to help my supply and my supply has been about 65-70%. I just didn't feel like dealing with all the herbs and what not this time.

Last edited by Heavenly; 07-19-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Heavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #139
LindusandGrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is almost 10months and I'll be iniating weaning soon. I've reached my breastfeeding limit.

Don't like my lack of punctuation or spelling? Don't read my posts.
"Home is what catches you when you fall. And we all fall."
LindusandGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #140
VioletteCrumble
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya View Post
I am in a bit of an odd situation b/c my DD just turned two (yesterday) and pretty much self-weaned a couple of months ago, though not because she wanted to- I was pregnant and stopped producing milk altogether.
I gave birth to a stillborn daughter last week and decided to pump and donate milk. Since seeing me pumping, DD has decided she wants to nurse again, so I am letting her, but trying to limit it to before naps and nights only b/c she is very obsessive about it! LOL! In fact, I will tell her she can have mommy's milk before night-night, when she asks, and she says, ok mommy, I go night-night now! I have a feeling she would nurse until she was in college if I let her- she is a boobie girl for sure.
Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. Kudos to you for pumping and donating during such a difficult time.