Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: More tie-dye

Party in her pants. That's so funny.

The the OP, I was the one who asked about the Dylon Red. I did buy the Poppy Red the other day and now I'm itching to try....hmmm. off to soak me some prefolds in Poppy Red. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imommy
Party in her pants. That's so funny.

The the OP, I was the one who asked about the Dylon Red. I did buy the Poppy Red the other day and now I'm itching to try....hmmm. off to soak me some prefolds in Poppy Red. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!
I love how the red came out...just be very careful not to drip on anything...especially your skin...it dries looking like BLOOD!! Make sure you post some pics for us this afternoon!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #13
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I get around to it. We are leaving on a short trip tomorrow so I have about a million and one things to do. I really should get them soaking so I can just leave them while I'm running around today but I can't seem to get my act together . I'll post pics whenever I do.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
i0lanthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Way cool!

And definitely contagious. So.. if I get a small "enough for 6 shirts" kit (I need a "kit" cause I don't knw what I'm doing!), will that dye, like, 6 prefolds, 12 prefolds, millions of prefolds, or 2 prefolds? I'm thinking if I saturate a premium pf, it probably holds about as much as a shirt?
i0lanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They are all so pretty! Great job!
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0lanthe
Way cool!

And definitely contagious. So.. if I get a small "enough for 6 shirts" kit (I need a "kit" cause I don't knw what I'm doing!), will that dye, like, 6 prefolds, 12 prefolds, millions of prefolds, or 2 prefolds? I'm thinking if I saturate a premium pf, it probably holds about as much as a shirt?

I think it depends on a couple of things. If you're planning to do solid colors, I'd say use the Dylon dye. It's right around $2 for a packet which is cheap, the only thing you need to add is salt and water, and it only has to soak for an hour so you get instant gratification! I was happy with the ones I did in Dylon when I followed the instructions and soaked them like they say...the ones I was less happy with were the ones where I tried to get fancy and squirt the dye on to do multicolors. The Dylon dye packets tell you the weight of the dry fabric that a packet will dye. I didn't pay much attention to that and wasted some dye. Also, if you want to do more, you just dilute the dye a little more and get a little more muted color.

If you want to do multiple colors on one diaper, then I'd say go for one of the kits. I used the Rainbow Rock kit which said it would do 8 t-shirts (I think...I don't have the box anymore). I know it did way more than 8 prefolds and again, you can also dilute the dye a bit to stretch it out more. It also depends on what pattern you're doing and how much you try to saturate the fabric. It takes a whole lot of dye to soak all the way through a prefold! The drawback to doing it that way is that you need to let it sit for several hours (I left mine overnight) which was torture!! I was very happy with the brilliant colors I got though.

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #17
Mrs_donnelly
Registered Users

I dyed mine in the morning and then left the house for pretty much the rest of the day, so they sat for several hours. I also used vinager when I washed them. It's supposed to set the dye.

The kit I used gave directions for diluting dye--anywhere from 1.5 cups of water to 10 cups. I used about 6. I used the 18+ kit from http://tiedyekits.silentpulseinstrum...tdkindex2.html and got a couple extra colors.
Mrs_donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #18
dharmafarm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Your dye patterns are turning out awesome! Great work
dharmafarm is offline   Reply With Quote