Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exzema in kids? Suggestions please!

To confirm my suspicions DS has developed exzema, mostly behind behind his ears, a little on his face and arms Inherited from DH's side of the family, with a link to asthma and allergies, wah!

He's only 5 months and our naturopath has got me to start an elimination diet (no wheat, dairy, refined sugar) since he is still EBF. Plus using some acidophilus on my nipples, plus calendula cream.

I'm also worried cause we're going to start solids soon, I think I will have to be extra careful with the foods I introduce.

Just wanted to hear any suggestions for what things worked for others? Dietwise or supplements, creams, cleansers...

We're pretty crunchy and only use pretty natural soap and laundry products, so I don't plan on going the prescription med. route.

Any feedback or helpful links would be greatly appreciated TIA!

Advertisement

Last edited by shandi; 06-26-2006 at 11:38 AM.
shandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exzema in kids? Suggestions please!

How often do you bathe him? Try to not bathe him more then every 2-3 days. Also, dairy is one of the main contributers to eczema in my DS (and a common one). Aquaphor or Eucerin are good for helping with eczema.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can PM me for more info if you want....

dd has suffered from moderate to severe eczema since birth

please, whatever you do, do not resort to prescription or over the counter steroid creams, My daughter has suffered permanent skin damage from PRESCRIPTION topical steroids, now if dd's eczema flare-ups get really bad, broken/bleeding we use neosporin until the wound is healed.....

We recently switched over to all naturual soaps from www.bluehousesoaps.com Melissa is an awesome source of info, and she always welcomes emails.......dd's skin has never been better since we switched to these soaps.

Try foods rich in Omega 3
there have been some studies that suggest a link between deficiencies with the fatty amino acids and eczema in children

We do flax seed oil 1tbs a day in some chocolate milk
but I don't know if that is safe for such a young child
Bathing less often, like 3 times a week at most, with lukewarm water and very mild soap, can make a huge difference.

Also, checking the labels on any bath products, lotions, ect.... for alcohol, that just adds to the dryness problems.

I would also suggest that you be careful about calendula on broken skin, sometimes it can sting really bad......

Good luck mama, and let me know if you have anymore questions, I may be able to answer them

Last edited by almostcrunchy; 06-26-2006 at 12:37 PM.
almostcrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

My ds has an eczema-looking rash, but I haven't taken him to the dr about it. I plan to get some Florasone (which is natural and supposed to be very good), and I also got some Cetaphil lotion. Cetaphil works really great for us.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
hunterNkarter
www.DinkerandGiggles.com
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

HUGE rave for Tracy's Treats---Its why I added it to my store!!!!

I can't say enough about it---I use the lip balm on my kids face and haven't had a flare up in a while---I put it on 3 x a day.

Thank Goodness for Tracy's Treats!!!!
Not only did the Shea Butter Lotion Bar clear up my eczema but also my daughters as well. I was really hesitant to try yet another remedy.......but I got a free sample at a function and decided to give it a whirl. Within 3 days my skin was completely clear and with repeated use I have no reoccurrences. My doctor even questioned what I was using because the results were so dramatic. We are hooked and with all the different scent choices.........well what more can I ask for. Thanks so much for a quality product!!!

Our 6 month old baby has had eczema (mainly on his face) since he was 2 months old. We've Tried everything over the counter: aveeno, eucerin, gentle naturals baby eczema cream, aquifer (just to name a few). Everything seemed to aggravate the flare ups more. We only used the hydrocortisone that the doctors prescribed when absolutely necessary. We kept searching for natural remedies, but nothing seemed to work. We feel truly blessed to have stumbled across Tracy's miraculous creation of the Shea Butter Lotion Bars- they seemed to improve his eczema in just a few days. We've been using it regularly for a few weeks now and his flare-ups are very mild, if not nonexistent on some days. We are very grateful to have found such a wonderful, natural product.

PM me for more info or.... spaming... see my store link in siggy
Baby #3 born naturally on Feb 2nd! I Blog
My Feedback: DiaperPin
ISO: SANITY IHA: Not nearly enough PP/RME!
hunterNkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
anabellee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds has eczema too and we only bathe him 2x's a week or so. we also have to keep him off of carpet and make sure he's well lotioned. like others have said, Eucerin works very well. good luck mama!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
shandi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the great suggestions mamas! I always love to hear about the magic remedies that work for people

We try not to bathe ds too much, only every 2nd or usually every 3rd day, usually with Burt's Bees buttermilk soap, but I think I might skip the soap altogether for now!

The Omega 3's I can't give to ds yet since he only bf'ing right now, but I have started taking flaxseed oil again, plus I do a fish oil as well, which he will get some of through breastfeeding.
The calendula cream is homeopathic so it's very mild.

I just really want to nip this in the bud so it doesn't get too bad, I've seen what dh's can get like and want to do whatever I can to prevent it!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this may sound crazy but it sincerely works. i would never ever put anyones child in harm! have you ever heard of a swimming pool helping eczema? after seeing many derm's one finally got the magic trick. in his bath water, you can place 2 tsp of bleach with him. it will not burn his skin. let him soak for awhile. it really does work. for his eyes, please do not put anything near them. i used to take a warm washcloth and just dab along them here and there. behind the ears i would suggest the bath water and heavy amounts of lotion back there. if you have any questions at all, you can always pm me. my son had severe eczema for several months and its finally under control now.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
mommy2itchybaby
Banned
seller

My son has had VERY severe excema, it has even gotten to the point he developed such an infection it just kept spreading and was starting to cause severe problems!
I refused to use cortisone etc. then finally I stumbled across a product in the local herb store called Miracell, it is quite spendy! Cost me 30.00 for 2 fl oz. but it is truly an amazing product! It cleared up horrible infected spot on my DS's foot in 3 days! You can also use it for psoriasis, burns, rosacea, cuts, as a mosturizer and much more!
I swear by it my son who is 18 months now was in hospital fighting infection due to excema and fortunately that's when I found it, even the Dr's were AMAZED. Give it a try it is totally safe for even newborns and it is all natural. I think they even have a 1 ounce size. Also one or two little drops covers my DS's whole body. If you have any questions please ask.

Wife to DH David mommy to Jayde 5 my and daughter and David Jr 18 months who starts everything and then throws cause he's the baby!
Cloth diapering natural evrything family
mommy2itchybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

This place even takes paypal
http://www.buymiracell.com/

I Just bought a 1/2 ounce bottle.

Last edited by SheilaJoy; 06-27-2006 at 03:19 AM.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote