Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
daisybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do BGs work for heavy wetters?

I mean really heavy wetters? My dd drinks so much juice/water that she soaks through her fleece AI2s in less than an hour after drinking a cup of juice. How do Bum Genius work for heavy wetters?

And has anyone really used them on a newborn? How bulky are they? Do you have pics? I'm considering changing to these as it would be a lot easier to have one set of diapers rather than 2.

Advertisement

daisybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do BGs work for heavy wetters?

Don't know about heavy wetters, but they're not my favorite on our newborn. They're pretty bulky snapped all the way down so we only use 'em when the rest of the dipes are in the wash. I'm sure I'll love 'em once she grows a bit, but newborns are so teeny, kwim? You might consider doing prefolds with the NB because then you can use those for extra stuffins for your older kid.

I don't see why they wouldn't work, but they might be a bit bulky if you have to stuff a lot.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
ramoth7
Registered Users

I think so. Jack slept in one last night with two cb inserts w/no leaking... and he's not leaked in them during the day... I really like them but can see how they'd be super bulky on a newborn - they fit him on the smallest setting and he's 17+ pounds!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES!

I bought one to try out on my heavy wetter and it was the first diaper that I didn't have to watch the clock to make sure it wouldn't leak. When she made it overnight with just two CB inserts, I bought an entire dozen. They are now the main part of my stash.

Can't comment on the newborn thing because she started in them when she was about 23 lbs or so, but I was planning to hold on to them to see how they would work on a NB when we try for another DC. I would probably use pfs on a newborn at first, depending on the size of the baby, but once they hit about 9 or 10 lbs, I would try the bGs on the lowest setting.

Just wanted to let you know how well they worked from a momma of a super soaker. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The nice thing about BGs is that you can stuff them with what ever you want to make them as absorbant as you want. We can go a really long time when using both a microfiber and a hemp insert together.

I have not used them on a newborn, but I think the pocket itself would not be that bulky, but using the included CB insert folded down would be bulky. If you used a small insert, I think it would be relatively trim.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

Because they are so adjustable in the absorbancy, they work great for heavy wetters! Try a hemp insert, like the Bigger Weeds, in the pocket.

They weren't out when Catie was a newborn, but I think it would be fine if you used a trim insert, such as a microfiber towel or the Little Weeds hemp inserts.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Yes, they are THE most leak proof dipe out of everything we have tried...and we have tried a lot of different dipes! You can make them as absorbent as you'd like, but I find the free CB inserts they come with work amazingly well. I find that PUL tends to wick if wetness sits on the edges too long but we don't have this issue with our BGs, plus I can get a better fit with BGs as opposed to some of our other brands because of the stretchy tabs on the BGs.
erin_brycesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I put a CB & a hemp insert in tonight & put it at the largest setting (we usually use med). Last night, no leaks with a CB, hemparoo & LL insert & they werent totally soaked so tonight I am trying 1 less insert. I have been cding for a few months now & was still using sposies at night, but these worked great in a pinch (went to my moms & forgot sposies for night) so I thought I'd try at home. OH yeah, and dd sleeps in a gerber onsie & it hasnt been even damp after 3 nights in BG 12-13hrs!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

YES! YES! YES!!

That's ALL I will use at night! I use one babykicks wrapped in a MF towel and we NEVER have leaks-can go for 10+ hours
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's Abby in her bGs:

As opposed to the xsmall FBs:

Stuffed with the same type insert. I think they'll be great as she gets bigger, but right now, she wears 'em when all the other dipes are dirty and in the wash.