Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What kind of detergent do you use on your pockets?

no stinkies here...cold rinse with vinegar, hot wash with baby purex or baby all, and then an extra rinse.

no stinkies!

Advertisement

bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #12
ramoth7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin
We use Sam's Detergent and haven't had a problem yet.

Sam's Club detergent is the same thing as Sun (from what I've read). We use Sun too and haven't had any problems yet. I have a front loader and do an extra rinse. I also do a Power Temp Boost on every wash that heats the water 160 degrees... I have my first poopy diaper today, so am doing a Power Wash (starts in cold, heats water up) and an extra rinse... no smells so far!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i started getting the stinkies when i switched to Sun.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #14
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Well I know it's not an absorbancy issue. I've been using them for almost 4 months and when they are stripped they work GREAT! But I am having to strip them so often. With that being said that's why I think it's my detergent, but all I am using is Dawn And dawn is what you use to strip them. I rinse them over and over and always do a few hot washes with nothing added after I use the detergent. I never wash my inserts with my diapers. And I have tried bleach on the inserts and they still smell. I've tried deep cleaning them and soaking them in oxyclean, that doesnt work. I am just wanting a good routine that doesnt make my diapers get buildup after 1-2 weeks. I thought Dawn was the answer but I guess not.

How do you know if you have hard water? I do not have the yellow/brown stains in my shower....and that's the only way I know how to tell.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #15
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use Sun detergent. My routine is cold presoak and quick wash with a little bit of baking soda to neutralize the urine. Hot wash with maybe 2 Tbsp of Sun detergent, vinegar in the rinse cycle, double rinse. I started getting the stinkies last week in my inserts. I tried stripping with Dawn, but I was not getting any extra bubbles. As a last resort, I used 1 Tbsp of bleach (no detergent) in a HOT wash with just the inserts. Holy Soap Bubbles! It took 4 rinses to get rid of the bubbles from the buildup. I will probably use a little bit of bleach on the inserts every couple of weeks to keep the stinkies away.

Good luck!
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #16
hauser
Registered Users
seller

I use charlies soap. Works great with our hard water. I just hot wash cold rinse. No soak or extra rinse. But I wash my inserts separate and my wipes! I bleach the inserts about once a week, maybe less (they are microfiber). I have had good luck since I have been using this method. He is EBF though!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:40 AM   #17
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well I am no help because I use Allen's Naturally which you said you can't do. I use 1/4 of an ounce and 3 drops of TTO for a load of probably 18 diapers and we use all Fuzzi Bunz with microfiber or hemp inserts and I haven't had to stip since I switched to the Allen's 3-4 months ago.

When I ran the numbers it wasn't that much more expensive to use the Allen's when you figure it by load. I bought a gallon which will last me until DD potty trains and through a second baby since I only use the Allen's on diapers and I use regual HE detergent on everything else. (we have a front loader)
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:21 AM   #18
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I've only used Allen's on my Fuzzi Bunz. It's working great, no problems and clean diapers. My reason for using it is that it's what MOE recommends so if I have any problems w/ my dipes I can tell them that I followed their recommendations! Honestly I would just tell you to get Allen's...a bottle lasts a long, long time. I can't imagine it really being more expensive than Tide. Wouldn't it be worth it to not have problems like you are having? (Although maybe you are too far in problems.)

Hope you get it figured out! I'd be very frusturated!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #19
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfb16
Well I know it's not an absorbancy issue. I've been using them for almost 4 months and when they are stripped they work GREAT! But I am having to strip them so often. With that being said that's why I think it's my detergent, but all I am using is Dawn And dawn is what you use to strip them. I rinse them over and over and always do a few hot washes with nothing added after I use the detergent. I never wash my inserts with my diapers. And I have tried bleach on the inserts and they still smell. I've tried deep cleaning them and soaking them in oxyclean, that doesnt work. I am just wanting a good routine that doesnt make my diapers get buildup after 1-2 weeks. I thought Dawn was the answer but I guess not.

How do you know if you have hard water? I do not have the yellow/brown stains in my shower....and that's the only way I know how to tell.
I wondered this too. You can go on line and search for the county you live in's water sanitation department. They will list how hard your water is. Mine is "moderately hard" according to the web site and I haven't had any issues. I do like Allen's the best, but I think 7th Generation Free and Clear (available at Target) should also work. I don't get why you have to keep stripping the. What do you use for the rest of your laundry? Have you ever started filling the washer after doing a non diaper load and noticed suds. I have....I've gotten much more aware now that I'm washing diapers. I've really cut down on how much detergent I use for all our laundry. Maybe that's it I'm stumped. I do have leaks when my insert isn't sufficient... but you said that wasn't it...

Keep us posted. Try running a load without adding clothes and let in agitate. Maybe you need to deep clean your washer not your diapers.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #20
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PP have given you a lot of good ideas. I just want to throw another one out there. I have hard, no softener, well water. I found that if I use Calgon in my hot wash along with the Dawn if works wonders. It is a watersoftener, and you can get it in the detergent section. It may be worth a try.

Goodluck! I have had many issues with my microfiber. I just purchased some prefolds to try as inserts. I'm hopeing I won't have to strip as often as the micro. Fingers crossed!

Alicia
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote