Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wool masters please help!

I am very interested in starting some wool diapering but I am kind of afraid . I think I just need to start out with a good night time solution. Right now we are using BG 2.0 but I would like something that is a little more breathable. I have to get it right the first time so DH will let me buy this stuff (ha ha like he has a say ) or at least buy it without a hassle. My mom has also said she could crochet or knit some stuff for me if I get her a pattern. So here are the questions......
What is your fave dipe combo and why?
How do you use a prefold in them? Just in thirds? Doesn't it shift around a lot?
If using longies or shorties can you use a prefold?
Are there any patterns recommended? I have found some free ones or would a purchased one be better?
Which wool is the best for knitting? and crocheting? Does it matter if it is Llahma opposed to sheep?
I saw some good reviews on Babyology do you think that would be a good beginner cover?
I think that is all of my questions for now. I would love to be able to knit/crochet stuff myself but it's kinda hard to teach yourself when you want to do it NOW! Thanks in advance for all your help.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wool masters please help!

This http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html is a wonderful site with how to videos for crochet. It helped me out a lot. I like to see the stitch being performed vs looking in a book at a picture. I just completed the Ladybugz Farm Peppermint Soaker Patter and made a pair of shorties. It was a very easy pattern and they turned out great.

I'm sure some others out there will give you some other suggestions and advise.

Edit: I do use prefolds under wool. I secure the prefold with a snappi or pins. For night time or days out of the house I use a premium prefold with an infant or premie prefold as a doubler.

Last edited by susnrob; 07-09-2007 at 05:55 PM.
susnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Angel3167;1407358]
What is your fave dipe combo and why? For night-time, my favourite combo is a Bamboozle or PeeWell fitted with an Aristocrats cover. During the day, I use SO many different kinds, I can't pick a favourite
How do you use a prefold in them? Just in thirds? Doesn't it shift around a lot? If you're going to use a prefold under wool, you need to pin it or snappi it. I suppose you could trifold a prefold into a wool wrap though, but I'm not a huge fan of wool wraps
If using longies or shorties can you use a prefold? yup!
Are there any patterns recommended? I have found some free ones or would a purchased one be better? I don't crochet, so I'm not sure. I do knit though, and paid for the Belladonna pattern and love it.
Which wool is the best for knitting? and crocheting? Does it matter if it is Llahma opposed to sheep? I've heard that llama wool is really hot. I like Merino wool or BFL, but there are lots of different kinds. I don't like Peace Fleece though, I find it scratchy and I just don't like the texture.
I saw some good reviews on Babyology do you think that would be a good beginner cover? I like that they come in different colours. I don't have any, but I know the soakers are similar to Aristocrats, which I swear by for night-time!!

Hope that helps!

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

more opinions?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

anymore wool masters?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
5ferret2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would not say I am a master but have found great love for our wool I like that I don't have to wash it in the machine, so much easier for us since we have coin. It's soft and breathable and if you get some good wool wash it smells yummy too!! At night I have found our best solution...one trifold prefold inside a snappi'ed prefold and than a pair of Babyology longies. NEVER LEAKS, he sleeps 12 hours with out a change. We only use prefolds because we go through a service so I can't give you advice on anything else, but I am thinking about getting him some hemp doublers for outtings and nighttime. I like BFL wool and Merino or anything soft (LOL), I don't like peace fleece . I have knitted, crotched and also have recycled. I love it all Hope that helps a little.
5ferret2 is offline   Reply With Quote