Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

re-lactating while pregnant?

is it ok or even possible to try re-lactating while you are pregnant in order to maybe build a supply in case you have a tough time bf after birth or an 11 lb baby that just needs more than you can produce (speaking from experience) AF is late and while i don't want to get excited or anything yet i do want so baddly to successfully BF. but have tried with both my kiddos and failed misserably. does anyone know if this is possible?

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: re-lactating while pregnant?

I think it's probably POSSIBLE, but I wouldn't suggest it and I couldn't promise you'd produce a whole lot, KWIM? I'm all for people bfing when they're pregnant, and I started leaking this time pretty early, but I think with the hormones in your body and the fact that you weren't lactating when you got pregnant (or may have gotten pregnant ) might suggest little production for awhile. I say talk to whoever your medical person (Dr., midwife, etc.) is - I think it's best a question posed to them if it would effect your pregnancy. Unfortunately a lot of things that women take to relactate (fenugreek, domperidone, etc.) are not suggested during pregnancy either, so your supply would be hard to give a boost to if you weren't getting much out with just pumping. I hope you get your answer! Good luck, I'll be watching for your test!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think so really. #1 Supply drops when you are preggo, nursed through 2 of them. #2 Probably that much pumping wouldn't be so good preggo due to the uterine contraction it creates.

I had 4 very big babies myself(over 11lbs) and my body just adjusted. I never supplemented after the first. The pressure to supplement a big baby works against you because less nursing = less production. Nurse 24/7 if you have to. My biggest was over 23lbs at his 4mo visit, no formula or baby food. It is possible!
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

i know you can't take fenugreek or mothers milk tea while pregnant because it causes contractions
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

With each baby your body activates more milk ducts, so its quite possible that you would have more milk this time around. A big baby will do just fine on your milk! Hook up with your local La Leche League and start going to meetings now, they would love to help you out when your baby is born too!
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't recomend attempting to lactate before your baby is born. Because you weren't lactating while you got pregnant (if you are, congrats if you are!) anything you might to do stimulate lactation would also stimulate contractions. Your best bet to producing a healthy supply of milk after your baby is born is to not give in to supplementing those first few days. Colostrum is plenty for a newborn no matter how big or small. When your milk comes in you will have more than enough! Newborns are made to lose weight, their body consists of a wealthy amount of fat/sugar/protien/and fluid stores and their stomaches are very bitty.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't your colostrum start to come in at 5-6 months anyway? Most nursing while PG moms I know pretty much just dry nursed their kids at that point because even with herbs and extra measures their supply dwindled down anyway.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsBunny
Doesn't your colostrum start to come in at 5-6 months anyway? Most nursing while PG moms I know pretty much just dry nursed their kids at that point because even with herbs and extra measures their supply dwindled down anyway.
Yeah, generally the hormones in pregnancy deplete the milk supply similar to the way strong birth controls do.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was nursing when I got pregnant ande by 12wks I was pretty much dry despite dd's best efforts and me drinking lots of water & eating oatmeal.

I agree with the others, it's probably not possible to relactate so that you have a milk supply when baby is born. And it could be risky... Your body will automatically have colostrum ready when your babe is born & the placenta has to be delivered in order to trigger the hormones that kick milk production into full swing.

It's ok if baby wants to nurse constantly after being born, it'll just mean he's trying to get your milk in. My dd cluster fed for 3hrs when she was a bit more than 24hrs old & my milk came in by that evening.

Best of luck to you & good luck with testing.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote