Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
dilema with britax sip/pinnacle &advocates.. 3 seats (feeling crazy help!)

So im having a dilema with the seats i have and my kids having different seats... some with the extra britax sip and some not... i might just be over thinking it all but its making me go crazy and spending too much time researching...

I drive a 1999 chrysler minivan town & country, it doesnt have any tether anchors which is irritating but since it only has 90,000 miles i dont plan on getting a new car any time soon. But anyways i have 'room' in my car so thats not an issue.

Im due with baby #3 (dd2) in early june.
My dd is 4 years old, turning 5 sept 9th. 37 lbs and 42 inches tall. Average. FF in the 3rd row.
Ds is 2, almost 2 1/2, turning 3 jan 1st. 27 lbs and 34 inches tall. Average. will be RF in the 3rd row.
My second row only has 2 captain chairs.

I recently got dd a britax pinnacle 90 and have been using her diono radian rxt for her friend we have been carpooling to school. School/headstart will be over in a couple weeks and i wont need to worry about any extra seats for carpooling.

Basically what i dont like is dd having the britax sip n ds & dd2 not having it....
I could just get ds and dd2 both advocates and skip the infant seat... but it is convenient having the option of bringing the baby seat in the house especially when its rainy season.. but not a neccesity.

I have thought about getting dd and ds pavilions and the dd2 an infant seat and after dd2 outgrows the infant seat i can either get dd2 a pavilion... or pass down dd and get dd a harness to booster later. I kinda feel like dd is better in a convertible still.. she fits fine in her pinnacle harness to booster but it looks like she fits better in my friends convertible when she goes with them...

Im making myself crazy thinking about this.
And i know the harness to boosters let them be harnessed longer than the convertibles.. but once i use the harnessed part to its max i will probably just use a regular hbb since it will be 'easier' i think..

If this sounds crazy and all over the place i apologize but this has been making me crazy.. maybe just a few pointers would be good.
I am expecting this baby to be about 7ish lbs...
dd was 6 lbs 6.8 oz. 19 1/2 inches.
Ds was 8 lbs 0.1 oz. 20 1/2 inches.
So hopefully this one is in the middle somewhere

Thanks for any help, second opinions! I feel psychotic right now and dh's response is '"i dont think it really matters too much babe" talk about wanting to rip my hair out!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: dilema with britax sip/pinnacle &advocates.. 3 seats (feeling crazy help!)

I would really recommend going to the dealer and getting the top tether anchors installed for the forward facing children. Using the tether anchor has far superior safety advantages over a bit of extra "side impact protection foam" in a carseat shell.

Sorry I cannot offer too much advice on the seat options themselves, I've been out of the seat market for a while now haha. Consider your carseat budget and what is more convenient for you. I personally used both convertibles and bucket seats for my babies, and found the buckets to just be a hassle most of the time, especially after having multiple children (my carriers were priceless.) Personal preference, of course.

Some info on top tethers:

(This article looks a tad outdated, simply for the info on which seats can be tethered rearfacing, because the list is now longer in the US.) http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/toptether.php

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/vehicl..._system_2.html
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had to deal with that whole tether issue... my gma was calling and talking to the dealership and basically what they said was they dont have any "anchor kits" for this old of a car because they were never made for this old of a vehicle... thats been the hugest annoyance for me lately. I totally know all about the importance of them but im sort of stuck as far as what i could do.. if they dont have them for this vehicle... what do i do??? Not sure theres anything i can do
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whoever you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Tether kits are precisely for that age vehicle BECAUSE they didn't come standard until a few years later. I'm going to hope someone with a LATCH manual comes along and can give you a part or programs #. If I notice that nonbody has in a couple of days, I'll search someone out for you.

As for the seat dilemma, I wouldn't fret over whether or not a seat advertises it's SIP. So far, we don't have a standard for SIP, so anything you see basically comes down to marketing. It's more important that you have a good install with all the seats you need, each appropriate for the child. That said, the RXT advertises its SIP, too, with the head wings, and most infant seats are pretty deep, as well, even if they don't advertise SIP. You didn't mention what other seat you have, but it sounds to me like you have a good set-up that works. 5 year old harnessed, 2, almost 3 year old RF, and baby coming, all with appropriate seats.

Don't fret about the convertible vs. combo either. Neither is safer than the other, and I prefer bigger kids in bigger, more upright seats.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

See ya i thought so.... i was pretty sure my vegicle manual said i could get them installed.
@and the person was saying the best thing was to go the cp and e them check the unstall n said something about the belt locking clip i tried to explain to my gma it has nothing to do with the seat belt and i know how to instal the car seats just fine i dont need a chp to 'cjheck it'... grrr... im not sure who else i can talk to about it i live in a pretty rural area with not a lot of dealerships or anything so irritating.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
an_aurora
Registered Users

Most people have no idea what you are talking about since it's not a widely known issue.

Call and provide them with the part number instead.

Quote:
The part numbers are also listed in the LATCH manual's entry for the 2000 T&C for doing the tether anchor retrofit: 04864118AB for each second row seating position, and 05018506AA for each third row seating position. A Chrysler dealership should provide the retrofit parts and their installation labor free of charge, and you'll need to refer the dealership to Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin Number 23-029-08 for details on this policy. The dealer can also find additional information in the Warranty Information Center (WIC) article #1339
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=137155
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Would those be the same parts numbers for a 1999 T &C?

That makes sense.. obviously they wouldnt need the kits for the vehicles that already have them, later models...
My van doesnt even have LATCH so theres no manual for it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthy Momma View Post
Would those be the same parts numbers for a 1999 T &C?

That makes sense.. obviously they wouldnt need the kits for the vehicles that already have them, later models...
My van doesnt even have LATCH so theres no manual for it.
The LATCH manual is a big fat manual that lists LATCH locations for vehicles of all (most?) makes and models, if a vehicle can be retrofitted for top tethers (part of LATCH), and the part #s for those. It's not something the general public would have. I'm a former tech, and I never had one.

But, yes, the part #s will be the same for your model year.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well mine doesnt have latch things so hopefully it will still work to get tether snchors.. thank you! I will call them asap
Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
an_aurora
Registered Users

That part number is specific for vehicles without existing tether anchors. If you have a vehicle with LATCH, you cannot install more tethers. The tether retrofit kits are only for vehicles made before top tethers became mandatory. Vehicles from model year 1989 onward were required to be pre-drilled for tether anchors.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote