Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #51
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat covers, strap pads, and piddle pads - PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT

Advertisement

soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #52
ConnorsMommy8407
Registered Users

I have a semi-related question! I'm really short, and my seatbelt rides across my neck. That cannot be safe! What can I use (safely) to position the belt so it doesn't ride directly across my throat? I've got a cheap $2 belt adjuster but there's probably something safer...
ConnorsMommy8407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #53
anjii
Registered Users

Ditto! Any suggestions for us shorties? (For what it's worth, based on current booster seat rules, I would have been in one till at LEAST grade 9, lol, based on height/weight)

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=7497.0

377 posts on old DS, and hoping to catch up here now, after just popping in occasionally for quite awhile
anjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #54
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorsMommy8407 View Post
I have a semi-related question! I'm really short, and my seatbelt rides across my neck. That cannot be safe! What can I use (safely) to position the belt so it doesn't ride directly across my throat? I've got a cheap $2 belt adjuster but there's probably something safer...
Yeah, those belt adjusters don't do anything in terms of safety.

How adjustable are your vehicle seats? Some have the option of being raised higher... are your seatbelts able to be slid up or down and adjusted that way? The seatbelt being able to be moved higher or lower is pretty standard on cars for probably 4 yrs now I'm guessing, but it may depend on manufacturer.

The other thing I'd suggest is contacting a store that helps people with mobility and customizing their vehicle. It's likely you can get a customized booster type cushion that would allow you to fit the belt system better & see out the front of the vehicle better. (That's sometimes a struggle too. )

So that's where I'd start, make sure that any adjustability built into your car design is being used, and then contact a company that helps fit vehicles for people with special needs. Not that being short is a special need, but they'll best be able to direct you to what you need or where to go - and they might be able to help too.

(I have heard of smaller adults who have chosen to use a backless booster in the drivers seat. This is dependant on a number of things as to whether or not it'd work... the biggest issues being comfort ie width of boosters are often narrow and designed for pre-adolescent hips, and whether or not you'd be able to reach the pedals and still be a safe distance from the airbag.)
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #55
Primm_n_Proper_Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
A piddle pad presents the following potential dangers:

1. Compression (depending on thickness)
2. Slippage (depending on exposed waterproofing material)
3. Harness interference (if it wraps around the harness stalk in any fashion)
4. Flammability
Question, so If I use the same materials to make my piddle pads as I do my diapers.... PUL for waterproofing (not exposed in seat pads) - cotton velour or snuggle flannel (not slippery), but yes flammable. The kiddos tush is already flammable - does the piddle pad make that much of a difference?

Last edited by Primm_n_Proper_Baby; 04-09-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Primm_n_Proper_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #56
psychjean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good 2 know...never thought about this b4 - even w/4 kids!
SAHM h'schooling 4 kids , who is married to a Star Wars geek , new to cd'ing and babywearing, and who is grateful to Jesus for His unconditional love! America, Bless God! 2 Chron 7:14
Always ISO: girly OS BG 3.0
psychjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 AM   #57
anjii
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm_n_Proper_Baby View Post
Question, so If I use the same materials to make my piddle pads as I do my diapers.... PUL for waterproofing (not exposed in seat pads) - cotton velour or snuggle flannel (not slippery), but yes flammable. The kiddos tush is already flammable - does the piddle pad make that much of a difference?
Yeah, I agree... I'm pretty paranoid about carseat safety, but the flammable thing doesn't make sense, when all there clothes (and diapers) are already flammable anyways.

The other thing I've always worried about, is compression with the thicker, bulkier cloth diapers (cause let's face it, even the trimmest cloth dipes are thicker than a sposie). Although, even a sposie with a decent sized pee in it would compress a lot, so is any kid, in any kind of dipe, truly safe from flying out of their harness in a crash? (To be clear, I am NOT suggesting we just give up because "It doesn't matter anyways"... I still think we should do everything we can to keep them as safe and secure in their seats as possible!!)

My old DS feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=7497.0

377 posts on old DS, and hoping to catch up here now, after just popping in occasionally for quite awhile
anjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #58
skillswife
Registered Users
seller

One the the big things we were told when we had our car seat inspected is no toys hanging from the carrier. And the handle has to be folded down. If you think your seat isn't comfortable you need to buy a more comfortable brand not add to the one you have.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #59
Hayden's Mom
Registered
seller

My Mood:

They wouldn't even let us leave the hospital with stuff on our seat! And it was the middle of winter!! My mom had to go to baby's r us to exchange the wrap thing she bought for baby and buy just a cover. I didn't know any of this going in. Thanks for posting this so other mamas can know in advance of brining baby home!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #60
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just read this...I have to adjust my kids' carseat straps every day depending what diaper they have on (cloth) so what's up with that?
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote