Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #71
christypjb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat covers, strap pads, and piddle pads - PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT

What about the things that go under the carseat on the seat of the car to protect your car.They usually have storage in them they never actually touch the child. They go in before you even install the carseat.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #72
viersmommy
Registered Users
seller

we have strap covers on DD carseat. We tried everything thing to keep the straps from cutting into her neck. Everytime we went somewhere she would have deep red marks or even bruises on her neck. I even had a carseat tech look at it several times to see if it was adjusted wrong. They said it was on properly.

Anyone know how I can keep the straps from doing this with out covers? I don't want to be unsafe,(also what makes them unsafe) but I don't want my DD to be injured from proper use either?

fighting breast cancer since 8/2010- recently found out it has metastasized to lungs, spine, ribs, femurs, hips, liver and brain
viersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #73
viersmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina View Post
i lost my graco snuggle ride carseat manual. where can i get one? is there a website? do i need to put handle up or down while driving with this car seat?
Thank you for asking. I see this all the time with people driving around. ALWAYS put the handle down (at least level with the top of the seat or further behind it as long as that handle won't catch on stuff below)when an infant seat is in a car!!! These are designed to sort of flip up and cocoon the baby agains the seat back in a crash. If the handle is down it cannot do that and it increases the risk of injury and things hitting/harming your baby

fighting breast cancer since 8/2010- recently found out it has metastasized to lungs, spine, ribs, femurs, hips, liver and brain
viersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #74
lovemybabies924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i didnt bother reading past the 1st half of page 3!! but i use graco carseats and i bought a graco snug sak (just like the jj cole bundleme) and it wont void the warrenty..i checked! graco also makes head supports, and strap covers after market and are safe to use on all graco carseats that are apporved...just contact the customer service on gracobaby.com if u have a graco infant seat
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #75
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by viersmommy View Post
we have strap covers on DD carseat. We tried everything thing to keep the straps from cutting into her neck. Everytime we went somewhere she would have deep red marks or even bruises on her neck. I even had a carseat tech look at it several times to see if it was adjusted wrong. They said it was on properly.

Anyone know how I can keep the straps from doing this with out covers? I don't want to be unsafe,(also what makes them unsafe) but I don't want my DD to be injured from proper use either?
The suggestion I've heard most from CPSTechs is to cut the toes off a pair of those super thin baby socks, and slide those onto the harness straps (you have to take off the car seat straps to do this, be VERY CAREFUL to pay attention to exactly how they are threaded so you can be sure to put it back together correctly! It's usually WAY more complicated/confusing than it looks!).
The baby socks are thin enough to not pose any compression risk, but even that think layer is usually enough to prevent red marks. Also when she's wearing a shirt with a collar or a *thin* coat with a hood, you can just pull up her shirt/collar/hood enough to keep the straps off her neck.
Finally, some companies sell "aftermarket" strap covers that are *approved* for their particular car seats.
HTH!

And just PSA for the future, car seats fit different kids in different ways. It's totally possible for the straps on one seat will rub a kids neck raw, while the straps on another seat won't even touch their neck! For some other kid, it could be the exact opposite! That's why, whenever possible, it's really best to try your kid out in the car seat before buying it (and try in the car too)!

"The safest car seat is in the one that best fits your vehicle, your child, and will be used correctly 100% of the time"
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #76
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thank you for asking. I see this all the time with people driving around. ALWAYS put the handle down (at least level with the top of the seat or further behind it as long as that handle won't catch on stuff below)when an infant seat is in a car!!! These are designed to sort of flip up and cocoon the baby agains the seat back in a crash. If the handle is down it cannot do that and it increases the risk of injury and things hitting/harming your baby
This is not necessarily true anymore. Graco seats can have the handle up or down and Graco engineers actually recommend they be left up. Combi requires it be left up. Chicco and Dorel(Safety 1st, Cosco and Eddie Bauer) can be left up. Only Evenflo, Baby Trend, Peg Perego and Britax require they be down. The important thing is to READ the manual for your seat!
Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #77
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

yeah for this post!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #78
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Actually, as stated up thread, some infant seats are perfectly safe with the handle up while the vehicle in motion. My Graco Safeseat is one of them. There is one position (not completely upright, but not all the way down) that you're not supposed to use while the vehicle is in motion, so ALWAYS check the manual of your infant seat to find out what positions are OK and which aren't.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #79
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

I know this is an old thread but I don't know what other one to ask my questions on.
My son's safety is totally important to me, but how the heck am i supposed to keep him warm and safe according to this? No Bundle me, no blankie, no coat. I saw someone on a post somewhere say to put the jacket OVER the carseat straps but that CANNOT be safe-it would change the position of the straps, pose a strangulation problem, and it would pretty much make it harder to get the baby out of the seat thereby making it unsafe in the event of a car fire. IF I put just a regular old blankie in his seat it ALWAYS ends up off him in a few minutes, alot of times falling on the dirty, gross floors when we're out in stores. Should I just keep giving it back to him dirty and germ infested?
#2-since anything then can be a projectile, I can only put things in my trunk, never bring a drink in the car or have any toys for him to play with or look at. Carseat toys will be off limits, so he will have nothing to entertain him, thereby getting bored and subjecting me to listen to his moaning and screaming while trying to drive. Yeah THAT's not hazardous.
#3-for everyone here who Cloth diapers MOST CDs add more butt fluff than normal disposables. I have encountered the problem and continue to of having to adjust the straps because the don't fit over his butt fluff. Do cloth diapers void my warranty and make him a crash dummy?

#4 why DON'T THE COMPANIES TEST THESE PRODUCTS? companies have been making strap covers, bundle mes, carseat covers, and carseat toys for decades...why haven't carseat mnf. tested them yet? even if they were to ony test the major brands they would be able to tell us with certainty if these products are safe. instead they're scaring parents with threats of child harm and not taking responsibility for carseat problems if we use any of these products. only the things they make themselves ate safe....sound like a money thing to me. if you're really concerned about infant safety you'd TEST products that are being used to speak with authority instead of threats.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #80
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litllegreekmama View Post
I know this is an old thread but I don't know what other one to ask my questions on.
My son's safety is totally important to me, but how the heck am i supposed to keep him warm and safe according to this? No Bundle me, no blankie, no coat. I saw someone on a post somewhere say to put the jacket OVER the carseat straps but that CANNOT be safe-it would change the position of the straps, pose a strangulation problem, and it would pretty much make it harder to get the baby out of the seat thereby making it unsafe in the event of a car fire. IF I put just a regular old blankie in his seat it ALWAYS ends up off him in a few minutes, alot of times falling on the dirty, gross floors when we're out in stores. Should I just keep giving it back to him dirty and germ infested?
The ARE options for keeping babies and kids warm in car seats. Dressing kids in thin layers and/or using thin fleece coats/jumpsuits will keep kids plenty warm in many climates. In colder areas you need to use a blanket over top. Use a small one and tuck it in well so it's harder to kick off. Just take it off when you go in stores. Most are heated and baby's layers should be plenty warm.
In extremely cold climates, it can be necessary to use a thicker coat or snow suite, but be smart about it! Buy one that fits snugly, and is made of efficient materials (fairly thin, but still very warm, vs. just puffy). You can test the safety of a coat by putting the child in the car seat with the coat ON, and tightening the straps as much as possible. Take the child out (don't change the straps!), take the coat off, and put the child back in the seat. Without tightening the straps at all, are they still tight enough to be safe in a crash?
There are a few safe car-warmth products avaliable too. Things like he Car Seat Poncho and the Cuddlebabe don't interfere with the safety of the car seat. If you sew, it would probably be pretty easy to make your own versions too.

#2-since anything then can be a projectile, I can only put things in my trunk, never bring a drink in the car or have any toys for him to play with or look at. Carseat toys will be off limits, so he will have nothing to entertain him, thereby getting bored and subjecting me to listen to his moaning and screaming while trying to drive. Yeah THAT's not hazardous.
Soft toys and fabric books are totally fine. And I'd guess that most parents decide that the pros outweigh the cons with regard to small plastic drink and/or snack cups. Many parents use a well secured mirror, or DVD player to entertain kids too.
When it comes to projectiles, making informed parental decisions is usually the way to go. Again, just be smart about it! Leave the huge hard plastic toys out of the car, and bring a favorite stuffed friend. Stow the groceries, library books, and flat tire kit in the trunk, but leave the box of tissues and your water bottle in the front seat.
Oh, and don't forget about playing music for entertainment (and drowning our crying) in the car!

#3-for everyone here who Cloth diapers MOST CDs add more butt fluff than normal disposables. I have encountered the problem and continue to of having to adjust the straps because the don't fit over his butt fluff. Do cloth diapers void my warranty and make him a crash dummy?
I think cloth diapers fall under the "parental decision" category. But most techs seem to think they pose little danger because, while thick, CDs aren't usually very puffy, and probably won't compress too much in a collision.

#4 why DON'T THE COMPANIES TEST THESE PRODUCTS? companies have been making strap covers, bundle mes, carseat covers, and carseat toys for decades...why haven't carseat mnf. tested them yet? even if they were to ony test the major brands they would be able to tell us with certainty if these products are safe. instead they're scaring parents with threats of child harm and not taking responsibility for carseat problems if we use any of these products. only the things they make themselves ate safe....sound like a money thing to me. if you're really concerned about infant safety you'd TEST products that are being used to speak with authority instead of threats.

To what standards should these products be tested too? The government would have to set test standards first before anything could be tested. And even if the government decides that ALL products involved in child safety need to be tested (or just products involved in child car safety? what about the products that can be used in the car, OR in the stroller?). Then what? ALL the car seat manufacturers should test ALL "aftermarket products"? Even "only the major brands" is a LOT of products, that would each have to be tested with every car seat made by every company. It's just not feasible or realistic.
Hope this helps!
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote