Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #81
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat covers, strap pads, and piddle pads - PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT

They may be hard to find, but Graco makes a line of carseat accessories that they have tested WITH THEIR SEATS. So, if you have a Graco, you might check their website and see what they have. I know there was a Bundle Me type thing, strap covers and toys.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #82
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

I have an evenflow because of the zig-zag handle..but i wish i'd gotten a graco--for alot of reasons!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #83
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the PPs have done a wonderful job of addressing your concerns, but I just had a little to add. Have you seen what the "coat trick" looks like? It doesn't change the straps at all and is totally safe. I can't see how it'd be a choking hazard at all. You just put the coat on normally, unzipped, then don't zip it up until the harness is on and tight, next to baby's body instead of over the thick coat. I love the car seat poncho idea. We don't live in a very cold climate, so I don't have one myself, but if I were any further north, I'd have one.

Fleece is an excellent alternative to down or other puffy material. It's really warm for not much bulk. You will have to adjust the straps some for switching between a t-shirt, and sweater with a fleece jacket, but those kinds of layers don't compress like a puffy snow suit does. Cloth diapers are the same way- they're bulkier than sposies, but not really very compressible.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #84
veruuca
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for posting! I would have never thought a piddle pad could be a problem!
veruuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #85
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As an FYI, the first link is no longer valid, it comes up with an error.
wild fire child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #86
collegemom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am new to this site, but just thought I would say thanks for posting this, I really didn't know there was so much that could hurt more than help! Thanks!
collegemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #87
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I will nab this and post it on my facebook. thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #88
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litllegreekmama View Post
I have an evenflow because of the zig-zag handle..but i wish i'd gotten a graco--for alot of reasons!
The evenflo zigzag handle was the most annoying thing I ever encountered. It made it harder to carry, and I just ended up buying a convertible as soon as DD had decent head control.

Also, the whole "what will I do when it's cold out?" question is kind of ridiculous imo. I hear it all the time!
I'm from Northern Manitoba, so I grew up learning how to dress for the cold. Layers, layers, layers! You can easily take them and off and put them back on.
And fleece suits are the absolute best. Here is my DD with a $9 fleece snowsuit we got from Liquidation World. (seriously, $9, and it would have been just as easy to make as long as you have basic sewing know how and a serger)

She was just over 2 months old here and had a onesie, and cotton sleeper and her fleece jumpsuit on. We were visiting my parents in January in Churchill, Manitoba. It was between -40 and -45 celcius outside. I put a warm blanket over top of her to walk to the pre-heated car and then took the blanket off. When we got to where we were going, I undid her straps, wrapped the warm blanket around her and carried her inside.
It was no extra work to go that little bit more for my childs safety, I don't see why it would be such a drag for others either. It's pretty simple imo.

Also, I'm kind of confused as to how the rf'ing mirrors are unsafe?
The only kinds I've ever found are not even actual mirrors. It's cardboard with a "mirror" sticker, usually wrapped in a teddy bear or equally soft/playful border and strap the back seat?
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #89
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Also, I'm kind of confused as to how the rf'ing mirrors are unsafe?
The only kinds I've ever found are not even actual mirrors. It's cardboard with a "mirror" sticker, usually wrapped in a teddy bear or equally soft/playful border and strap the back seat?
They make hard ones with music and all that. It can become a projectile in a crash if they come off, or a rear-facing seat will rebound into it. Rebound is something we know happens with rear-facing seats. When the car's seat cushion is what is being rebounded into, it's not a problem. When it's a hard plastic toy, it could be dangerous.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #90
novemberlily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wtf? How could they even make something like that or better yet, why would anyone ever think that is safe??

Maybe it's different in Canada, but I've never seen any hard plastic mirrors for sale here!
novemberlily is offline   Reply With Quote