Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Ha, ha, cute! (sarcastic)

My sister is a 1st grade teacher in a public school and she is anti-homeschool. So we tell her we are for sure homeschooling our 5th grader and she really is trying to be positive...I'll give her that much. Her advice to me was to get my hands on a copy of what 5th graders learn and be sure she learns everything on that list and know that the list is the "bare minimum" of what they will be taught. Ha! She said that at least this way we know we are keeping up with the "standard." I almost got sick from laughing so hard.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ha, ha, cute! (sarcastic)

does she perhaps mean that the information will be presented in the learning style that will appeal to the majority of the students, whom will still not retain 90% of it, the rest will be in the dark, but shuffled along to grade 6 anyhow?

daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know, my sil is an elementary school teacher too. My dd spent a week last summer with my mil and my sil planned out school for the whole week, schedules, and kept logs and all that stuff. Then she sent home a bunch of stuff with me. It was cute and funny.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

standard? what standard?

just ftr, I always blew by every standard every time I was tested growing up. I was hs'd K-12. Even my worst subject (math) was right about grade level.

Tell her that homeschoolers do well because they get personalized attention.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinmom View Post
I know, my sil is an elementary school teacher too. My dd spent a week last summer with my mil and my sil planned out school for the whole week, schedules, and kept logs and all that stuff. Then she sent home a bunch of stuff with me. It was cute and funny.
Aww. Poor thing goes for a visit and has to "go to school".
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm feeling a bit sarcastic today, so this is all said with my tongue planted firmly in cheek.....

Lesseee.....if you're going to make sure your kiddo gets "standard" learning, you'll be sure to teach her how to walk in a line quietly, how to ask for help when she doesn't understand something (make sure she KNOWS all civilized people raise their hand and wait to be called in turn, because that's how real life works). Oh, and be SURE to make sure she can walk across a cafeteria with a tray full of food without spilling. Oh yes, and while you're at it, you'll just HAVE to have the "standard" sex ed class this year, because this is the year she's on track to learn about periods and erections and how to use a condom and what AIDS is, and be sure she repeats the phrase "say no to drugs" at least twenty-five times a week.

FWIW, my mom stopped asking the "are they meeting the minimum standards" question after my 5th grade son explained the physics behind flight to her and blew her away by smirking, "Grandma, don't you teach your students about Bernoulli's Principle?"
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
CutiesNCotton
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tested in 5th grade at an 8th grade level after being homeschooled.

CutiesNCotton is offline   Reply With Quote