Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
bagjunkie4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question an email from my environmentalist pal...

I got this email from my environmentalist pal. I sent her an email about cloth diapers since she lives about 15 mins away from me. I feel so broken down. Tell me what you think I should do...

You even found new stuff on the internet than I did...I've
never heard of some of that stuff that you are talking
about....pockets?? hemp diapers?? etc. The brands
that I am familiar with are "My lil' Miracle" and
"Bumpkins" I had terrycloth which dry faster than
cotten, but less soft. I like the snaps better than
velcro, for sure. I had 2 diff. sizes that lasted my
kids (becuz they are skinny) but most people need 3
sizes to last till potty training. So it IS a very
expensive venture to start off on your own. It is best
if you can get them given to you, or what I did for
my first baby was register for them for my staff Baby shower ;
they all chipped in, so I didn't ever buy any myself. Also,
they save more money over the long run, if you use with
multiple kids over time....like if you used with all 4 girls, you
would've saved $2,000-$3,000. I'm not trying to tell
you it is too late for Sarah; better late than never,
but if you do have to buy them yourself, that is alot
for one baby if you know for sure you won't have any
more kids. Also, like you said very hard if you don't
have your own washer dryer you have to add expense for
coin machines, plus inconvenience to walk twice a
week. I would almost reccomend not going for it....I
really hate to say that becuz I am such an
environmentalist, but under your circumstances (last
kid, have to buy yourself,coin laundry mat) I would
say it's not worth it. I'm really proud of you for considering
the idea. But seems not best for your situation.

Sorry its so long email from her. I'm lost... I will go ahead and do cd but meantime, is she making sense or is she telling me something that I don't want to hear? what she told me is all true about walk outside to other apartment bldg to do laundry/have to drive to laudermat too. All that stuff.

Good night you guys! I'm off to bed wondering what I should do..

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:
Re: an email from my environmentalist pal...

With your baby being six months old, you'll have even less expense w/ cloth (probably start in med or larges!). You can spend a little or a lot w/ cloth. Prefolds and basic covers are the most economical, or an all-in-two system like daisy doodles.

Anyway, you also have resale value to figure in...so I definitely think it could still save you money. There are so many other reasons to do cloth too: better for baby, environment, cute factor, fun.

Your laundry situation isn't one I've managed, but I know many have. Aren't you making the walk for clothes laundry anyway though?

I really love cloth diapering and hate spending money on sposies, so I would say go for it!

Sorry you were discouraged by a friend. You came to the right place to hear the other side though!

Last edited by mama_times5; 07-10-2007 at 09:57 PM.
mama_times5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

If you think doing it would bring you pleasure and the money is not critical, go for it. If you think the things she is mentioning would bug you enough to ruin the experience for you, don't.

As for whether you can save money -- sure you can. If you buy prefolds & covers you will save. Or, if money is not so important, you can buy more expensive cute diapers just for the enjoyment (and get some of the money back on resale).

And you may not have any more kids to pass them down to, but you know if you sell them used at a fair price, you will be making someone very happy and the diapers will get used! Or you could even donate to Miracle Diapers.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'd have to disagree on the "it's too late" comment. We started when Maddie was 7M, and it was easier, because we just leaped right into larges and I won't ever have to size her up. Plus, most CDs have a great resale value, so it is definitely not money lost. If you are buying smart, meaning used when you can and not buying frivolously, then you can definitely save money. As for a laundromat, you're probably not paying much more than most of us pay in electric/water bills for running it at home. I think it's worth it!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
curlymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say that 6 months is not too late! I was expecting to see that your little one was 2 years old, or something like that (which still isn't too late.....). We didn't start until my baby was 13-months.

Anyways, you can totally save money, especially by buying used diapers, but even with buying new diapers. We use a laundromat in our condo complex, and while it is definitely more inconvenient than having a washer and dryer in our home, I still think that we are saving money.

It can be expensive to start out, but you don't have to do all the different sizes. There are lots of one-size diapers out there that you could probably start using now that would last until potty training.

I'm sorry your friend was so discouraging. I hope you find a system that works for you and your budget!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

Do you sew? You can save beau coup bucks making them yourself!!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

all i have to say is she spelled bumkins wrong
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #8
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the other posters. It is not too late. And you will already head to the laundromat once a week anyways so now you will have one more trip, maybe 2 depending on the amount of cloth that you have. Not a big deal. Take your DD for a walk and wait then come home with it! Even with prefolds and covers you can resell them so you will still get part of your money back! You friends does make some good points...for a person who is looking for a reason NOT to cloth. But if it something that you WANT to do then I say go for it! Danni

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's never too late to help save the Planet. Not only are you saving money, protecting the environment , but it's more comfy for you LiL one to be in soft cotton ect , then a plastic diaper. I know I wouldn't want to wear a Maxi pad as underwear. ( I use cloth pads) But you get the idea........ For me saving money wasn't the main reason for cloth diapering. It was the comfort factor and The Green Factor I just bought Maddie a shirt that says " Love is Patient, Love is kind, Love is having a ...... FLUFFY BEHIND !!!!

Last edited by fsufan; 07-11-2007 at 06:06 AM.
fsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan View Post
It's never too late to help save the Planet. Not only are you saving money, protecting the environment , but it's more comfy for you LiL one to be in soft cotton ect , then a plastic diaper. I know I wouldn't want to wear a Maxi pad as underwear. ( I use cloth pads) But you get the idea........ For me saving money wasn't the main reason for cloth diapering. It was the comfort factor and The Green Factor I just bought Maddie a shirt that says " Love is Patient, Love is kind, Love is having a ...... FLUFFY BEHIND !!!!
Oh, I need that shirt....for me!

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote