Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: an email from my environmentalist pal...

http://www.cafepress.com/diaperpin/2701223

This is where I got the shirt

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is NEVER to late to cloth diaper and it CAN be done with VERY little money to start out with. If I had never found websites like this I would have only invested $150 and stayed with that system. Also,that $150 I spent on diapers sold on Ebay after they were USED for more than I paid for them. (That is what sold my husband on cloth )

I think the only thing I would at all think about is what type of cloth to get since you are using coin operated laundry~

Sme people put TONS of soap/fabric softener in with their clothes and that leads to buildup on the machine which can transfer to your diapers.

I think me personally I would use flats/prefolds and maybe some fitteds that don't have internal soakers and then get some cute covers since most covers actually work better if the end up with a load that has fabric softener in it.The prefolds are very easy to care for from what I hear plus they wash up well and dry fast which is a great thing regardless of where anyone does laundry.

I would stay clear of fleece and suedecloth since both tend to get soap build=up REALLY easily.

Oh, I might just strip one of the washers and use that same washer each time for my diapers IF I went with pockets and AIO's.

Send your friend a link to this site she needs it

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan View Post
It's never too late to help save the Planet. Not only are you saving money, protecting the environment , but it's more comfy for you LiL one to be in soft cotton ect , then a plastic diaper. I know I wouldn't want to wear a Maxi pad as underwear. ( I use cloth pads) But you get the idea........ For me saving money wasn't the main reason for cloth diapering. It was the comfort factor and The Green Factor I just bought Maddie a shirt that says " Love is Patient, Love is kind, Love is having a ...... FLUFFY BEHIND !!!!
WOW I want that shirt too....and I agree never too late!! My dd didnt start until she was 10 mos. Plus....just asking...how can you be 100% sure that there will never be another little one?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #14
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree Prefolds are the best . That's what we use. I've prob tried EVERY dipe out there and now we are using pf's almost 100% of the time. You can buy a few covers and your good too go. We don't use covers unless we go out. Not even at night. I can stuff her pf just right and she doesn't leak at all. Or she'll wear a Beetle Bottom of mine. They cost a lot less and if you want to embellish them w/ fabric ., appliques, so they aren't boring and plain , or you can dye them. , ....... The possibilities are endless w/ pf's...... I love making Maddie matching pf/shirt/dress sets. I think it Looks sooo cute.

Last edited by fsufan; 07-11-2007 at 05:59 AM.
fsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
bagjunkie4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What can you use with pf? Do you use soakers/liners with it? And why is it easier to use? Can you post the link that show what it looks like? You mentioned that you dont use covers sometimes, how? Sorry Im an idiot!

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
Shawnah
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If anything that would push me to prove her wrong You know what is best for you!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 AM   #17
mamaejb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: an email from my environmentalist pal...

I don't think it's too late either. I didn't start cd'ing until my son was 8m old AND he is my last baby. While I'm not saving money(because I buy a lot of diapers ), I AM helping the environment, plus CD'ing is much better for my son's sensitive skin. Do what you want to do, don't let her discourage you.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #18
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #19
DukeyMama
Registered Users
seller

After reading that e-mail, I would buy PFs and covers and prove her wrong. Of course, I wouldn't CD for that reason alone. You know you want to CD, you will save money if you start now, and you know it's better for the environment and your child.

Also, I can't believe that your friend would be so discouraging or that an environmentalist wouldn't champion you on your decision. It makes me think she wants to be a martyr and if you CD too, then she's not anymore. I could be way off though. It was just her tone.
DukeyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #20
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

I think the advantages of prefolds in your situation are low cost and low maintance. As far as the later, pockets and AIOs usually have a synthetic layer near the skin that can have soap build up easily (potentially a larger problem w/ coin laundry, other people's laundry/softners in the machines). When that happens, you need to strip them w/ lots of washes and hot water, which would be a real pain w/o your own machine. Some pocket inserts and most AIOs also take a long time to dry. I still put a fleece liner in my prefolds (cheap, just cut strips from fabric store fleece). This gives a stay-dry layer and makes poop come off easier into the toilet. These are not built into the diaper though, so you could always toss them and cut more if you had build up issues.

And I couldn't do coverless often around here. You have to be much more aware of when they pee and change quickly or you'll end up w/ wet carpet/couch... It is great for the bottom, airing out, but not for everyone.