Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #21
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: an email from my environmentalist pal...

I don't think it's too late!
I do admit that I don't know if I'd CD if I had to use a laundromat, though. But that entirely depends on how much of a pain/extra work/time crunch it is to do a couple of extra loads of laundry a week there. I guess I would avoid pockets or fleece-lined diapers if possible because I imagine build-up would be a problem with commercial machines. I think prefolds and good quality covers that would stand up to the commercial machines (like BSWW) would be ideal, plus prefolds are so useful for other things.
Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #22
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan View Post
It's never too late to help save the Planet. Not only are you saving money, protecting the environment , but it's more comfy for you LiL one to be in soft cotton ect , then a plastic diaper. I know I wouldn't want to wear a Maxi pad as underwear. ( I use cloth pads) But you get the idea........ For me saving money wasn't the main reason for cloth diapering. It was the comfort factor and The Green Factor I just bought Maddie a shirt that says " Love is Patient, Love is kind, Love is having a ...... FLUFFY BEHIND !!!!
I totally agree with teh other posters. We started CD with Branden when he was 7m and I have realy enjoyed it. I think even with one kid being in cloth its going to save me money. Also- when I buy an expensive dipe, I am also considering its resale value. I say go for it... if you dont like it you can always switch back.. or use both. Good luck MAMA

As for the quote- Love is patient, Love is kind, Love is having a fluffy behind
My friend who helped me get into CD actually thought of that for Diaperpin.. I thought that was so cool when I found out.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #23
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I didn't start cding until Sage was 17 months and she is my last! I knew we had at least a year of diapers ahead of us and that that was around 2,000 diapers.

It makes no sense to say it is too late as unless you bought a one size system for your newborn you would be buying all new diapers around right now anyway as you moved to med or large.

a 6 month old probably has 2 years of diapering or more ahead (unless you have an early learner) in 2 years (starting at a 6 month old) it would probably be around 5,000 diapers. A sposie casts approx. $0.25 so that is $1,250 worth of sposies
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #24
cutiebatootie'smom
Registered Users

My Mood:

IMO your friend is totally wrong! I did not start CD'ing my 1st two until like 9 months old. Eddie I started very part time at like 4 months and by 6-7 months we were full time. I never used a laundry mat because with my 1st Ds when we had no washer and dryer there was a diaper service in our area so I didn't have to wash at all (that was nice).

I also agree with prefolds and covers. Until Eddie came along there weren't the choices we have now and the choices we did have were to expensive for me so I used prefolds. With My DD I bought 2 dozen DSQ prefolds and like 4 Gerber vinyl pull up pants with pins. I made some fleece liners and wala we had CD's.

Also, with this being your last child, how does that factor in as a reason NOT to CD? Some women have only 1 child, some don't start CD'ing until their last, and like me God sometimes suprises us with a new baby years after we think we are done!

I am blessed that my niece is pregnant with her 2nd child and will be CD'ing. She also CD'd her 1st with FB's but I will be passing on my entire stash to her when Eddie potty trains.

I say go for it mama! It is not too late!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #25
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Prefolds IMO are great in your situation because not only like pp have said, you don't have to worry about buildup, but also they usually dry in 1 cycle in the dryer. Fitteds take forever to dry, and I don't have any AIO but I've heard the same thing.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #26
fsufan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagjunkie4 View Post
What can you use with pf? Do you use soakers/liners with it? And why is it easier to use? Can you post the link that show what it looks like? You mentioned that you dont use covers sometimes, how? Sorry Im an idiot!

Thanks.
You can use just about anything in a pf . I use a flat diaper folded into thirds, microfiber towel , lay a liner/soaker on top and put a piece of fleece onto to keep her dry. The pf isn't too bulky and she stays dry....I don't use covers most of the time, I just keep checking her bum . It's really np at all for me. The pf only gets damp not soaked through, kinda like wool covers get damp. So the carpet / couch ect doesn't get wet .... If you line the pf right it'll work. My Beetle Bottom (tm) is a semi~waterproof pf. It has a "hidden " layer of PUL under the embellished fabric.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #27
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I know everyone is suggesting prefolds, but what about flats for you EXPESCIALLY since you dont have a machine at home? you can get a few dz flats, and some covers, AND a diaper sprayer and hand wash them in the sink( the sprayer being to get rid of the extra poo in the potty so you dont have to deal with that ) Seems to me THAT would be REALLY ideal for you I have some pull up covers you can have by bummis if youd like them, they are great, we just dont use them
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #28
Ilikecloth
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I was gonna add that if you did decide to wash in the sink that you can just take the dipes with you when you go to the 'mat to wash normal clothes for a good ole washing then, but you can use "natural" products to help disenfect diapers as a machine would, plus with them being flats they are SUPER easy to get clean and SUPER SUPER fast at drying !
Ilikecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #29
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsufan View Post
http://www.cafepress.com/diaperpin/2701223

This is where I got the shirt

Whoa!! That's a lot of fluffy behind gear

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 07-11-2007 at 07:48 AM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #30
mama_times5
Registered Users
Formerly: mama_times4
seller

My Mood:

She's right about the flats.

Also, I was just thinking that Daisy Doodles would be even less bulk (on baby and to/from the laundry). This would be a more "modern" system if you prefer such. They are AI2, covers w/ snap in soakers (absorbant part). My first order hasn't arrived yet, but I'm told they work great and are very trim. The soakers are usually lined w/ suedecloth or microfleece, but she has a bamboo velour option that would be really nice (a little splurge) and not be a build-up risk. These soakers are tiny and would be EASY to hand wash if you ever needed to. You could always still lay in fleece liners if you wanted as well.
http://www.daisy-doodles.com/store/

I don't know how old your older kids are, but the AI2s would be a little easier if you are expecting them to help w/ diapering (no folding...).