Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
615onmylife
Registered Users

For Mamas with preemies

My baby isn't due until late August, but with recent appointments && ultrasounds, its looking like he will be here before the end of the month.

I'm almost 34 weeks... I just wanted to know if any mamas with babies born around 34-36 weeks have had any problems with developmental delays, colic, etc..

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: For Mamas with preemies

Both of my boys were born at 34 weeks, one 34 weeks and 2 days, the other 34 weeks and 1 day. They were small because they IUGR...they were both 3# 7oz. They were super super healthy. The first time I did not get the steriod injection for the lungs but the second time I did bc I was gestationally diabetic and they needed to do it for that reason. BUT that being said. Neither one of my boys needed to be on O2. There were no serious anything. They both spent 2 weeks in the NICU because they could not keep their temp on their own because they literally did not have an oz of fat on their bodies. And they needed to learn how to eat. I recommend researching as much as you can now, and finding a lactation consultant, I know many many NICUs have great resources, otherwise find a LLL consultant now before you go in and let them know what is going on...they will be awesome in helping you. Nursing a preemie can be very very difficult but it can be done. You can PM me if you would like to and I can share more.

My preemies are now 3 years old, there are no developmental delays with him, he has the speech of a 5 year old and otherwise is a rough and tumble little 3 year old boy. And my other is 9 months old and he is pulling himself to standing and doing everything that he should be doing as well!

The only other thing I will tell you, is that when you are going through the emotions of having a preemie and a babe in the NICU, try not to blame yourself, but allow yourself to feel and go through every emotion you are having rational or not. Just always remember that it is not your fault. It is an emotional rollercoaster and my first time I stuffed my emotions and got really really angry with myself and the world, and took it out on a lot of people....I was really difficult to deal with. I am a very good advocate for my children, but with my first they did nto take me as seriously because I was not a pleasant person to deal with...lol but my second, I allowed myself to grieve not having a "normal" baby and birth, and I allowed the tears and so forth, and I advocated for him, but at the same time was able to deal really really well with the drs.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son was born at 36w6d- basically term by U/S (they thought he may have been earlier by the way he was acting) but he had respiratory distress and had to be in the NICU for 10 very long days- I'm only mentioning this because we were totally unprepared for this and I think if I had suspected that this may happen maybe I could have mebtally prepared myself for that whole NICU. I hope your baby doesn't have any issues-from my observance many don't but just try to ready yourself in case.
He's 5 weeks old now and is doing fine. We had some issues in the very beginning with bf'ing but he's doing well now.
I have no idea how much control you have over when your baby is born but I would try to keep him in as long as possible.
Good luck mama.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post

The only other thing I will tell you, is that when you are going through the emotions of having a preemie and a babe in the NICU, try not to blame yourself, but allow yourself to feel and go through every emotion you are having rational or not. Just always remember that it is not your fault. It is an emotional rollercoaster and my first time I stuffed my emotions and got really really angry with myself and the world, and took it out on a lot of people....I was really difficult to deal with. I am a very good advocate for my children, but with my first they did nto take me as seriously because I was not a pleasant person to deal with...lol but my second, I allowed myself to grieve not having a "normal" baby and birth, and I allowed the tears and so forth, and I advocated for him, but at the same time was able to deal really really well with the drs.
I wish someone would have told me that before hand-I still feel guilty about what my little guy had to go through. I didn't get maad just really sad-postpartum hormones don't help either!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My 34weeker stayed in the nicu only 2 weeks waiting to nipple all feeds and get over a bout of sepsis. She was EXTREMELY vulnerable to germs and ended up with RSV and a collapsed lung despite our every precaution at 5 weeks old. So onward and upward to PICU. Since then she's developed pretty much on her adjusted age schedule for milestones. You wouldn't think 6 weeks would throw you off so much but it really does. She's 2 1/2 now and completely caught up and then some. Her only lasting issues are sensory. Her pain threshold is severely elevated due mostly according to her docs to the intense pain inflicted on an immature nervous system when born, ie, iv's, blood gases, lumbar puncture, collapsed lung, adhesive tape holding on the pulse ox and ng tube, etc. She's also got some feeding sensory issues due to being ng tube-fed according to her doctor. But otherwise, she's been mostly healthy and a very happy kid. She surpasses her peers in large motor skills and can talk you into an early grave.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
ABSOLUTELY! I know a lot of moms of micro's look at me and knokw that I flipped out each and every day for 2 weeks and they think, "my god, if she only had to do what we did." And I really do feel for them. And other parents and non-parents will look at your slightly small baby and ask about prematurity. You will say, "oh he was born 6 weeks early." And then they look at you with all seriousness and say, "oh yeah? that's not bad." Not bad? You mean my child missed out on a month and a half of growing time and that's "not bad?" Give me a break. Take the time mama. Grieve your medicalized hospital birth if that's what it comes down to. You are no less a mama because you didn't take him home right away. The NICU staff are NOT parents. Advocate for your baby, do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. they are there for you and your baby. I allowed myself to be pressured into leaving the room for Sara's lumbar puncture and her screams without me being there still give me nightmares. Her nurse actually took me forcibly down to the cafeteria and bought me lunch and hugged me while I sobbed. He was amazing. So take care of yourself and let the tears flow. They will come.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

My DD was born at 33 weeks. We had a placenta abruption though so there was a lotta stuff going on that doesn't "normally" happen at non mircopreemie birth. Long story short, she is brain damaged and they thought she'd have severe CP and be mentally retarded. But...they were wrong. Baby's are amazingly tough! I agree with previous poster, be an advocate for your child. Reseach EVERYTHING. Know everything they do. And read your baby's chart even if they discourage it. It's your right.

When my baby came home after 6 weeks, she was the sweetest nicest tempered baby. Until toddlerhood that is.
maggie_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
615onmylife
Registered Users

We are all shooting for AT LEAST 36 weeks- but at 33 weeks 5 days, I'm 2 centimeters and having bouts of contractions that are pretty intense. My midwife says that if labor continues to progress- she wouldn't try to stop it- my baby is healthy (not to mention large! Already over 5 pounds) and she says he will probably be able to go home from the hospital with me 48 hours after birth as long as he is eating well.

Fingers crossed though <3
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Both my girls were 36 weekers... niether had problems at birth. Good luck mama!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but are they going to give you turbutaline or anything to stop it? I went into early labor several times & was hospitalized & was given meds all times & thankfully labor was stopped. I would hope they would do the same. Every day longer is better for babe, even if it's just a day or a few hours.

I would also leave dilated a little more but labor would stop so that as good. Same thing w/DS#1 but then when they stopped stopping the labor the booger wouldn't come out & I was overdue!!! LOL Go figure! And I walked around at almost 5 w/him & then went into labor on my own eventually.

W/DS#2 I ended up having him at 36 & I think 4 days. He's had no problems thus far. Only thing was at birth he was a little blue & needed some oxygen.