Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For Mamas with preemies

Both of my DC were born at 35 weeks. My DS had problems controlling hit temp, but that was about it. DD has problems breathing and was in the NICU for about 2 weeks. She is absolutely fine now with no delays.

I hope your little guy stays in for as long as he can! Hang in there

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
615onmylife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but are they going to give you turbutaline or anything to stop it? I went into early labor several times & was hospitalized & was given meds all times & thankfully labor was stopped. I would hope they would do the same. Every day longer is better for babe, even if it's just a day or a few hours.

I would also leave dilated a little more but labor would stop so that as good. Same thing w/DS#1 but then when they stopped stopping the labor the booger wouldn't come out & I was overdue!!! LOL Go figure! And I walked around at almost 5 w/him & then went into labor on my own eventually.

W/DS#2 I ended up having him at 36 & I think 4 days. He's had no problems thus far. Only thing was at birth he was a little blue & needed some oxygen.

My midwife says she wouldn't stop it because I am so close to 34 weeks and she doesn't stop labor past 34 weeks unless the baby is too tiny to thrive && mine is big so she really seems unconcerned... But then again- I am also delivering at one of the best hospitals in the country for pre-mature births.. Vanderbilt Hospital..
Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but are they going to give you turbutaline or anything to stop it?
I was given magnesium with DS and turbutilane with DD and neither of them stopped anything. Both made me feel awful! Magnesium made me feel like I was on fire and the turbutilaine made me feel SO dizzy I could barely walk. With DD the nurse was like I know I won't be seeing you soon, and sent me home. I was back within a couple of hours and dilated to 8, and when she saw me she turned and left my room really quick So I guess if the baby wants to come, he's going to come!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was born at 34 weeks after many weeks of bedrest in and out of the hospital with every medication to stop labor you can imagine--most worked for a little while.

At 31 weeks I was dialated to 4-5 cm so they dosed me up and keep me in the hospital. A week later I had actually undialated so they sent me home at 1cm... long story short he was born at 34 weeks and was 5 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches. Big for 34 weeks. They whisked him off to the NICU for about 30 minutes brought him to me to nurse and then kept him another 30 minutes before the Dr asked why he was there... He squeaked--sounded like a puppy!-- for about 24 hours and that kept everyone on high alert but he ended up being find... going home after 3 days including the extra day for jaundice. He's smallish now--about 20 lbs at 13 months but perfectly happy,healthy, and smart! Here are pics of DS in the hospital and having cake at his first b-day party.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD was a 34 weeker and she was in the NICU for 1 week, but I think that was mostly because they tried to slow labor then gave me pitosin 3 days later and induced Not sure why they did that, but the dr was an a$$ and told me he just tried to stop labor to covere his a$$ and 3 days later decided it wasn't working. . . DD had a heart murmur from a valve that has since closed and had breathing problems that I attribute to the narcotics I had after they gave me pitosin. They did not even offer me steroids to mature her lungs, though, so she may have had breathing problems from being preemie. She also had jaundice which I attribute to the pitosin. I could not stop pushing when the dr told me to and bruised her head She was on oxygen and under the billy lamp for a week and there was NO BFing support in the NICU. They didn't want me to try because of her breathing issues and gave her a bottle, so she never really took to BFing. She had bronchialitis for her first 5 months and she didn't walk until she was 13-15 months along, but she is almost 3 now and no developmental issues whatsoever. In fact, she is ahead of any 3 year old in height, weight, and development IMO.

On another note, I am 31 weeks now and hoping to get to 36 or 38 with this one. And I did NOT keep the same doctor, understandibly. I am using MWs this time.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #16
615onmylife
Registered Users

Thank you so much for posting the pics! I have tried to research 34-weekers on the net, but all I find are very frail sick babies && its good to know they don't all look like corpses at birth! I was really afraid of that. He is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikiko View Post
My DS was born at 34 weeks after many weeks of bedrest in and out of the hospital with every medication to stop labor you can imagine--most worked for a little while.

At 31 weeks I was dialated to 4-5 cm so they dosed me up and keep me in the hospital. A week later I had actually undialated so they sent me home at 1cm... long story short he was born at 34 weeks and was 5 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches. Big for 34 weeks. They whisked him off to the NICU for about 30 minutes brought him to me to nurse and then kept him another 30 minutes before the Dr asked why he was there... He squeaked--sounded like a puppy!-- for about 24 hours and that kept everyone on high alert but he ended up being find... going home after 3 days including the extra day for jaundice. He's smallish now--about 20 lbs at 13 months but perfectly happy,healthy, and smart! Here are pics of DS in the hospital and having cake at his first b-day party.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 615onmylife View Post
Thank you so much for posting the pics! I have tried to research 34-weekers on the net, but all I find are very frail sick babies && its good to know they don't all look like corpses at birth! I was really afraid of that. He is beautiful!
No problem mama! I've got lots pics... here are a few more.

My one recommendation is not to look online and stress yourself out--it will only make things worse. Just relax and let things be... And of course be a couch potato!

2 days old in the hospital...

5 days old...

7 days old... still yellow from jaundice
Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #18
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

If your babe is 5 lbs at 33 weeks he won't be a skeletal preemie. Mine was 4 lbs 11 oz when she was born at 33 and she just looked like a smaller (hairyer) version of a normal baby.

Here she is at 3 days, and then at 2 weeks which would have been 35 weeks, and then her now.

If my baby had just been born early not with the placenta abruption she would have been fine from the start. I wish you well!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was born at 34 weeks 6 days and she has done great!! She had no lung problems or anything serious. They kept her in NICU for 8 days simply because she lost weight initially (from 5lbs 2 oz to 4lbs 8 oz) and they didn't want to release her until she showed a "steady gain" (which I'm sure she would have done much more quickly if I'd had more access to her and less pressure about the nursing, "how long, how much, your time's up, we have to get her back into the warm bed, etc"). At that age though she just looked like a tiny version of a full-term baby.

She did have jaundice...but so did my full term son. She had a bit of a reflux problem...she was prescribed meds but we didn't use them and she quickly outgrew it. The only other thing I've noticed with her is that she seems to be more susceptible to respiratory problems in the Fall (coughs hang on with her FOREVER and always sound terrible) but she could have been prone to that regardless of when she was born. She walked at 13.5 months and she was slightly "behind" all of the benchmarks with some of the other physical stuff but her mind has always been VERY advanced.

No worries, mama! Your little one should be just fine but it would certainly benefit him to stay a little longer. So, if you can, relax, put your feet up and help him stay in there as long as possible.
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is a pic of DD who was 35 weeks, and weighed 5lbs 10oz.