Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: For Mamas with preemies

he's gorgeous! I forgot how hairy they are! Awwwwwww! Here's my Sara at just under 5lbs at 1 week old(born at 34w1d).

we have barely any nicu pics and I regret it. There's only one other and you can barely see her. take tons of pics mama. it flies so fast!

Here's Sara now at 2 1/2! It's blurry because that's how 2 year olds are!

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
615onmylife
Registered Users

Thank you all for the pics, they are so reassuring!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did they give you the steriod shots to boost your babe's lung development? If not ask for it... I'm sure it's why my DS did so well.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #24
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

my daughter too. it's a set of 2 shots 12 hours apart(in your tushie and they BURN like FIRE!). they are good for 2 weeks I believe??? And they supposedly mature the baby's lungs a little faster but they also depress the immune system because they are steroids. I truly believe that's why my daughter was breathing well at birth and never needed more than a little supplemental oxygen to pink her up. But that's also a factor in her bout with sepsis, which made her stay longer, so it was a catch-22.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Shaysbabygirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my girls were born at 36wks on the dot.

London and I went home 24 hours later, no problems at all, except some jaundice, but we didn't have to do lights or blankets or anything, just sunlight. London tried to come out at 26 wks, and we had steroid shots at 26wks.

Robynne and I were in the hospital for 48hrs (standard down here) and there were no problems whatsoever. She came home with me, and had jaundice just like london, and it was taken care of with sunlight. Robynne never put me into PTL, and so we didn't get steroid shots with her.

Good luck

HUGS!

Last edited by Shaysbabygirls; 07-14-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Shaysbabygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #26
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second daughter was born at 36 weeks to the day due to severe pre eclampsia. She weighed 4lbs 10oz and was 17inches long. She was perfectly healthy at birth and we went home the next day. She does not have any developmental delays or anything, she's a normal 4yo.

My third daughter was born at 37.3weeks and had breathing problems. She spent 8 days in the NICU.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #27
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikiko View Post
Did they give you the steriod shots to boost your babe's lung development? If not ask for it... I'm sure it's why my DS did so well.
I got the shot with DD, I think her problems would have been worse if I hadn't.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #28
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had one that did come at 36 weeks on the nose and he had to stay in the NICU for 7 days....I didn't get to see him until he was three days and wasn't able to touch or hold him until he was 5 or 6 days because it would stress him out (he was hooked up to machines like a mini robot, and lights/buzzers would start flashing, it was awful). His lungs were not mature, and he did have to have steroids to help them along. he was 6 lbs. 13 oz. at birth, and came home at 6 lbs. 3 oz. I felt horribly guilty that I couldn't manage to keep him in. I contracted for about 3 weeks, and didn't seriously think I was going to have him (my last pg, I had the magnesium/terbutaline, and she stayed in even after the meds stopped - at a 38 wk. amnio, her lungs weren't developed enough, they refused to deliver until 39 wks.) but I went in to the hospital for what I thought was a routine hook-me-up-to-IV short stay, and wound up being dilated to a 4 and headed in for delivery!! I had no time to think about it. Mama, if I were you I'd do my best to make sure your little one is kept inside as long as possible. My little guy had/has no issues, but it's horrible to see your little one struggling even for a short while - the guilt is so intense, mixed in with the post partum hormonal ups and downs on top of it.

Last edited by ZooCrew10; 07-14-2007 at 11:54 AM.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #29
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I had that with my 3rd pregnancy and I honestly think that's why she came out at 9 lbs. 8 oz, a little moose!!!!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #30
615onmylife
Registered Users

I haven't been given anything yet- they haven't even mentioned steroid shots to me.. but I will def. ask for it!

Quote: