Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: For Mamas with preemies

Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
I had one that did come at 36 weeks on the nose and he had to stay in the NICU for 7 days....I didn't get to see him until he was three days and wasn't able to touch or hold him until he was 5 or 6 days because it would stress him out (he was hooked up to machines like a mini robot, and lights/buzzers would start flashing, it was awful). His lungs were not mature, and he did have to have steroids to help them along. he was 6 lbs. 13 oz. at birth, and came home at 6 lbs. 3 oz. I felt horribly guilty that I couldn't manage to keep him in.
This sounds pretty much exactly like my son-he was 36w6d but there was some question if he was earlier due to the way he was breathing and all- and it was torture not to hold him and then to be discharged and have to leave him behind. I think it was seriously the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my whole life. Thankfully I have a very supportive husband and family but those ten days he was in the hospital were very difficult.
I would definitely look into the steriods and do what you can to keep baby in.

- mama to Ray Olivia and Jack
saongiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #32
"daisy knits"
My Mood:

I am so glad to hear the mix of good and bad so this mama can see having a preemie doesnt have to be scary and yet preparing is a good thing. My 32W+ dd came out at 5#8oz. and never needed any help with breathing. She was only in for 10 days (level II, not nicu) and her nurse said she must be on her way to being president someday. We really had lots of prayers and like to say she is a miracle, but maybe yours would be too, and you are already much farther along than i was... Blessings mama!
Tricia, Mama to 3!, DS (12-2-03) DD (3-2-06) DS (3-19-09)
I do custom knitting! Licensed for the Kaia babydoll dress. PM me for details...
Gallery HERE
77triciaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #33
Registered Users

You've gotten some great stories and pics so far!

I'll share mine as well. My twin boys were born at 34w2d, 4 lbs 11 oz and 5 lbs 12 oz. They did VERY well. No NICU time, just spent a few days in the special care nursery. They were on the O2 hood for a day.

They are now 9 months old. Ryker (the bigger one) is a bit behind developmentally, and is receiving therapy. Ronin (the smaller one) is about caught up. When Ronin was a tiny baby, he did suffer from reflux and he also had trouble nursing.

Here are what mine looked like:

MamaCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
Registered Users
My Mood:

My twins were born at 34w, 4d and weighed 5lbs 2oz and 5lbs 8oz. They didn't require any breathing assitance and maintained their own body temps. I did get 2 steriod shots for their lung development at 25 weeks, so that may have helped them. They were in the NICU for 4 days (hospital policy for babies under 35 weeks) and then transferred to a Special Care nursery for feeding and growing. Annaya was a pokey eater and needed a gavage tube, but she was also able to nurse from the first day. In total they spent 10 and 16 days in the hospital.

Annaya had low muscle tone and has been getting weekly physical therapy for the past year. She is getting her re-eval this month and will most likely be released from the program because she has progressed so well

Good luck with your birth and I wish you an uneventful NICU stay should it come to that.

Here are some pics-
Miella (5lbs 2 oz)

Annaya (5lbs 8oz)
Ima_to_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #35
Registered Users

My twins were 34w6d and they don't show any developmental delays. They have been smaller for their age but now they are at the 50th percetile. They did spend 9 days in the NICU. One for respitory distress and the other for feeding issues.

ETA pics 8 days old first 2 and 9 days old last one
Heidi - wife to John and SAHM to Andrew 9/4/96, Liz 12/4/98, Caleb 9/2/03, Aaron & Glory 10/20/05 and Madison 12/5/07 VBAC (born in the water!)
Sun City Babywearers co-leader

Last edited by 1bigfamily; 07-14-2007 at 09:38 PM.
1bigfamily is offline   Reply With Quote