Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
AKM
Registered Users

is this wicking and how do I fix it?

DS woke up this morning with a wetness on the outside of the PUL in the front part of his HH and belly of his pajamas (he turns to his belly to sleep). It seems as if the pee is going through the PUL, is that possible? Is that considered wicking? The same thing happened with one of the Wonderoos a few weeks back and now I only use it during the day.

Anyway, I'm a little worried about stripping or changing my wash routine drastically, but how do I fix this problem? Right now I wash diapers, microfiber and hemparoo inserts altogether (12 max) in my front loader with a little bit of Allens on hot, then an extra rinse cycle and dry on low.

Has this happened to you? How did you fix it?

Thanks so much in advance.
Amanda

Advertisement

AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Heidiliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is this wicking and how do I fix it?

I'm having the same problem with my proraps lately. My boys can pee straight through, but have no leaking at the legs at all. Now, our proraps have been around for 6 years or so, so that may be why.

I have heard that you can re-waterproof covers with a spray, but I don't know about pockets.

www.d65ppc.com - Pay Per Click Management
Heidiliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I have even with new diapers! LOL. My guy can pee an amazing amount all at once. I figured this out because I've been waking him from his morning nap and if I wake him, his diaper is dry.... then he lets loose about 15 minutes or so later and we are talking it's REALLY wet!

That being sad. I'd try just really adding some extra absorbancy where you need it. I like the ovals that come with HH Stuffins. I sometimes add two at night to a normal night diaper and at least one for naps. Makes all the difference in the world.

I consider wicking to be when the PUL isn't wet but the wetness comes out along the waistband of pants or shorts along the seams. This seems to happen when we have outter wear clothes that are just a little snug and compress the diaper.

Another trick is to dress him in fleece bottoms at night. Then even if he does wet through he's not going to wake up cold and clammy.

More than you needed to know, but I can seriously relate.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
quixb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard that you need to dry your pul on hot everyonce in awhile to keep it waterprrof..............dont know why, I just know that is what a lot of other mamas have said. So you may just want to throw them in the dryer on hot and see if that helps
Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard that drying on hot every once in awhile can help, but that drying covers and aio's constantly can wear down the waterproofness. There is a waterproofing spray that you can get to spray on the outside and this will help. I can't think of what it's called, but some of the other mamas on here will know what it is.
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
AKM
Registered Users

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

SarahJane, I tried the ovals at night and it worked. I've been using 2 microfiber towels and a hemparoo for several months now and it's amazing to me that more absorbancy is needed. He's 6 mos in a few days. I'm going to run out of pocket before he runs out of pee!
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know with our PUL covers/AIOs if they get too wet they do that. You might have to switch to a different night system... if you run out of pocket
I have to say that I never hadd that happen with proraps though ... I thought they were pee proof, of course ours are a little newer
we use prefolds or fitteds and wool.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I toss mine in the dryer every once in a while... also I've sprayed the waterproofing spray from the camping section on the outside as well & that helps!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
mamagina
Registered Users
seller