Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:
bread.. storage?

We have 1 loaf down at a time and freeze another loaf until we run out but heres the thing- unless someone knows where i can buy a small loaf, we get the big one and it get hard (not moldy though) before we can use it and so im wondering, if there some way we can store the bread to keep it fresher?

in a bread box? tupperware? plastic bag? im open to suggestions.

thanks

Jen

Advertisement

Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: bread.. storage?

We always keep all of our bread in the fridge. Since we started this, we NEVER get mold. Like, ever. We freeze if I find a bunch of bread for a really low price and then just pop it into the refridgerator to "defrost" and store. A minute in the toaster and you're good to go!

ETA: We just keep our bread in the bag.... just make sure you squeeze out the air and twist it closed.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
joolstag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdof1985 View Post
We have 1 loaf down at a time and freeze another loaf until we run out but heres the thing- unless someone knows where i can buy a small loaf, we get the big one and it get hard (not moldy though) before we can use it and so im wondering, if there some way we can store the bread to keep it fresher?

in a bread box? tupperware? plastic bag? im open to suggestions.

thanks

Jen
I always heard putting it in the fridge was the fastest way to make it stale...and sure enough, it is, check this out...

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/food...376&enotes=yes

"While a couple of the bread keepers did a good job at minimizing moisture loss, within just three days all of the artisinal loaves were shrunken, discolored, and firm - in other words, they staled. The bread stored in the refrigerator fared even worse, hardening within a day or so. Why? According to food scientists, the major reason that bread stales is not moisture loss, but rather a process called retrogradation, in which the starch molecules in the bread crystallize. Retrogradation occurs about six times faster at refrigerator temperatures (36 - 40 degrees) than at room temperature, thereby making the refrigerator the worst choice for bread storage. However, the retrogradation process does slow down significantly when bread is stored below freezing temperatures"

I guess that's why my grandmother always had a warming plate in her cupboards to keep her crackers and bread fresh
joolstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
kazmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Mom always put it in the fridge, of cousre as fast as my dad & bro went through a loaf there was no way it had time to get stale. LOL

ISO: GN babylegs
kazmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
joolstag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, and on the flip side, i'd rather have stale bread than moldy bread!

joolstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking the staleness from the fridge would also have something to do with the humidity and our climate. I've never had a problem.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I keep bread in the freezer, it stays fresh, I can use it immediately if I am using the toaster or making grilled cheese. If I want to make a regular sandwich, I take it out of the freezer, put it on the plate, it thaws in just minutes and tastes almost like it was just made.