Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
ModernMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hives from Antibiotics?

DD had a double ear infection and the Dr. put her on Amoxicillin. She has taken it at least twice before and never had any reaction. She was actually feeling a lot better and her fever was gone so I wasn't even going to start her on it but then fear won out and I did. She had one dose yesterday and two today and that's when I noticed a red rash with white blistery looking spots. So, I'm wondering if it's a reaction from the Amoxicillin. I am planning on calling the Dr. in the am. She's sleeping now but I'm nervous that she will have a worse reaction. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

ModernMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hives from Antibiotics?

Sounds like it might be. My dd and ds both are allergic to antibiotics and they both happened after having had that particular one several times prior. I would call the doc in the am and not give the meds until you are able to touch base. She shouldn't get worse overnight if she hasn't had any more of it but you could do benedryl if you would feel better.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

sounds like it http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pen...llergy/DS00620

i would have her stop taking it!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

i second the benedryl
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I was on Sulpha AB for a UTI once, and got hives on the 10th (and final) day of treatment. Sometimes, it takes multiple exposures for an allergy to develop. Benedryl is a good idea.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD had the same reaction to the Amoxicillin when she was on it. She was broken out in hives from her head down to her thighs and wheezing. There's a family history of Penicillin, Sulfa and Morphine allergies on her biodad's side. Amox is a penicillin derived anti-biotic. Cephalocyclosporins are similar in chemical makeup to penicillin, so there's a 10% chance of allergy to that class of anti-biotic as well. (My DD's ped explained this to me after bringing her in for the hives.)

Hives and wheezing are a histamine reaction to an allergen (pet dander, medicines, pollens,etc.), but if you allow them to progress, your risk of anaphylaxis shock increases due to the wheezing caused by swelling of the respiratory tract.

Get in touch with your pediatrician or the pharmacist ASAP and tell them your DC's broken out in hives from the anti-biotic. They'll make note of that reaction and make sure to never prescribe it again.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is exactly the rash my daughter got to vantin on day 5 or 6 of it. I forget. This was the first time but it was after 2 1/2 weeks of an ear infection and 2nd or 3rd antibiotic given been so long since I have forgotten. I called the ped on call and he said stop the drug immediately. Give benedryl and we went in the following day for one of the shots I think it started with an R. Got a 2nd one just over 48 hrs later and the ear infection was gone. BTW no fever here. She gets them because of wax buildup issues just like her grandma, great-grandpa, great-great-grandma, and so on .
I hope your LO feels better soon!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
jenjen31
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got hives and itched like crazy due to amox. It is definately a sign of a reaction.
Wife to Roband SAHM to Owen 1/23/09, Ryan 6/26/06, Nathan 11/08/00 and #4, a girl, Emmeline 3/05/12!
ebay feedback
jenjen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
mamapickle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My sis is a pediatric RN and told me recently that this rash is realllllly common. If I understand correctly, it not an allergy, but a reaction. My sis said that it's important not to call it an actually allergy unless your doctor says your child is actually allergic. If you say your child is "allergic" to this class of antibiotics, and but isn't really allergic, your child might have to unneccessarily take a stronger class of antibiotics. Obviously, your dr should decide this. The rash is harmless, and is sometimes helped by benadryl.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_ampirash_hhg.htm

I know nothing about this personally, only what I have read and heard from my sis.
mamapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
aliks
Registered Users
seller

that's what happened to me as a child (I remember the rash cause it freaked out classmates and they ran away from me), the docs switched me to penicillin-whichg was dumb because that made things worse-I started to swell up so now I can't take anything in the penicillin family.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote