View Poll Results: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?
Almost always in a squeaky/goofy voice 5 2.34%
Sometimes normal, sometimes goofy 136 63.55%
I always speak normally 70 32.71%
Other (? Please elaborate) 3 1.40%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliks View Post
I speak normally, but if he says something cute with his words, like when he was one he'd sing "yeahyeahyeah" I'd sing it back.

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am usually all over the place, I DO make sure I talk to him in normal words and sentences, especially when I am teaching him a word or phrase but I also think it's fun to talk silly/goofy and make funny faces...he LOVES it and we have fun with it... I do call him fun names like bubba, little man, sweet pea, silly...I also heard this on tv somewhere and I say it all the time now..."sit boo boo sit" I think it was in reference to a dog but it is cute so I say it ds sometimes.

There are times where I make my voice very serious like if he's getting into something or being mean or whatever...but then if he's doing something and maybe not paying attention I get my voice kind of high and say very sweetly "be careful" but not just in my normal voice be careful like I would tell Dh if he were going on a trip or something, so that he will pay more attention to what I am saying..does that make sense? Anyway I think it helps to give them all different emotions in your voice they LEARN alot from the tone of your voice, funny, serious, mad/upset, normal/everyday, sad, hurt, scared etc... And they will learn to show the same emotions themselves by learning it from you. anyway that may be more than you asked, sorry LOL.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
KaiyaSue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I knew I was the wierdo here. It runs in my family. My grammy still talks goofy, and so does my mom. We are all a bunch of goofballs. I amke up songs and words, and I usually dont call my kids by their names either. I usually call dd yaya kookabear, and ds buttery bean.

I do that. Poor kid probably doesn't know his name because I have a different nickname every month. Right now it's Stinker-Binker or Peanut-Beanut.
I TRY to use real words and talk to him normally as much as possible 'cause I figure it's the best way for him to learn how to talk, but the baby-talk definitely runs in my family too.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I talk to her like normal, but when we play peekaboo, I use a funny voice bc it makes her laugh Yeah she has alot of nicknames too. LOL
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I knew I was the wierdo here. It runs in my family. My grammy still talks goofy, and so does my mom. We are all a bunch of goofballs. I amke up songs and words, and I usually dont call my kids by their names either. I usually call dd yaya kookabear, and ds buttery bean.

We are pretty weird in our house too. I also grew up that way. I had about 50 nn as a kid, and so do our kids. Even DH and I call each other by weird names, and never by first name. You think your names are weird for your kids? We call our kids Tinky Shews. LOL. It started out as "stinky" and shew like something stinks. We're constantly calling them stinky or smelly, even though they totally aren't. It's just the odd way we show love.

*ETA* Also, I talk for my kids in weird voices before they talk. My DS had a southern accent, and DD spoke is a super high pitched fast voice. I really think people would think I was nuts if they spent a day at my house.

Last edited by MamaPajama79; 07-16-2007 at 07:45 PM.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
FWIW, babygaga speach annoyed the pants off me ... then I took child development courses & research shows this "Motherese" type of speaking enhances cognitive development -- now I'm all over it.
Interesting! I had no idea!
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #17
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa~BHS View Post
I always talked to my own kids normally, from day one. But I talk goofy to animals LOL
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #18
Bridym
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Its a very weird thing for me.
With my first I only ever spoke to him in a normal voice even when he was an infant and toddler.
But when I had my dd I am for some reason doing the complete opposite. I do talk to her normaly and babyish, but if I think about it I talk more babyish with her then normal.
I use to find this highly annoying when people did it, lol
and here is me now doing it with my dd.

Very big coinicedence. My ds was already talking and saying 3-4 words by the time he was 12 months. My dd says nothing, lol sometimes she will say hi, but thats rare.
I wonder if the way I talked to each of them has anything to do with their speech.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
lilgamoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes normal, sometimes goofy

RHONDA~ tradin',music lovin',sewing ,hooping hippie WAHM
lilgamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

I speak normally all the time, and use proper english. I've learned to listen to those older and wiser than me, and have taken lots of advice from ppl I look up to. This was shared with me, and I've done it since birth. I've always talked to dd, and told her what's coming next and such - so she knows what to expect. Like we are going to eat dinner, and then get a bath, or tell her mommy is going to change your diaper, etc. I guess I've talked goofy to her when I'm tickling her, or something - but it's not like a baby talk kinda goofy.

This is just me, but I can't stand when a child says "hers is going to play with me, or hers has got on blue shoes", etc. I've always used proper wording w/dd bc I'm anal about that kinda stuff.