View Poll Results: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?
Almost always in a squeaky/goofy voice 5 2.34%
Sometimes normal, sometimes goofy 136 63.55%
I always speak normally 70 32.71%
Other (? Please elaborate) 3 1.40%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #21
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?

I speak normally to her (explaining what I'm doing, what is happening, things like that), but I will repeat her "gibberish" back to her.

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

I have always tried to use a normal voice with her for the most part but I definitely still talk goofy at times. We will do different voices and noiseswhile playing.
I think it is important to teach proper speech but it is also important to have fun and teach them silliness is ok too. My 2 year old has a great vocabulary and wonderful enunciation so I am not worried.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #23
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridym View Post

Very big coinicedence. My ds was already talking and saying 3-4 words by the time he was 12 months. My dd says nothing, lol sometimes she will say hi, but thats rare.
I wonder if the way I talked to each of them has anything to do with their speech.

I think that might have more to do with birth order. It seems like in the families I know, the younger kids always speak less than the older ones.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do understand the importance of vocabulary. My dd#1 learned to speak very well early on. Ds#2 is learning words like crazy right now. I also feel it is important to have laughter and goofiness in our lives. I think everyone has their own idea of the baby voice. I think mine is a little different from the typical 'goo-goo gah-gah', 'thats a good boy' thing. I usually speak in the correct context, just in a wacky voice. And I have different names for things. I call baby legs "pumpies", because when they do the little dance their legs pump But my dd knows they are legs too.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also talk to animals the same way. DH on the other hand just gets the names without the voice. His most common name is Mr. Poopy
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
I don't think I really goofy talk to DD#1 at all. We talk to her like we do to each other. I might chop things to a "No touch." but no goofy talk here. We do mock her a little bit on how she pronounces things (like Sophie is pronounced foo-fee by her).
Ds1 was just shy of 19 months when ds2 was born. Ds2 is Drake, but Kain pronounced it "Geek"..lol, I love it.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #27
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

I love it when people speak normally to their babies/toddlers! I have a friend who is a preschool teacher and she also regularly babysits my 20 month old, and she speaks to him like a peer. (Although she reminds me that "baby talk" is good for development as well)

I love treating little children with mutual respect. I wouldn't want someone to be talking to ME all squeaky and goofy. But the thing is...

I CAN'T STOP! LOL!

I'm a TOTAL baby talker. I even go as far as to use the words that my toddler uses. (i.e. "binky" is now "geeky", "blanket" is "mimi", etc.) I'm so bad!
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #28
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstynsmom View Post
I speak normally all the time, and use proper english. I've learned to listen to those older and wiser than me, and have taken lots of advice from ppl I look up to. This was shared with me, and I've done it since birth. I've always talked to dd, and told her what's coming next and such - so she knows what to expect. Like we are going to eat dinner, and then get a bath, or tell her mommy is going to change your diaper, etc. I guess I've talked goofy to her when I'm tickling her, or something - but it's not like a baby talk kinda goofy.

This is just me, but I can't stand when a child says "hers is going to play with me, or hers has got on blue shoes", etc. I've always used proper wording w/dd bc I'm anal about that kinda stuff.
AAAUGH, I can't stand that "hers" thing either. What is THAT about? LOL!

I forgot to add here that it's also fabulous advice to start on Day 1 using normal vocabulary. I really struggle talking to my 8 and 9 year old because I continually try to change my speech so they can understand what I'm saying. I've learned from other parents that if you speak to them as if they understand, they WILL. But now that I've started a pattern of using easy vocabulary, it gets tougher and tougher to break that habit because my kids are now totally not used to hearing a big vocabulary from me.
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #29
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansMomma View Post
I am not a fan of goofy baby talk...lol
But there are times when we're playing, or reading, or something like that - when goofy talk is inevitable.
We're very silly together, but when I'm talking to him I don't do the sing-songy voice, and I hate baby-fied words.
This is us here
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #30
Harper's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I speak normally to DD. I always have. Although, when she does something rediculously cute, I just can't help it and say things like: "Big Girl!" or "You are so cute Honey Bear!". And then I look around to see if anyone has heard me!
Harper's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote