View Poll Results: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?
Almost always in a squeaky/goofy voice 5 2.34%
Sometimes normal, sometimes goofy 136 63.55%
I always speak normally 70 32.71%
Other (? Please elaborate) 3 1.40%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #31
Green~Mammy
Banned

Re: How do you talk to your baby/toddler?

I agree, I talk to my kids normally, if I am being silly like "eating" there toes or mimicking the almost 14 month old then I act silly. I am not a fan of baby talk I guess.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansMomma
I am not a fan of goofy baby talk...lol
But there are times when we're playing, or reading, or something like that - when goofy talk is inevitable.
We're very silly together, but when I'm talking to him I don't do the sing-songy voice, and I hate baby-fied words.

Advertisement

Last edited by Green~Mammy; 07-17-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #32
tillers72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

normal

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #33
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chose other b/c I ALMOST always speak normally to my LO. Only if we are playing a game do I babble to her/copy her babble, and other silly noises.
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #34
LushyLu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I chose "other".
I generally speak "normal" to my LO but using the "motherly lilt" in my voice, (ie, making it sound softer than my regular tone of voice). I use the goofy voices/faces/sounds when singing silly songs or when I'm just being goofy on purpose.

Last edited by LushyLu; 07-17-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar nazi!
LushyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #35
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I speak to him normally. I didn't always, I think I used a different voice when he was born, a softer, sweeter, higher voice than I do now.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #36
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
Am I the only one that pretty much always talks to my baby with some sort of wierd squeaky voice? It kind of wore off by about 2 1/2 or so for #1. #2 is 14.5 months, and I dont think I ever talk to him in a normal voice unless I am saying No, or excuse me (if he is into something hes not supposed to be into) How about the rest of you?
I have a very animated voice, but I do not talk out of my normal voice range to my infant. They learn speech patterns from us, and I don't want him being unable to pronounce words because he has been hearing weird things all his life.

Animation in my voice keeps him interested in what I am saying, since I use full sentences anyway. I've done this with every kid, and I have incredibly articulate children very early on.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #37
Perimyndith
Registered Users
seller

I speak to her in a normal voice and try to use complete (though short) sentences and normal phrasing. I do tend to speak more slowly and repeat things a lot, though. From early on I pretty much talked to her all. the. time. about whatever we were doing... but now at 18 months she talks so much, sometimes I feel like I can't get a word in edgewise!
Perimyndith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #38
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerstynsmom View Post

This is just me, but I can't stand when a child says "hers is going to play with me, or hers has got on blue shoes", etc. I've always used proper wording w/dd bc I'm anal about that kinda stuff.
Oh I HATE that too...I thought when she said goofy was just like saying stuff kind of squealy and high pitched or saying "hey silly little boy" or "you little turkey" stuff like that....so no I never say things like that. my nephew used to say MY instead of ME or I...so he would say My want to do it, and then all of a sudden all the OLDER ones started saying it, right as we were training him to stop doing it. Because everyone thought it was funny.

ALTHOUGH, I am VERY country so I do not always say words like other people do, like doing I usually leave off the G sound, stuff like that, Heck I don't know many words that I fully say the g or ing sound I use proper grammer for the most part, if I don't I am just being silly. other than that it's just a culture thing