Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
mommaliberal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question When does the pacifier get taken away?

After our 4th of July outing to fireworks and seeing a 5+ year old with a pacifier.. it got me thinking about when other parents discontinue pacifier use. I am kind of glad my youngest two don't take pacifiers because I don't have to deal with the taking away.. Just curious, not judging anyone for their "paci usage". lol

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When does the pacifier get taken away?

My dd gave hers up on her own at 9 months in one day. She refused it twice, so I took both of them and chunked em. Never looked back. But she wasn't really into the paci that much anyhow. Only took it really at nap and night time and we only had 2. I didn't push it on her, but it helped when she wanted to comfort nurse and was almost asleep - to switch out the boob for the paci worked great

I think most pedi's recommend by 2years I think, don't quote me on that lol
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
mommaliberal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add that I was really hoping Ryan would take a pacifer on the 3 day driving trip back from Wisconsin since he cried like 75% of the way there.. but he wouldn't.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

both of my kids only took/take theirs in their cribs and in their carseats. I dont like them just wondering around with them in their mouths. I am weird, I know LOL. but that is when they wanted them too. I just cold turkey took Ky's away at 15 months and she was fine. She is a cold turkey kind of kid I am going to take logans away soon too, he is 13 months now
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds is 9 mo and I was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
britjojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took dd's away at five months, when she seemed to no longer need to CONSTANTLY be sucking. Nursing increased a little bit for a short while, but didn't go on long.
britjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
AmandaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter "lost" hers at 12 months. She was trying to talk from behind it and you just couldn't understand her. That bugged me to no end. Within a week, girly was talking in sentences. My DS took a pacifier just long enough for me to go out and buy two more packages of the kind he liked, then he quit taking them all together.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

AHHHHHHHHH! You guys took them away so early. I kinda thought before 2 would be okay. My DD is 20 months and loves her dumdum.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 15 months and still has his. I won't ever take it away completely. We limit it to bedtime/naps, in the car, and if he's sick or tired right now. Eventually it'll be only for bedtime/naps.

I had my pacifier until I was 4 (just at night). My teeth are fine, etc. So I'm not worried about anything like that.

I just would never take away something my son uses to comfort himself. Just like I'd never want someone to take MY comfort items away, kwim? He is far more attached to a certain blanket, so the bink might be easy to keep in the crib only, or get rid of all together, but as long as he wants it, I'll let him have it.

Now, personally, I cannot stand to see a child over 2 walking around with them at stores and talking around them. Drives me nuts. And I won't let my son do it, but he doesn't need to. Some children might. But a 5 year old NEEDING one... *shrug* But I guess if it was his bedtime or something, who knows.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 2 1/2 and still has one for bedtime and naptime. It has to stay in her room though now. Around 18 mo we took it away from her while she was awake. We're expecting a new baby soon so probably around age 3 we'll start talking about no more night night binky. It wouldn't be fair to take it away now.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote