Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When does the pacifier get taken away?

When dd turned 1 it started staying the crib and the only time she gets it is nap and bedtime. That is what I did with oldest dd also. At two we had a little ceremony and she threw it away and then got a big girl gift. I honestly don't remember what we gave her but it was just a little something that she really liked.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
Momx3MD
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids decide when to get rid of the pacifier..none of them had speech or teeth delvopement issues ..so i left it up to them..mostly when older they used it to go to sleep or when sick
Momx3MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post

I just would never take away something my son uses to comfort himself. Just like I'd never want someone to take MY comfort items away, kwim?

Now, personally, I cannot stand to see a child over 2 walking around with them at stores and talking around them. Drives me nuts. .
yup, I totally agree! bedtime only until they're done with it
worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaliberal View Post
After our 4th of July outing to fireworks and seeing a 5+ year old with a pacifier.. it got me thinking about when other parents discontinue pacifier use. I am kind of glad my youngest two don't take pacifiers because I don't have to deal with the taking away.. Just curious, not judging anyone for their "paci usage". lol
Kid #4, and none of them ever started on pacifiers. I use other calming techniques on them which seem to work with the personality of my kids. They just don't seem to need them for some reason.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS1, I took it away during the day at 18 months, then completely got rid of it for naps and nights at 2.

DS2, I've just started putting it away in the mornings and he only gets it for naps and nights, he's almost 16 months.

Both my kids have been paci addicts.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

DD#1 gave up hers on her own accord by like 4 or 5 months old. I don't plan on giving DD#2 a binky unless there's just no way around it.

That said DD#1 did have her bottle until 2 weeks before she turned two. The only reason she had it that long was because between 10 months and 2 years she had A LOT of changes made in her life. It was her comfort item when it wasn't needed for nutrition anymore. Once we were settled after our last big move (from Nevada to Texas) it was taken away. Now she's a blankee baby.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #17
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds is 26m and still has his, mainly for nap/bed and long car trips...and we will NOT take it away yet, but he will NOT have it at 5+
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Mom2Gray
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds only gets his in bed and in the car, and it's been like that since he was about 4 months old. He can kind of take it or leave it in the car, but NEEDS it to sleep, which I'm okay with. I don't mind him using it for sleep til he's 2 or so...it just drives me crazy when kids who can speak in sentences are trying to talk around a paci. I'm glad he's never seemed to want it out of bed.
Mom2Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #19
meco
Registered Users

I feel like it is similar to child led nursing. A lot of time kids nurse that long. I feel like it is ok to have a need for comfort sucking at that age. If you were nursing, they would have that need met. Kids give it up when they are ready. All kids have different preferences and needs for a pacifier, and they will all give it up when ready.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

2 1/2 and we still have ours. Once our potty learning is completely settled we'll probably try to pull it. She's only allowed her "bucky" if she's in her bed though so we do limit it quite severely.