Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #21
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: When does the pacifier get taken away?

Ayden was just over 2. I was 20 weeks pregnant and we were gearing up for the big ultrasound to find out the sex and so all week I talked with Ayden about the baby. He was involved right from teh get go, he went to all the appointments and ultrasounds and all of that even at his young age. So he was really excited that we were going to find out a boy or girl. Then we talked about how he was going to be a BIG brother. I empathised the BIG part, and we talked about what that meant. I also talked to him about his paci...it was not his only comfort item, he had one other and we really pushed his baby bear(his bear that I bought him to get him ready for the babe) and he became attatched to that. So we talked about what we were going to do with his paci's....and I told him that we were going to bag up his paci's and we were going to bring them to the hospital where all the babies were, and that we were going to give the pacifers to the new babies. He was SOOOO excited about it. So the day before we went ahead and bagged up all of his paci's except the one that he was going to have one last time, and in the morning he shoved that one in the bag. We went found out we were having a boy, and went to the hospital. I left him and DH at the elevators so I could talk to the nurses. They were super excited about it and totally understood. So I had Ayden do it all. He went and told the ladies what he was going to do. ANd I had HIM hand them over and they gave him a treat and a sticker. It just so happened that there was a brand spanking new one in the nursery with the shades open that was screaming and Ayden was super excited that he got to bring the paci's to help out the sad babe. The nurses then after we left threw them away, but he still remembers doing this and is so proud of himself. He always says remember when I helped the sad baby momma...I was such a big boy.

I think that rather than taking it away, make your decision theirs..if that makes any sense. Sure it was my idea to get him off of the paci, but he is so strong willed that the few other times I tried the whole taking it away thing, it was horrible for us all. But when I made it "his" decision, and he was the one handing it over, he thought it was all his idea and we have never had a problem with it since.

Advertisement

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #22
jillovern
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When dd was 18 months I managed to get it limited to strictly naptime and bedtime. It wasn't allowed to leave her bed - if she wanted to come out of her room she had to put it under her pillow. We had that routine for 6 months and then MIL came to visit. Apparently she (MIL) was hiding one on dd's behalf and giving it to her every chance she could. I found out eventually, but by then the addiction was full blown and I didn't convince her to give it up until her 3rd bithday

Needless to say, MIL and I don't get along very well when it comes to parenting decisions. She does the same with candy now too, and I can't leave her alone with my kids!!

Pleased to own Peas and Thank You's. Visit me at www.peasandthankyous.etsy.com for unique handmade stationery!
jillovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #23
Nique
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins are 16 months. Somewhere between about 8 and 9 months old, E just stopped taking one. I realized one day that for a WHILE, I had not noticed one in her mouth during the day, and she would push them away at naps and bedtime. So one day I just stopped offering them to her. She's been fine. She'll steal one occasionally and chew on the outer edges, maybe even stick it in her mouth, but she has it in there like a cigarette almost, and she WANTS me to take it from her, she'll pretend to run away, but when I do get it she gets a big grin and giggle, so I know it's just a game to her.

Now, S on the other hand is a paci addict! LOL. I've already started a SLOW weaning from it. When she gets up in the morning she has to be a big girl and go without it until naptime. On the 1st I'm going to start having her be a big girl between her 2 naps too (or until her nap if she drops to 1 nap). And on Sept. 1st, they'll be 18 months exactly, she's going to have to be a big girl except in her bed. And I'm hoping that by 2 years old she'll voluntarialy give them up all together. She doesn't sleep with it in her mouth, that's the funniest part. She spits it out and actuallly falls asleep without it. So I don't think she needs it. But she doesn't do well with sudden changes, and it's her only comfort item. I keep trying to get her to attach to something else, but no luck... *sigh*
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #24
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We took Andy's away right around 3 months - when he could effectively stick his thumb in his mouth all the pacifiers went bye bye! He complained a bit for the first nap, but, after that, it was never an issue again.

Now, we don't have a thumb sucker except when he has his blanket. So, the blanket is "restricted" to his bedroom and during the day (except for a nap) he is "thumb-free"!

We were very fortunate to have such an easy time with the pacifier though.
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #25
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco View Post
I feel like it is similar to child led nursing. A lot of time kids nurse that long. I feel like it is ok to have a need for comfort sucking at that age. If you were nursing, they would have that need met. Kids give it up when they are ready. All kids have different preferences and needs for a pacifier, and they will all give it up when ready.

Paci and thumb sucking is a form of external comforting. So maybe a more appropriate question is when do you think your child should no longer need help comforting themselves and are you willing to use CIO??

My kids all only suck/ed their paci or thumbs at bed times, when they’re tired or sick and when they are scared. They all speak at a level fare above their age and their dental issues are genetic (GM has same bite and only ever BF).

My older 2 gave up their pacis at 4yo. We tried at several times threw out Alex’s life but after one session of it I refuse to use CIO. I reasoned with my kids. I told Alex that when she was done to let me know. I’d pay her a quarter everyday she didn’t use it. About a week later she asked for a quarter!
Ender wasn’t having any of that. We did what our Pediatric Dentist said to do and the month before DS 4th Birthday we started telling him the night before it he was going to gather up and leave his pacis for the Paci Fairy to take to new babies that needed them. She’d leave him a big boy gift. It worked but I wish we’d of let him decide when.

My twins are almost 3yo and are thumb suckers. They’ll decide when they stop and I’ll rip the head off anyone who pulls their thumbs out or gives them a hard time!!

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #26
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this is extreme but one of my best friends had hers until she was nine! She tried to force her baby to take a paci because she thought it was so cute...lol...
I guess she wanted her baby to be like her. All her daughter wanted was the boob though!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #27
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD doesnt take a pacifier (never has). But honestly? I wouldn't let it go on past the 1st birthday. It impedes speech development and the proper positioning of new teeth. But thats just my two cents. Its easy for me to say....because I dont deal with it
Old 07-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

My middle one had hers until she was just about 2. We finally decided to take them from her only for us to take one, toss it and she'd just give us this shrug of her shoulders. We'd think "hey, that was easy." but she'd then walk upstairs and come back down with another one! It took us two days to find her "hidden stash!" She had a stash of them!!!! But once that last one was gone, she had two kinda hard nights but she got over it relatively quick.

There was a neighbor girl that had a paci until she was 7. She hid it in her backpack that she carried with her all the time and she was super embarrassed when one of the little boys took the bag from her and dumped the contents. I felt bad for her because no kid should snatch a girls' purse and dump the contents, but at the same time, I was kinda shocked to see a paci. And trust me, it was NOT for any babydoll.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #29
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
My DD doesnt take a pacifier (never has). But honestly? I wouldn't let it go on past the 1st birthday. It impedes speech development and the proper positioning of new teeth. But thats just my two cents. Its easy for me to say....because I dont deal with it
That's not correct. Even dentists say that before 3 year old it's fine. The thumb does a lot of damage to the teeth though. I had my pacifier until I was 4 year old and I'm the only person in my entire extended family that didn't need braces! lol.

Speech development depends on how much you let your kid have it. With the 2 year old I watch, his mom let him have it 24 hours a day, still does. He doesn't ever get it at my house though because he honestly doesn't need it. He likes it, but it was hurting his speech, so I said no more as long as he was okay with it, he was, and his speech has vastly improved (he gots tubes so he's not hearing properly as well, that was a big issue). He would hold his tongue like his pacifier was in, even when it wasn't, and tlak that way. THAT was a problem. Most kids don't do that though, and as long as they aren't allowed to talk with it in their mouth, then it's not a issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #30
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 3 and only uses his at night, though he throws it on the floor before he falls asleep so he pretty doesnt use it anymore. DD I never gave her one because I dont like them, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
Thats not true actually. It all depends on how often they use it. My sons dentist had no idea he used a binky, he said Kolin has the best teeth for a 3year old he has ever seen and people often think he is older because he talks so well