Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #51
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
My Mood:
Re: When does the pacifier get taken away?

I took my X's Nuk away when he was 8 mos old and never looked back. It was incredibly easy, like he never even noticed it was gone, and before that he seemed so dependent on it! Then, with R, I planned on taking hers away at the same time, but she was such a good sleeper (always fell asleep on her own and slept through the night and took nice long naps every day) and I didn't want to ruin that, so I let her keep hers and thought I would take it away after she turned 1, but I was pregnant at the time and knew that if I took hers away right before the baby was born that she would be wanting to steal the one from the baby all the time. So, long story short, she was just over 3 when she gave hers up. We made a deal with her that if she went for a whole week without it we would have a "No more Nuker" party. The party was such a hit that we're planning on doing the same thing with E. He will be 3 in August and we talk about it and ask him if he's ready to have a "No more Nuker" party yet, but he's not quite ready yet. I don't really care about things like Nuks anymore. I used to with X, but now 5 yrs later, I'm more of a go-with-the-flow laid back kind of mama and I think of their Nuks as comfort objects just like their blankies are. I would never take their blankies away from them, so I won't take their Nuks away from them for the same reason. My dentist and doctor both told me that the magical age is 4. As long as they get rid of it before the age of 4 their teeth will correct themselves if there is a problem. I've noticed that R's teeth are getting lined up better now that she hasn't had it for almost a year, so the dentist and doctor must have been right!

Proud Mama to 4 boys and 2 girls!
STORE CLOSING SALE! 10% off all in stock knits!
Squeezy Baby Knits.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote