Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
PeanutButter'sMommy
T the Terrible Two
seller

Any Dipe Changing Tricks for Squirmy Toddler?

This is my first time posting anywhere outside of Diaper Chatter lol.

I have a 17 almost 18 mo DS who TOTALLY HATES having his diaper changed. This has been going on for a few months now. And I have all these awesome and fuzzy fluffy snuggly diapers for him; I wish he would enjoy having them put on and taken off! LOL.

I have tried turning on the TV (which only works sometimes), giving him the phone/remote/cell phone to play with (again, not failsafe by any means), singing, joking, making funny faces, begging, pleading, ha. I don't know what else to try. It's such a bummer; I hate changing time now. He is a funny and very social little man, but for some reason he just melts down when you change him. And I think it's mostly only when I change him. I am thinking he is much better for other people.

Ideas???

Advertisement

Robyn, Mommy to T , wife to Shawn TTC #2!!!
PeanutButter'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any Dipe Changing Tricks for Squirmy Toddler?

Well I'm sure I'll get flamed but train him to not squirm. We did that when our son was 3 months old. It worked wonders and we still don't have to worry about him squirming. He's not 16 months and just sits there and spreads his legs to help assist us in the diaper changing
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Distraction doesn't work for us usually. For the most part I just have to pin his legs down and get it over quick. Let me tell ya I can slap a PF on pdq now!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
singbanshee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I swear I'm going to invent the diaper that has tabs on the back because that's the end I see the most with my son and his squiggling. LOL

What works for me is to have a "special" toy that only comes out when I change the dipe that he adores. Course you 'll have to find out what it is for your son...mine loves cars so it's matchbox car. This works most of the time. I also do the thing where you blow on their skin and make the um...how to say this nicely...the farting sound?, and he laughs ...otherwise I'm the fastest changer in the west....

We Carry Eco Friendly Disposables and.. Check out the rockin selection of covers and cloth diapers!
singbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I either give her a toy, or pin her down. I don't mess around when there's poo everywhere, LOL.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
bluebonnet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stickers sometimes work for us. Diaper changes (non-poopy) can sometimes be done standing if I have my fitted all buttoned up already.

My dd is also the same age and I'm trying to get her to "help" me by lifting her bum up. I say, "bum up" and then I lift it. Sometimes she'll starting saying, "up up". My hope is that she'll eventually have a role to play in the diaper changing situation and will think of it as less of an interference in her daily life....

I'm always on the lookout for things to make diaper changes easier....
Old 07-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Well when I worked in a toddler room at a daycare I had squirmy worms in there , I ended up making a very big and elaborate mobile and hung it over the changing table , then when I would lay them down to change them I would give it a tap and they would watch it , it had so many lil animals and people ect ( probably more than 20 lil cloth stuffed things ) on it that they had allot to look at plus with it being right above them they couldn't see it as well if they moved too much . Now I know it worked then but I can see how it wouldn't for all kids .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
Well I'm sure I'll get flamed but train him to not squirm. We did that when our son was 3 months old. It worked wonders and we still don't have to worry about him squirming. He's not 16 months and just sits there and spreads his legs to help assist us in the diaper changing

Can you explain what you mean TRAIN him not to squirm? Especially at 3 mths old...my son was fine till he started getting mobile...He's 15 mths now and it's like a wrestling match but again was not like that in the beginning so what would you do differently as an infant who isn't doing anything to struggle to keep them from getting that way?

thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do a light swat on the leg and say "no" at the same time. This get's them to realize that when we say no, they need to stop. Sometimes it takes longer than others but it does work. Then there is no need for discipling later on. Just the word "no" is all you need. He's now 16 months and responds well to the word no. If he's by the stove we say "No Jon". And he walks away. No fighting with him, or whatever else may happen.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandikaake View Post
We do a light swat on the leg and say "no" at the same time. This get's them to realize that when we say no, they need to stop. Sometimes it takes longer than others but it does work. Then there is no need for discipling later on. Just the word "no" is all you need. He's now 16 months and responds well to the word no. If he's by the stove we say "No Jon". And he walks away. No fighting with him, or whatever else may happen.

I see...yeah that just doesn't work for ds...I tried that and it only made things worse I have tried some other techniques and he's getting better so something is working, I just have to keep doing it. But thanks for the info.