Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
mama2six
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2five

My Mood:
Re: S/O of when to take paci away.....

Thanks for all the replies!! Everyone of them makes perfect sense.

And like i said, nothing against paci's at all. Had any of my children had the need for it, as all the previous posters, I would have had no problem giving one to him/her.

I guess one of the reasons i asked is because of my niece....my sister had a couple paci's, my niece didn't like them, so she put them away. Well when my niece was about 5 months old my brother in law gave her one just cuz he thought it would be cute.......he kept encouraging her to take it, well now at 15 months you never ever see this little girl without it in her mouth which to me is silly seeing as she never showed a need for it before but hey, to each their own i guess lol.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

I read while I was pg that paci are better than thumbs. There was a ton of info out slamming thumb sucking and raising up the paci. So when my 1st and then 2nd started sucking their thumbs I battled with them to take the paci instead. I think my mom actually took pics and video once! Thumb went in I pulled it out and stuck in the paci paci went flying and I either caught it or had several more ready. This would go on for a good 5-10mn before they’d give up and use the paci after a couple weeks all the wanted was the paci. Oh yeah and this all happened around 1 week old!

When the twins started also sucking their thumbs I tried to do this with them but they hated the paci and I just didn’t have it in me to fight 2 at once!! So they became thumb suckers. Which I am now not only ok with but fare prefer! LOL

Asterix sucked his thumb maybe 4 times and was never interested in paci. So I had 2 paci users, 2 thumb suckers and one that does neither.

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only use ours at naptime and bedtime, and even then, not all the time. I really don't see much harm in that. I think if they're using it all the time, it could interfere with language development, and that isn't good, but sleeping is fine, IMO.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave one because I read an article that said that using paci's decreased the risk of SIDS. Believe me though there are many a night when I get up over and over again to put the paci back in his mouth that I wish I hadn't.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My lil boy had some but didn't really ever use them , which I was fine with , for our next baby coming up I will probably have one on hand ( usually get a fee on at the hospital anyway ) but I will not push it at all , it would be so nice if I had a no paci baby this time too .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #16
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS used one once he could keep it in his mouth. He was very colicky and sometimes the only way to calm him was to put my pinky in his mouth. however, my hand would get cramped after being stuck in that position for awhile. He wouldn't have anything to do with his fingers/thumb. I didn't love the paci because we'd have to place 2 or 3 around his crib so if he knocked it out of his mouth he could find another one (but we usually had to get up and find it for him anyways), but it made him happy for sleeping only.

DDs are both thumb suckers and I love that they always know where to find them
I know it might be harder to get them to stop when the time comes, but for now I'm ok with it.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #17
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2five View Post
Thanks for all the replies!! Everyone of them makes perfect sense.

And like i said, nothing against paci's at all. Had any of my children had the need for it, as all the previous posters, I would have had no problem giving one to him/her.

I guess one of the reasons i asked is because of my niece....my sister had a couple paci's, my niece didn't like them, so she put them away. Well when my niece was about 5 months old my brother in law gave her one just cuz he thought it would be cute.......he kept encouraging her to take it, well now at 15 months you never ever see this little girl without it in her mouth which to me is silly seeing as she never showed a need for it before but hey, to each their own i guess lol.
yeah I think that was totally silly of your bil to just force it because it was "cute". I agree it is Cute to me with my DS because he likes to take it out and try and put it in my mouth and it's just funny but I would NEVER do it just to be "cute". If my kid didn't take it then I wouldn't bother with it....to be completely honest, I just don't remember the exact reason we gave it to ds...it's not that I didn't have a good reason, it's just that I can't remember things like that, I have a terrible memory. Anyway, I think it was basically because when he would nurse he would want to keep sucking...this is a kid that took 45 minutes just to eat and then I would take him off and he still needed that sucking for comfort. I think like a PP said, it's also just part of who they are...I was sucking my thumb in my mom's belly (she saw it on the ultrasound) and my sister was a hardcore thumbsucker too. We both had TERRIBLE teeth. My bro didn't at all. so I decided to try and impede the thumb sucking process. DS is already doing fine without it during most of the day at 15 mths. I am slowly working on weaning him off, but I am sure night time will be the hardest, he STILL needs it for sleeping.

However all that being said, I am going to try and not use a paci with the next child if at all possible...but if she/he were to start sucking their thumbs I would most definitely use a binky in place of their thumb.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Both my DDs were constant suckers... DD #2 had severe reflux and it seemed to keep her a bit calmer.
DD #1 was broke by her second birthday, I just cut the nipple off and she carried it around for about 2 or 3 days in then threw it away!! DD #2 only has hers at bed/nap time.
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #19
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

my first never took one because an NFP doc walked in my recovery room and plunked it out of her mouth before starting his exam on her and it just never went back in (this was before I knew that most people that use NFP also practice ecological breastfeeding, kwim?)

my second... after six weeks of listening to colic screeching, I finally broke down and bought a paci. I was thinking it would ruin my milk supply, she'd stop nursing, whatever... well, she not only took it but she has been my longest nurser (up until she was about 22 months). She was still colicky until she was 6 months... but that paci sure helped.

my third... is a thumb sucker and while at first I thought it was stinkin adorable, I hate it now. She had crooked teeth (all of them do but hers is THE WORST) and how the hell do you break that habit when the dang habit is a part of their body????

I'm praying this fourth doesn't want anything, like my first.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #20
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pacifiers are not given to us at all in the hospital. I am a nurse, not in labour and delivery, and in order to get a pacifier at the hospital my co-worker/friend told me that I would basically have to cry! Only the moms that broke down and were at their wit's end were reluctantly given one! Seeing as though my nurse in the hospital was a friend I was able to get one (I wanted a Soothie brand one and we can't buy them here!)...but, when she went to the LOCKED cupboard to get one the senior nurses were like "What are you doing?" and "Who is that for?" basically giving her the third degree. All and all, DS loves his paci. He uses it only for naptime and bedtime, but if he sees one on the floor or something he wants one. I will take it away when he is more able to understand.