Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #21
suebe333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O of when to take paci away.....

Hi, My first 2 kiddos did not take to paci's at all but my littlest ds can't live without it I tell you what happened here, the minute I heard that they had proven that a paci at night greatly reduced the occurance of SIDS I bought a boatload of 'em. Being an older mother supposedly raises the risks and anyway that sids scares the Heck out of me ,sooooooo .... then when he started going for the thumb we would sub. the paci also ......hth

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #22
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:

A recent Medical Journal Watch Update shared longitudinal/cross-cultural research revealing that the use of a pacifyer (or breastfeeding) to put baby to sleep reduces the risk of SIDS: theoretical reason being that it helps regulate a healthy breathing pattern. This also reinforces other longitudinal/cross-cultural research showing that kids do not need to learn to self soothe until 3 years of age (CIO being correlated with sleeping + anxiety disorders later in life)
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never gave any of them a pacifier, and none of them sucked thumbs either.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
jennyb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with our first, i was anti-paci until ds started wanting to suck during church & the finger wouldn;t cut it LOL ... i figured a paci for one hour a week was not going to hurt anything ... and then when he started teething at 4 months, that paci was the only thing that really soothed him, despite the fact that he was an around the clock every 2 hour nurser for a very long time! we got lucky, though, his paci got lost at 10 months & he never asked for it again. about 2 weeks later i came upon the paci in the bottom of a toy basker & promptly through it away

my dh was a thumb sucker (until age 5) & ended up with terrible teeth so he has always been anti-thumb, pro-paci if a lo has a constant need to suck...

Get Cash Back from all your fave stores-Click here to join Mr. Rebates!
jennyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #25
mama2six
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2five

My Mood:

I have heard of a paci reducing the risk of SIDS as well. I learned of this I think during my pregnancy with my youngest dd. I think it's great that they're finding more and more ways to prevent it. It didn't make me go out and grab one though. (again not that anyone is wrong for doing so, ugh I hate that with all the other drama on the board i have to over emphasize what i mean lol).
Old 07-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah Gracie would not (and I mean WOULD NOT) sleep unless she had somthing in her mouth whether it ws me or a sucky she had to have somthing. I also wanted to use a pacifyer because I was (and still am) terrifyed about thumb sucking. my cousin (my dad's sister's son) who we are all a really close knit family is 20.... yes you heard me right he's 20 and still sucks his thumb. I would much rather have a 5 year old with a pacifyer than a 20 year old thumb sucker
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #27
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

My son got one in the hospital because he was very jaundiced and they barely wanted me to take him out of the lights to feed him. The nurses felt so badly for him they gave him one to comfort him.

My girls got then in the NICU. It's helpful for preemies to suck. It builds muscles and can help them regulate themselves. Their doctors begged me when they were 5 months old to let them keep them since it was helpful with SIDS. I didn't plan on taking them away but it was kind of cute. They are 23 months and have it for night time only.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #28
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My baby would only bite on the paci. She would suckbitebitebitespit.

I gave up trying to give one to her.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #29
BabyNick#2
Registered Users
seller

I find it funny that some people think that we all have a choice between pacifier and thumb My ds #1 had no interest in sucking on anything unless he was feeding, so no problem.
Ds #2 needed something almost constantly. I tried letting him use a pacifier, and sometimes it went ok, but most of the time he would spit it out. Once he got old enough-3 months, he would spit it out and stick his thumb/finger/fingers in. Putting him to bed at night, he didnt seem to need anything to get himself to sleep, but when I would go in and check, his thumb would be in his mouth or very close and you could tell he had sucked it.
So, I dont see how some people could think that just cause you give a pacifier to them, means they will be ok with it.
Only my opinion and experience here, not that it means a thing.
BabyNick#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #30
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We probably COULD have done a pacifier with DD....but we just didn't. She was an extremely colicy/high needs baby. She did nothing but cry for the first 4 months of her life. But somehow, we just got through it.
For me, I held off initially because I didn't want to risk nipple confusion. And then I worried about her getting addicted to it.

By the time we actually offered one to her (she was 5 months) she spit it out and looked at me like, "ma! What the heck was that!???"