Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
preparedforsurvival
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Huge bill coming soon

we had to take our savings and go to a used car lot and get a "new" car and now we are having to scrimp and save for the almost 800 payment we have to make for the plates and registration.

Any tips of frugal meals that use a crockp. I am usually really good about coming up with frugal means, I even have a blog about frugal stuff, but with our stove going out and not having anything BUT a crockpot to cook with, I am running out of ideas.

This has been a bad month. Anything stupid that can happen has!!!

Advertisement

preparedforsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If it's only temporary, beans of all kinds. Pinto beans are a favorite here so we have them with rice, cornbread, and tortillas--three different meals, not all together. Black beans in tortillas, served with avocado, cheese, tomatoes, plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) or any combination of those toppings. Mixed bean soup (I buy the premixed bag but you could different bags and mix them yourself) with bread or biscuits.

Use leftover beans as another meal addition such as add to eggs for breakfast, add to tortillas and cheese for quesadillas at lunch, or mix with leftover mac n cheese to stretch both. But I don't know how you'd cook the eggs or mac so maybe those aren't viable ideas.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
kelly-renee
Registered Users

Re: Huge bill coming soon

you can actually cook a lot of things in the crock pot that you might not think of, they just take longer. I've cooked risotto in one and it turned out well, add the onions, rice, water and beef or chicken broth, turn on high and it'll be ready in 2-3 hours. I bet spaghetti would cook similarly, also oatmeal, maybe an omelette in the crock pot, beef stew, vegetable stew, some people can make bread, but i've never tried that. If you can find one at a thrift store a hotpot, or just a plug in burner could save you a lot of money while waiting to be able to afford a stove, same thing in terms of a toaster oven. (i cooked for several weeks with just those three things and while not ideal got me through).
kelly-renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can make so much in the crock pot.

Are there any other tools at your disposal. Grilled cheese with an iron comes to mind.

Can you build an outdoor fire?
Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tacos: If you make shredded meat (chicken, beef roast, pork roast) in the crockpot, you can add canned/drained black beans at the end to warm them (or nuke them if you have a functional microwave), and all of the rest of the taco fixings come from not-the-stove.

Pea soup. Ham chunks, dried peas that you've soaked/rinsed/repeated several hours, salt, pepper, onions, bay leaf. Cook for ~24 hours on high to really break down the peas into mush; less if you like your peas to retain structure.

Do you have two crockpots, or just one? You can do potatoes in a crock pot (or microwave if you have one), and roast in a second crock pot.

I've heard of crock pot bread, but I've never tried it.

Does searching for "crock pot meals" get you anything that looks good for your situation? https://www.pinterest.com/peayfamily...oven-required/
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Tacos: If you make shredded meat (chicken, beef roast, pork roast) in the crockpot, you can add canned/drained black beans at the end to warm them (or nuke them if you have a functional microwave), and all of the rest of the taco fixings come from not-the-stove.

Pea soup. Ham chunks, dried peas that you've soaked/rinsed/repeated several hours, salt, pepper, onions, bay leaf. Cook for ~24 hours on high to really break down the peas into mush; less if you like your peas to retain structure.

Do you have two crockpots, or just one? You can do potatoes in a crock pot (or microwave if you have one), and roast in a second crock pot.

I've heard of crock pot bread, but I've never tried it.

Does searching for "crock pot meals" get you anything that looks good for your situation? https://www.pinterest.com/peayfamily...oven-required/
Good point on having two crockpots. You could really do so much with two.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some sites even have two meals cooking at once in a single crockpot which saves energy. For instance, Main-Cut up Chicken plus a smaller shallower oven proof dish within with beans, potatoes, rice, veggies, etc., or small beef roast with small chicken may fit into one of the larger crockpots. Although, the flavors may blend or the recipes sought may be of the same theme, if you don't mind, for instance, "Rosemary Roast and Rosemary Chicken."

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 01-24-2017 at 02:05 PM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedTheJourney View Post
Some sites even have two meals cooking at once in a single crockpot which saves energy. For instance, Main-Cut up Chicken plus a smaller shallower oven proof dish within with beans, potatoes, rice, veggies, etc., or small beef roast with small chicken may fit into one of the larger crockpots. Although, the flavors may blend or the recipes sought may be of the same theme, if you don't mind, for instance, "Rosemary Roast and Rosemary Chicken."
I need a visual. That sounds like a great idea. I've modified the crock pot for smaller recipes but never did different type items that didn't get mixed together.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

So here's a commercial version, with a split liner: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301178293809731871/ . And here's one with oven bags: http://www.clairekcreations.com/2010...beef-creation/

But you can do the same thing with your own containers inside the crock, I think is what SharedTheJourney means. But I couldn't find any pictures, must be missing the correct search terms.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #10
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

Several options available. 1. two same ingredient recipes that roast (not much liquid involved), ie. roast cut up chicken with sprinkled rosemary and same for small beef roast. You can do this using no divider or you can divide the two by using aluminum molded if you are dividing straight down the middle. You can also use a specially made slow cooker oven proof plastic bag or a smaller ceramic dish or container that is oven proof. You would need to put this in first, say for the larger amount. Then, add the cut up pieces to fit on other side.
2. Stores do sell slow cooker dividers if you want to go that route.
3. Stores sell a crockpot themed of three smaller pots in one. They are smaller in size yet larger that the potpourri types. There are also some stores that have slow cooker double dip type of divided crockpots for dips, etc.
4. You can find bakeware that has a low to med depth and that fits into your crockpot, ie. oval crockpot, oval bakeware. You can find these for things like creme brulee, tarts, quiche, etc. I check local thrift stores too for these. These are the white French type of bakeware with low sides, that is popular in specialty shops. Make your recipe with liquids on bottom of crockpot. Then, place the drier type of recipe (pasta, rice, vegetables, etc., into the bake ware and place on top, cover with the crockpot cover.
The options I gave are because slow cookers can save if you plan for more than one meal out of the cooking session, if all ingredients are thawed out, and if you time precisely. If you need 4 hours exact. Given this, research comparisons to oven time and wattage. Stretcher.com has some wattage use and comparisons (how slow cookers use energy vs. how ovens use energy and the costs involved) that you might find interesting. Best.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote