Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #111
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

^^ What do you do with the cream cheese? I'd like to omit it if I can. I am dairy allergic and fake cream cheese is pricey.

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #112
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
^^ What do you do with the cream cheese? I'd like to omit it if I can. I am dairy allergic and fake cream cheese is pricey.
woops! you add it in when you add the cheese on top (i did it about 5-10 mins before everything was sposed to be done).

you CAN omit it..it does help to make it creamy but i'm sure it's good without it too.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #113
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mexican Lasagna--or as 4.5 yo DS calls it, "Taco Cake"
Its a bit over $5 if you buy the corn tortillas and taco seasoning, but if you can make them, its under $5...I get the tortillas on WIC here and make my own taco seasoning...recipe for it is my next post
1-16 oz. package small yellow corn tortillas, usually 24 to a pack-$1.25
2 lbs ground turkey-$2.20
2 packets taco seasoning$1
1 jar salsa-$1.25 I use mild, but you can use spicier if you want. You can also use canned diced tomatoes & green chiles for a lower price.
1 lb. shredded cheddar or mexican cheese-$1.29
1 can refried beans-$.59
I'm thinking black beans would be good in this too, but DH and DS wont' touch them so I haven't got to try them Lettuce & sour cream to garnish if desired...its good without them & I'm not including them in the price.

Cook ground turkey/ground beef with taco seasoning as directed. Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, slice tortillas in half and line bottom of pan with tortillas--I put 3 halves on each long side with the straight edges against the side of the pan, two halves on each short side, and line up 4 halves across the center. Spread some of the refried beans across the tortillas, then layer ground turkey/beef, a few spoonfuls of salsa, and a thin layer of cheese. Repeat layers with tortillas, beans, meat, salsa, cheese, tortillas, and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa if desired.

Last edited by smashncakes; 09-09-2010 at 12:36 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #114
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Taco Seasoning

1 TBSP chili powder--if you don't like taco seasoning really spicy, start with 2 tsps and add more to taste
1 tsp each salt & pepper
1/4 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder (or dried minced onion/onion flakes), red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like spicy), and oregano...you can also add 1/4 tsp cumin *I don't use cumin but its great if you like spicy stuff*

Add seasoning with 1 cup water to 1 lb cooked ground turkey, ground beef, chicken...really whatever you like with taco seasoning. Simmer down to consistency you like, I usually do about 15 minutes.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #115
smashncakes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom2x View Post
Oh I forgot about a really fun recipe my mom used to do with me when I was little. You need english muffins, spaghetti/pizza/marinara sauce, cheese (mozzerella or cheddar work best) and toppings of choice.

You half the muffins spread a bit of sauce and sprinkle cheese and/or topping-
kids can help with this its fun for them to make their own
you can throw these in the toaster oven until the edges brown and the cheese melts. Easy and fun and definitely cheap
This is really good with bagels too You can get a big bag of mini-bagels at Aldis for less than $2 and it makes a LOT of these.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #116
mama0609
Banned
seller

Grilled Cheese Pizzas sandwiches
( I make these in the toaster oven and microwave, you could use the stove if you wanted )
bread (wheat is heartier but I made them with white) ($1.00 for one loaf)
Pizza Sauce ($1.00/jar from WM, a jar lasts us FOREVER)
Sliced Cheese (I dunno how much this is anymore, we get WIC LOL)

Toast the bread (over toast it a bit as the sauce softens it)
Spread as much sauce on each slice as you'd like
Add 1-2 slices of cheese to your personal tastes
Place the slices side by side and micro for 15 seconds, then put the plain side on top of the cheese side and turn it over, micro on medium power for 15 seconds, cool and slice

You can probably add 'toppings' but I haven't tried it... You can make A LOT of these with a cheapy loaf of bread. Serve along side fresh veggies like carrots.

Sliced Bread Pizza (alternare of above)
light toast bread slices, top with sauce, cheese and toppings, toast until melted and bubbly.
This comes out cheaper than dioing it on english muffins and if you get WIC you can make it for pennies.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #117
Ang711
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if this idea has been posted.

We make crust-less quiches often. They freeze easy, and are pretty cheap. Crack eggs in a bowl. I usually do 6 eggs to fill 2 mini muffin tins (makes 12 quiches). Whisk eggs, I usually add a splash of milk and salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into VERY WELL greased/sprayed muffin tin. Then you can add whatever you want! I usually do salsa and cheese, you can also add sausage (i brown sausage before adding). Cook at 350, until done. I usually set timer for about 8-10min for the mini ones. Just pop them out of the tin when they are done. I serve with fruit or toast/biscuits.
Angela wife to Josiah, SAHM to Eli (10/07) who self weaned at 19.5 months, CJ (08/09) born at home in water, and self weaned at 25.5 months, & Reese my 42wk home water birth baby 02.15.12. Our kids are intact & extended rear faced.
Ang711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #118
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to copy Fatz Baja Chicken today. It was under $5 with our grocery prices.

1/2 pd chicken breast (.85)
1 jar of raju garlic alfredo (.99 - if you just have plain, add some garlic powder)
1 red bell pepper (I get these at the farmers market and freeze them for winter - .50)
1 onion (.50)
1 can of corn (they don't use corn, we like corn, .39)
2/3 pd of rice (.50 - they use noodles, we were in a rice mood)
chili powder
they also use mushrooms but I'm out.
add in a bag of frozen peas as a side and you are right at $5.

They puree their bell pepper, I left mine chunky. If you want to get fancy, add diced tomatoes or tomato paste. The chili powder is to taste. I would have put a little tabasco in it too but we were out. It was pretty close and def not $11.99 plus tax and tip!
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #119
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Pizza sauce:

1 can tomato paste (usually around $0.35)

Put the tomato paste in a bowl, add some water, some oil (I use EVOO), and whatever seasonings you like (I use whatever I have on hand.....parsley, oregano, garlic, onion). If you have some balsamic vinegar lying around throw some of that in too.

It's not an exact recipe, you just keep adding a little bit of the liquids until it's a pizza sauce consistency. I make this every time and it is so yummy and cheap!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #120
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
Mexican Lasagna--or as 4.5 yo DS calls it, "Taco Cake"
Its a bit over $5 if you buy the corn tortillas and taco seasoning, but if you can make them, its under $5...I get the tortillas on WIC here and make my own taco seasoning...recipe for it is my next post
1-16 oz. package small yellow corn tortillas, usually 24 to a pack-$1.25
2 lbs ground turkey-$2.20
2 packets taco seasoning$1
1 jar salsa-$1.25 I use mild, but you can use spicier if you want. You can also use canned diced tomatoes & green chiles for a lower price.
1 lb. shredded cheddar or mexican cheese-$1.29
1 can refried beans-$.59
I'm thinking black beans would be good in this too, but DH and DS wont' touch them so I haven't got to try them Lettuce & sour cream to garnish if desired...its good without them & I'm not including them in the price.

Cook ground turkey/ground beef with taco seasoning as directed. Spray 13x9 pan with nonstick spray, slice tortillas in half and line bottom of pan with tortillas--I put 3 halves on each long side with the straight edges against the side of the pan, two halves on each short side, and line up 4 halves across the center. Spread some of the refried beans across the tortillas, then layer ground turkey/beef, a few spoonfuls of salsa, and a thin layer of cheese. Repeat layers with tortillas, beans, meat, salsa, cheese, tortillas, and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with lettuce, sour cream, and more salsa if desired.
I do something very very similar to this but w/out meat. Makes it even cheaper and we try to have vegetarian dishes atleast half the week, so it's a winner for that. I've never done it with taco seasoning, will try adding that to mine, and for the cheese I use pepperjack and it gives it some kick.