Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #121
jessandkaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

tuna patties

1 can of tuna drained
1 egg
10-15 ish crushed saltines

mix together to form a patty, fry in a little olive oil until browned, flip and fry the other side.

we usually have this with mac n cheese and a veggie for a side. The kids love them.

edited to add I can make about 3 good sized patties from this mix. Dh hates tuna so this is a perfect meal for me and the kids and he has chili or some leftovers from the night before.

Advertisement

Last edited by jessandkaitlin; 10-31-2010 at 05:26 PM.
jessandkaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM   #122
jessandkaitlin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mom calls this mock beef wellington

1 lb ground beef $1.79 on sale
1 tube cresent rolls $1.39 at Aldi
1 can mushrooms 50 cents
1 small diced onion 25 cents?
1 envelope dry onion soup mix 30 cents
(I also add 1/2 a can of corn) 25 cents
1/2 cup or so of shredded cheese (I use whatever we have here and we don't really like cheese so I don't use much.) 50 ish cents

$4.98 on my prices. A bit higher probably elsewhere but still a pretty cheap, tasty, filling dinner.

brown ground beef, saute onions. drain beef and put in a medium bowl. Add in mushrooms, onions and dry soup mix, stir in cheese. place 1/2 tube of crescrent roll dough rolled out (not shaped into crescent rolls) in bottom of an 8X8 pan. Place beef mixture on top. Place other 1/2 of the crescent rolls on top. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Until dough is golden brown.

I made a veggie side and this fed the 4 of us and the neighbor kid (whom had happened to come over to play when we were getting ready to eat and thought it smelled so good and wanted to try it. I can never say no to a hungry kid and wouldn't anyway. But compliments on my cooking get you brownie points and she knows it! LOL) and we had about one serving left over.

Last edited by jessandkaitlin; 10-31-2010 at 05:37 PM.
jessandkaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #123
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatokimmo View Post
I tried to copy Fatz Baja Chicken today. It was under $5 with our grocery prices.

1/2 pd chicken breast (.85)
1 jar of raju garlic alfredo (.99 - if you just have plain, add some garlic powder)
1 red bell pepper (I get these at the farmers market and freeze them for winter - .50)
1 onion (.50)
1 can of corn (they don't use corn, we like corn, .39)
2/3 pd of rice (.50 - they use noodles, we were in a rice mood)
chili powder
they also use mushrooms but I'm out.
add in a bag of frozen peas as a side and you are right at $5.

They puree their bell pepper, I left mine chunky. If you want to get fancy, add diced tomatoes or tomato paste. The chili powder is to taste. I would have put a little tabasco in it too but we were out. It was pretty close and def not $11.99 plus tax and tip!
I've never heard of Fatz Baja Chicken- would you mind telling me how to cook it it sounds super yummy. Is it like a stir fry?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #124
LynnieLee
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of my favorite set-it and forget it cheap-o meals... even better if you have left overs (that extra pot roast is amazing in this!)

Beef & Onion Soup

1 poundish of beef - stew meat, left over roast, left over steaks, ground beef, what ever is handy or on sale!
1 big sweet onion - (I splurge a little here, standard onion will work, but the nice sweet ones really make the dish fantastic.
1-2 cans of mushroom soup
2 cans or box-of-broth (or they DIY kind, I like to save my drippings from roasts/chickens/whatever.. I keep them frozen in cubes to throw into stuff like this)
water
*optional - homemade-style noodles, or the curly egg ones. We have it with and without noodles - depends on if I've made any lately! It's also good on rice, or just by itself!

Lightly brown stew meat (if not already cooked), dump into crock-pot. Chop onion into big chunks (I do 4ths or 8ths wedges, and pull apart the layers, depending on the size of the onion), dump into crock-pot. Add mushroom soup, broth, and a can or two of water (depending on how thick you like it.) Give it a good stir, and hit with some S&P. Let cook on high for 6-8 hours. If adding noodles, cook separately and add when serving, I haven't had much luck throwing them in the pot without them getting squishy... same goes with rice.

Last edited by LynnieLee; 11-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.
LynnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #125
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

King Ranch Chicken

1/2 Bag of Chicken Tenders
1/2 Bottle of Ranch dressing
Couple dashes of garlic Mrs Dash

Toss all together in baking dish and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes

I like to make this w/ the Idaho instant mashed potatoes and a frozen veggie. If nothing is on sale it will be over $5, but if you get the chicken and sides on sale it's under. I count the mrs dash and dressing as freebies b/c those are usually in the pantry anyway and/or you can get dressing free w/ coupon a lot of times.

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #126
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsonja View Post
I do something very very similar to this but w/out meat. Makes it even cheaper and we try to have vegetarian dishes atleast half the week, so it's a winner for that. I've never done it with taco seasoning, will try adding that to mine, and for the cheese I use pepperjack and it gives it some kick.
I make mexican lasagne too! We use enchilada sauce, then put down tortillas, spread w/ sour cream, black beans and drained tomatoes w/ green chilis for main ingredient, then a little more enchilada sauce & some shredded pepperjack cheese (repeat 3x then top 4th layer of tortillas with remaining enchilada sauce & cheese) Since ours is vegetarian, it can definitely be made under $5 (mine is a little over since I buy organic beans, tomatoes and tortillas).
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #127
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyluwho View Post
I've never heard of Fatz Baja Chicken- would you mind telling me how to cook it it sounds super yummy. Is it like a stir fry?
Sorry I just saw your post!

They have it all mixed up like spaghetti sauce. It is really easy to make in fact we are having it tonight
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #128
NMW
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatokimmo View Post
Sorry I just saw your post!

They have it all mixed up like spaghetti sauce. It is really easy to make in fact we are having it tonight
So doyou serve it over pasta? Sounds yummy!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #129
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
So doyou serve it over pasta? Sounds yummy!
Sometimes I'll make penne or whatever pasta is on sale and cook it then simmer it with the sauce. We also do rice.

This week I made the sauce but with a pound of chicken (spark people tells me my protein is too low). Then I doubled the veggies and added a pound of seasoned turkey sausage. I also added some fresh garlic. I chopped it all up in the food processor (hiding the bell pepper from my DD lol). I added half of it to the alfredo and added chili powder. The other half went in the freezer for spaghetti sauce tomorrow.

You can also dump the meat mix into unseasoned tomato sauce or juice, add chili powder and a can of beans and have chili soup. I cook pasta separately to add to this.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #130
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amzasmommy View Post
King Ranch Chicken

1/2 Bag of Chicken Tenders
1/2 Bottle of Ranch dressing
Couple dashes of garlic Mrs Dash

Toss all together in baking dish and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes

I like to make this w/ the Idaho instant mashed potatoes and a frozen veggie. If nothing is on sale it will be over $5, but if you get the chicken and sides on sale it's under. I count the mrs dash and dressing as freebies b/c those are usually in the pantry anyway and/or you can get dressing free w/ coupon a lot of times.
I wanted to tell you I tried this recipe and am curious what you had your oven set on temp wise for this? I just went to take mine out of a 350 oven from 30 minutes of cooking uncovered like you posted and they're still practically raw....just curious...
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote