Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #141
SDRS
Registered Users

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

Broccoli Cheese Soup
4 cups chicken broth
2 c. milk
4 slices cheddar singles
cup flour
½ t. minced onion
¼ t. pepper
4 cups broccoli pieces

Mix all but broccoli, break up lumps, turn heat to med/hi. Bring to boil, reduce to low add broccoli, simmer 15-20 minutes.

Advertisement

SDRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #142
SDRS
Registered Users

Crispy Potato-Zucchini Cakes
2 large russet potatoes, peeled & shredded
2 medium zucchini, shredded (2 cups)
¾ t. salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons cornmeal
1/8 t. freshly ground pepper
1 t. olive oil

Toss potatoes, zucchini and salt in a bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out the liquids and discard. Stir in the egg, cornmeal and pepper. Heat ¼ t. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop ½ potato mixture 2 Tablespoons at a time, into mounds and flatten w/ spatula. Cook until lightly browned, about 12 minutes, turning and adding another ¼ t. oil after 6 minutes. Repeat w/ remaining oil and potato mixture to make a total of 8 cakes. These taste like hashbrowns only lighter
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #143
SDRS
Registered Users

Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pans. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in bowl. Melt butter, add milk and egg. Combine two mixtures enough to dampen the flour. Add chocolate chips and stir well. Pour into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #144
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quesadilla casserole-
left over chiscken shredded
16 corn tortillas
1 can corn
1/2-1lbs chedder cheese
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
Layer ingredients in a 13/9 pan. tomatoes on the very top,and a little more chees cook for 20 min on 350 or until top is turning golden brown.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #145
jeanne211
Registered Users
seller

Here is one that we love. This costs us around $4.75 in Canada, so it is probably around $4 in the US.

Make or buy meatballs (you want around 3 dozen small meatballs) - cook separate first!
1 cup of ketchup
1 cup of brown sugar
1 can of cranberry jelly
1/2 bottle of banana sauce - you can find this in the international section or in a Chinese/Vietnamese grocery store

Add all ingredients together into a slow cooker and stir well. Heat on low for 6-8 hours, stirring 1/2 way through, if you can. Cook some rice and pour sauce/meatballs over the rice. Have with a side of frozen veggies, and you have a very yummy, cheap and quick meal. There is also spicy banana sauce, which is great for those who love spicy foods.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #146
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Prices are approx, for a small town in Iowa.

Tip, I buy the Value pack of boneless/skinless breasts from Wal-Mart, they usually run $10-$12 here but I get around 10 breasts per back so that's $1 each. I count them and get the one with the most breasts

Anyway, this feeds me and my 3 kids with leftovers, feel free to tweak depending on how many you are feeding.

Chicken and Rice Casserole

2 medium sized chicken breasts ($2)
1 can of cream of chicken soup ($1)
1 c rice ($0.50)
1 c (approx) cheese (any kind is fine, cheddar, mexican blend, etc...whatever you want) ($1)

brown the breasts in just a splash of EVOO until they're just brown on the outside (but mostly raw inside)
Once brown cut them into bite sized pieces

While the meat is browning take a 9x13 baking dish and combine can of soup, rice and half a can of water.

Mix in diced up meat

Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes (until rice is tender)

remove cover and top with cheese (very lightly sprinkle)

serve

substitutions...you can use Wisconsin cheese soup and ommit the cheese if you like. Tastes great. Also feel free to add any veggies you like! If you use Wisconsin cheese soup it tastes really good with a little bit of frozen cut broccoli. Carrots are yummy in it. I think peas would be good too but I'm not a fan of peas so I don't know. My mom has tried it with peas and she says it is good.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 08-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #147
chuggington
Registered Users
seller

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

4 bone in chicken thighs (can sub breasts, but thighs are better in this recipe)
1/4 C. soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1/4 C. teriyaki sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. powdered ginger
1/2 t. garlic powder

Place chicken thighs in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour over chicken. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours.

Remove bones, shred, and serve over rice. YUMMY!

Sometimes, an hour before it's done, i'll throw in a bag of frozen california mixed veggies (broccoli, carrot, and cauliflower) and serve over rice. We call them teriyaki bowls (a la Jack in the Box).

Disclaimer: my measurements are approximations. I make the sauce to taste. We prefer it sweeter, so I add extra brown sugar (more like 3-4 T.). I'm not a huge fan of ginger, so I only use a little bit. We like garlic, so I add extra. I don't actually measure anything other than the soy and teriyaki. Everything else I just guesstimate (= Also, you can kinda play with the recipe. Sometimes i'll nix the soy sauce and just use 1/2 C. teriyaki or i'll use fresh garlic and ginger instead of powdered. It doesn't seem to effect the end product much.

Last edited by chuggington; 09-14-2011 at 02:03 AM.
chuggington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #148
Bluerosesmagick
Registered Users

My Mood:

Most of these things we have on hand so its hard to pin exact price BUT here my guess based on local prices/deals:

Rice and Chicken Bake:
2 leg quarters- I get a 10lb bag for 7.00 at Bravo that makes enough for 4 - 5 meals so 2.80?
2 cups of rice
whatever veggies on hand
and 1 can cream of mushroom, chicken, celery, whatever you prefer!

Cook rice and chicken (leftover, canned, boiled whatever works!)
Heat cream soup with milk or water, veggies and chicken.
Spread rice in bottom of baking dish and pour soup over.
Bake long enough for it all to bubble and mix, if you have on hand sprinkle cheese on top or some french fried onions.
Its great!!

Also this is the cheapest thing!
Pork Adobo
You can you pork, beef or chicken
1 onion
1/4th cup soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

cut raw meat into bite sizes or strip off of bone.
Cook onion in the bottom of pot until nice caramel color on high.
Put meat on top of onions and cook on HIGH heat for 10 minutes stirring a lot!
Then pour the soy sauce and vinegar on top and put lid on. Lower heat to LOW and simmer for 20 minutes!
Serve over rice.
Its SOOO good! I have yet to find someone who doesn't like it!!
Bluerosesmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #149
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRS
Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pans. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in bowl. Melt butter, add milk and egg. Combine two mixtures enough to dampen the flour. Add chocolate chips and stir well. Pour into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
I just made these. Super easy and pretty tasty and I had everything on hand.
My only complaint is that I prefer to use paper cups instead of greasing my tins and these seem to stick to the paper a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #150
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just got this from gramma and will have to find a way to make it one of the days:

I make my own pie crust (but you could use the pre-made ones from the grocery store if you’re short of time.) and cut rounds the size of a wide soup/cereal bowl. Put the rounds on a baking sheet and dock holes with a fork to make them lie flat. Make one for each person. Bake at about 400 degrees till nicely golden brown.

For the filling I use Campbell ’s condensed cream of chicken soup. Dilute it with required milk or water. Heat and stir till it’s hot. Add leftover chicken or turkey cut into bite sized chunks. Separately cook some frozen mixed vegetables. Add those to your pot. Heat through. Serve up in your soup bowls. Top each one with a nice big round of flaky (cooked) pie crust. Serve with ketchup if your family likes that. (Grampa does, I eat it plain.)

You could do the same idea with a fruit filling or even instant pudding for quick dessert “pie”. I would probably use smaller bowls, sprinkle the crust with sugar before baking, and make the crust rounds small sized to fit your dessert bowls.

This is what I do.
I use 3 cups of flour
1½ tsp salt, then mix
Cut in 1 cup Crisco, added one chunk at a time (I use my food processor.)
Gradually add about 1/3 cup water

I use what I want and put the rest in a Tupperware container in the freezer. Each time I have extra dough I add it to the container. After a while I have enough dough to make a big cobbler or whatever I want.
She said leftover meat works great to save money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My mom's SOS, Sh*t on a shingle:
Any leftover meat-ham, chicken, turkey, ground meat, sassage.
White gravey-flour,milk, and butter.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Pour over toast.

That's it. Super easy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom's way:

shreded chicken laid on top of egg noodles.
slather on 1-2 can cream or chicken soup. Depending on size of can/pan size.
then, slather on a container of sour cream. Size also depends on above.
use a fork to kinda mix it just a bit. add salt and pepper if you like.
crumble up ritz style crackers.
bake til hot all the way through.

optional: sprinkle with shreded chedder ontop of the wet layer, just under the crackers.

Great for leftovers and quick and easy!

Whenever we get to missing ma, my sister and I make this

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote