Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #171
SurprisinglyCrunchy
Registered Users
seller

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

What size can of tomato sauce do you use?

Advertisement

SurprisinglyCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #172
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisinglyCrunchy View Post
Just depends on how far you stretch it... I usually do a small one and add any diced tomatoes if I have them...
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #173
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisinglyCrunchy
I use 1 8ounce can unless I am doubling the recipe, in which case, use 2. Or, if you prefer a more tomato flavor, by all means, add more! It is a very forgiving recipe.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #174
Maiya2002
Registered Users

My Mood:

Okra & Tomatoes (Pantry version)

1 bag of frozen okra (16 oz - $1.50)
1 can of diced/stewed/whatever you have tomatoes ($0.50)
1 lb of sausage/ground beef/turkey/any meat leftovers you may have ($3.00)
Zatarains or any Creole Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic salt are just fine too)
Hot sauce or red pepper flakes to your taste (can be left out)
Cooked rice - can be leftover, new, instant, etc.

Brown your meat if you aren't using leftovers. At the same time, cook the okra according to the package. I buy the cut okra, but you can use the full size if you like. Drain the oil from the meat and add the cooked okra into the same pan as the meat. If you use leftovers, just combine the leftover meat and okra into one pan. Add the canned tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes. Sometimes I let it sit longer, it just depends on how tomato-y you'd like your dish. You can add the creole seasonings and hot sauce in the beginning or later if you'd like.

I always serve this with white rice, but it's pretty good with brown rice too. I buy the huge 20+ lbs bag of rice as well, so the cost for me is pretty low.
Maiya2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #175
Maiya2002
Registered Users

My Mood:

Turkey or Sausage Rice (Might be a little more than $5)

I make this one quite a bit as it's easy and for the most part pretty inexpensive and filling. There are always lots of leftovers for hubby to take for lunch. You can also stretch this out with more rice if you'd like.

4-5 cups of brown or white rice - $1.00
1 package of ground turkey - $3.99
1 onion - $0.20
1 carrot - $0.20
2 celery stems - $0.20
2 -3 cloves of garlic - $0.20
Creole Seasonings or Salt and Pepper
Jalapenos or red pepper flakes or hot sauce (can be omitted)

Cook your rice. If using leftovers, skip this step. Chop all the veggies (including jalapenos) and saute in olive oil until soft. Once soft, set aside in a bowl. Brown the turkey/sausage until thoroughly cooked. Drain oil. Add back all the veggies into the pan along with the cups of cooked rice. It's better if the rice is still a little moist or wet as this adds moisture to the dish. Add seasonings (about 2-3 tablespoons of the creole seasonings) including red pepper flakes or hot sauce if you wanted to add it, stir and let sit for about 10 minutes.

You can add more veggies or use ground beef if you like as well. This meal really can be stretched and is totally flexible on whatever you have on hand. When bell peppers are in season, I also add that to this dish. Hubby is always happy to take this to work the next day.

Last edited by Maiya2002; 10-15-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added measurement for seasonings
Maiya2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #176
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Cadence View Post
One of my favorites!
Taco Soup

1lb ground turkey (or beef if you prefer) approx $2.50
(1) 4oz can green chilis, chopped .80
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Onion (optional, we do not use it)
(1) pkg taco seasoning .50
(1)pkg ranch (or 1 cup liquid ranch, we have tried both ways the pkg ranch tastes better) $1.00 for a packet cheaper with liquid ranch
(1) can southwestern style corn (or hominy) $1.25
(2) 14 1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained $2.00
(1) 15oz can of kidney beans, undrained .60
(2) 15oz cans of pinto beans, undrained $1.20
1 2/3 cup of water

=$9.85
This is a double or triple recipe. With any extras costs goes up.

Brown turkey (or beef) and onion if desired in skillet. Pour in the browned meat along with all other ingredients in pot, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 min. Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream!

This feeds our family of five three times, so for us its a triple recipe! Its filling and the kids love it! Its freezes very well also.
I keep meaning to comment on here because I totally love this thread, but this is the best recipe I've found on this thread and I just wanted to recommend it! It is so good, we have it twice a month during the fall/winter. I use my leftover taco meat in this so that expense is taken out. My family must eat a lot of it because I have to add more beans to make it a double recipe for us, but I just add a can of kidney and a can of black beans to it (which is cheap) and freeze a Ziploc bag full of what's left for the next time. I also love cutting up an avocado and putting it in there with all of the other fixings when I serve it, YUM!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #177
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Here in my area there is a common dish called "hamburger gravy".

1lb of ground beef
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
dash of oregano

Carmelize the onions, brown the ground beef. Add the can of soup & 1/2 - 1 can of milk. Add the Worcestershire sauce & oregano. Let simmer on low-med heat for a few minutes. Add diluted corn starch to thicken if necessary.

We serve this with mashed potatoes & veggies. So good when you mix it up with the potatoes, hehe. We have also added peas & corn to the gravy before, as well as add all of it together [gravy, peas, corn, potatoes] & then baked it in a casserole dish with cheese on top.

It gets gobbled up quickly here.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #178
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBee
Here in my area there is a common dish called "hamburger gravy". 1lb of ground beef 1 can of cream of mushroom soup 1 onion, diced 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce dash of oregano Carmelize the onions, brown the ground beef. Add the can of soup & 1/2 - 1 can of milk. Add the Worcestershire sauce & oregano. Let simmer on low-med heat for a few minutes. Add diluted corn starch to thicken if necessary. We serve this with mashed potatoes & veggies. So good when you mix it up with the potatoes, hehe. We have also added peas & corn to the gravy before, as well as add all of it together [gravy, peas, corn, potatoes] & then baked it in a casserole dish with cheese on top. It gets gobbled up quickly here.
This gravy is also good over toast, torn

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #179
Imb3cca
Registered Users

My Mood:

Loving this thread! Here's a recipe we just had last night. It's a little spicy, but you could sub diced tomatoes for the rotel.

Smoked sausage pasta:
1lb smoked turkey sausage
1/2 diced onion
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can rotel-style diced tomatoes w/chiles
8 oz dry pasta
1 cup shredded cheese

Add a little oil to an oven safe skillet and brown sausage and onions. Add everything else except for the cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmering and cover with a lid. Cook for 15mins or until pasta is tender. Stir in 1/2 the cheese. Then top with rest of the cheese and broil until it's bubbly. Yum!

You can definitely just use half& half or milk for the cream, but it won't be as creamy. I also tend to make the chicken broth with bouillon and water, it's usually cheaper. Enjoy!
Imb3cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #180
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have made two cheapies this past week that were good.

Grilled chicken corn cajun soup
1 pound chicken we grilled and froze - 1.77
1 pd frozen corn - .77 (I love priceless!)
1 bag 10 bean soup, cajun flavor 2.00

Make the bean soup like normal in the crock pot then dump in the chicken and corn in the last couple of hours. Since the beans come with the seasoning pack, this is a cheapie.

1 can tomato juice 1.00
1 pound ground beef 2.25
1 pound dried kidney beans 1.50
1/2 celery .60
1/2 pound carrots .35
2 chili packets .66
4 frozen tomatoes - ? I buy them in a big box at the farmers market
A little over $5. You can also add onion powder or fresh. I add more chili powder to my bowl too. Tabasco gives it a kick but my DD doesn't like it so I add it afterwards. This is our third day of eating on this. I am tired of it lol but I keep thinking what a bargain it is.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote