Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #181
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Re: The "~$5 Meal Ideas~" thread...

My new favorite!

Chicken and Rice Soup

4 T. Chicken Boullion ($.75)
5 C. Water
1/2 C. Celery, Chopped ($.20 maybe?)
1 C. carrots (chopped or grated) ($.30 maybe?)
1/4 C. onion ($.10 maybe?)
2 t. parsley ($.10-.20 maybe?)
1 C. diced chicken (cooked) $2 (or cheaper if you get it on sale)
2 C. rice (I use instant and that means this is about $.75 -- long grain would be cheaper)

So about $4.30 or so?

Combine all ingredients except chicken. Simmer until rice is soft. Add cooked chicken. Simmer for 10 more minutes and Enjoy.

Advertisement

frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #182
jsbb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like to make a variation of sausage and gravy over biscuits with chicken noodle soup. It's great comfort food and easy on the stomach, great for when you're fighting the flu/stomach bugs, etc.

1 cup Bisquick - approx. $0.40
1/3 cup milk - approx $0.10, based on 1/2 gallon costing $2.29 locally

Mix together, split between 4 greased muffin cups or drop onto cookie sheets in 4 even mounds, bake at 350 for 15-18 mins for muffins, about 10 minutes for biscuits.

Heat up a can of reduced sodium cream of chicken soup ($1.69) with half a can of water. Cut open biscuits and spoon the soup over them.

Total cost: $2.19 for 4 servings, about 275 calories each. Serve with veggies on the side. Can be doubled if needed for larger portions while still staying under $5. Adding a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ to the biscuits would give it more nutrition and substance for just a little bit more money.
jsbb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #183
SF_mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is ridiculously quick and simple, but my husband LOVES this soup and requests it all the time. I almost don't want to teach him how to make it, just to maintain the illusion of my being an excellent cook.

Red Lentil Soup

Easy to make with cheap pantry staples, this soup pairs well with a hunk of crusty bread on a rainy day. Or have it with brown rice for a complete protein. The soup is very flexible; the basic version is below, but I often thrown in veggies I have around, such as cauliflower or carrots. Serve with a dusting of smoked paprika if you have it. Freezes well.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced (optional)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
6 cups water
Vegetable bouillon (amount depends on the type you use)

Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a medium-sized pot. Add the onions, saute for a few minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for a couple more minutes. Then add the cumin, ginger (optional), and chili powder. Cook for just a minute or two--don't burn the cumin. Throw in the lentils, water, and bouillon. (I use Better Than Bouillon vegetable flavor, which has a nice taste.) Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat and simmer until lentils are cooked through. Scoop about half of the soup out into a separate bowl temporarily, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup remaining in the pot until it's smooth, then recombine the blended and non-blended halves in the pot. (If you don't have an immersion blender, you can leave it as-is for a chunkier soup, or blend half of the soup in a blender, taking care to allow steam to escape for safety.) Stir, salt to taste, and you're ready to eat!
SF_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #184
emmybee
Registered Users

Anybody have any good vegetarian recipes?

We like a tofu stirfry... Stirfry any vegetables you have on hand (fresh or frozen), add in one box of tofu, and some stir fry sauce (one $2 bottle usually lasts for 2-4 meals if you water it down a bit). Make some rice and you're set!
emmybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #185
clairitek
Registered Users

Lentil Stew (Betty Crocker recipe)

3 carrots
1 pepper
1 onion
2 cups dry lentils rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt free seasoning blend (I used 21 Season Salute from Trader Joes)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis

Crock pot for 7-8 hours on low

Optional Cornmeal Dumpings
1/2 c flour
1/2 c yellow cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c skim milk
2 T canola oil
1 egg

30 mins before end of cooking mix up dumpling ingredients and drop by the spoonful on top of stew with heat increased to high. Cover and cook for 30 mins.
clairitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #186
clairitek
Registered Users

Crock Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken

3-4 chicken thighs
1 jar salsa
1 can corn
1 can beans (I cook my own, muuuuuch cheaper- 1/2 cup dried beans, soak for 4 hours, simmer for 1.5 hours or until cooked is equal to 1 can of beans).
2 T taco season blend (mix my own)

Mix all ingredients and simmer for 3 hours on high in crock pot. Remove thighs and shred and return to pot. Cook until sauce is reduced. Great for eating by itself or putting in a burrito or tacos.
clairitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #187
kimmielou
Registered Users

I love this website "Budget Bytes" for thrifty, delicious meal ideas:

Her Dragon Noodles are addictive. I add in a few veggies and protein to make it a full meal.

Serves: 2
Ingredients
4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
2 Tbsp butter $0.20
¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
1 large egg $0.25
1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
1 Tbsp sriracha (rooster sauce) $0.08
1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
1 sliced green onion $0.06

Instructions
Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).
While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!
kimmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #188
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmielou View Post
I love this website "Budget Bytes" for thrifty, delicious meal ideas:

Her Dragon Noodles are addictive. I add in a few veggies and protein to make it a full meal.

Serves: 2
Ingredients
4 oz. lo mein noodles $1.13
2 Tbsp butter $0.20
¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
1 large egg $0.25
1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
1 Tbsp soy sauce $0.02
1 Tbsp sriracha (rooster sauce) $0.08
1 handful fresh cilantro $0.22
1 sliced green onion $0.06

Instructions
Begin to boil water for the noodles. Once the water reaches a full boil, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions (boil for 5-7 minutes).
While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the red pepper to the butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off the heat.
When the noodles are tender, drain the water and then add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on to low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onions and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve!
This sounds yummy
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #189
neatokimmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is our meal plan for 5 days this week.There are three of us, but the kid eats like an adult.

We got a pork loin from Kroger. It was $1.79 pp and was a little over 4 pounds and the cost was $7.36. I put this in the crockpot with a can of chicken broth. I took meal 5's portion of meat and put it in the freezer. 5 days in the fridge weirds me out.

Meal One: 4.86
Shredded pork with gravy, peas and stuffing.
Pork - $1.47
broth from crockpot - .50
milk - 1.00
Peas - .89
stove top - $1.00

Meal Two: 5.54
Pulled pork with chips and apples.
Pork - $1.47
1 bottle of bbq - .99
1 bag of buns - .99
chips - 1.29
apples - .80 (these were 40 cents a pound this week)

Meal Three: 5.30
Chinese Pizza
Pork - 1.47
Chinese bbq sauce (it is similar to Chinese ribs sauce, think of a bbq chicken pizza with more zing) - $1.29
Mozzerella Cheese - $1.79
Homemade crust - .50
sprouts - .25 (I grow these from seed in a mason jar. They are radish and peppery and go on top of the pizza.)

Meal Four: 3.53
Pork fried rice and cooked cabbage
pork - 1.47
bag of mixed vegs= .89
rice - .25
2 eggs - .17
5 spice powder (no clue?)
half an onion - .25
cabbage - .50

Vietnamese Pork Sandwich & slaw: 4.42
pork - 1.47
jalapeno - .10
cucumber - .50
buns from above
3-4 baby carrots (no clue)
little bit of sugar and vinegar (no clue)
a little mayo (no clue)
half an onion - .25
a little Sriracha - .10 (it was $1 a bottle)
some fish sauce, hoisin sauce, (neither are expensive, let's say $1 max)
cabbage - .50
mayo, vinegar, sugar - .50 max

$23.65

Some items are super hard to price out. I few sauces and such, I picked up from asian markets which are always cheaper than a regular store. We primarily shop at Aldi, and pick up specials at Kroger. Our rice, flour, and yeast all came from Sams in big bags. I am sure I am off a little one pricing (plus we are missing that pesky tax), but this is pretty close.
neatokimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #190
hollyg23
Registered Users

1 pkg beef smoked sausage
4 russet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper
Sauté potatoes in skillet with oil for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients and cook until veggies are tender
hollyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote