Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

weekly HN thread June 26th

Here is last weeks thread http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16057

This is a disussion for mamas of high needs children/infant. NO DRAMA just support please. If you disagree or feel a bit of drama coming on please hit your back button and "walk" away.

If you are unsure if you have a HN baby check here
http://askdrsears.com/html/5/T050400.asp

So now that all the formalities aside:

Burnout. In a word that is how I feel many days. Today is just another day where I am burned out. Just one of many. My coping skills consist of breathing, Ben n Jerries ice cream, going to the gym, walking and just giving in and loving here even more than she requires.
Breathing sounds simple eneugh, but when she is really throwing a fit counting to ten (or 20 or 30) and breathing really puts me back in the game. I eat waaaaayyyyy too much ice cream. My current yeast infection is proof of that. Gotta stop that. Going to the gym alone is a rarity. I am finding it impossible to leave her in the childcare for more than 1/2 hr anymore. Some,ok most, mornings I strap her on my back and go out for a long walk. A loooooonnnng one. She is happiest then usually. Somedays though she is so wound that she scootches and fusses even then. And then I just give in order pizza for supper, explain to the dirty laundy how today is not the day for chores and love her up. I sit and cuddle her endlessly. I ask dh and dd to bring me water ect... you would think I had a nb. I just sit and nurse her. sadly that happens alot of days and my house is a wreck. I remember when she was younger, 4mo, I thought I had postpardem depression. I realize now that I was just sooooooo burned out. I try not to let it get that bad and take care now. It is hard some weeeks.

I could definatey use some more coping skills. How do you cope? Lets get a list started that we all could draw from when needed.

Huge ((((Hugs)) to all

MT. Sarah

Advertisement

Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Re: weekly HN thread June 26th

Burnout Busters!

Breath. just count to 10 and breathe deep
Take a walk
Eat ice cream
exercise
play
cuddle
yell to the universe

Last edited by Mount*n*sunshine; 06-26-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have any good burnout busters...I usually yell (not at him, just out loud...to the universe...to anyone who may be listening - except i'm not yelling words...just ahhhhhhh)...and then it scares him (not my intentions and it doesn't always scare him)....and then i feel really bad and it brings me back to earth.

He's not even happy being held any more....but he doesn't want down either....he wants me to play, CONSTANTLY. So he wants me to be in the floor, playing...making goofy faces and noises CONSTANTLY...and he *has* to have 1 hand on me at all times...and I made the mistake of laying in the floor and he had climbed on top of me..so he was laying on his belly - on my belly...and i grabbed his hips/thighs and flipped him over my head....now every time i'm in the floor, he tries to climb in my lap and stand on his head to flip over....as hysterically funny as it is...it gets old! He's completely exhausting. He has to be going ALL the time...but not just going, he has to be going on me/with me...ALL THE TIME. And NOBODY else will do...

I was dying to go on a walk this morning with them and burn some energy early on....but noooooo...it's got to rain all the freakin time. Grrr. No ice cream for me as I'm trying to lose weight - with that said, I can't workout when he's awake...and his measly naps don't leave me much time! We had established a pretty good routine where he was napping for like 90 min or so in the late morning/early afternoon...and working out was such a good stress reliever.....i dunno what happened!!

So yeah....again, glad we're here for each other!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

nothing to "report" today lol just wanna my sisters hope everyone has a good week!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

I hope somebody got some sleep..........

Sierra wants to be touching me always too. If i walk away 10 steps to blow my nose she freaks. Going potty is an event!

on the bright side she started giving kisses and high fives! It is soooo cute! hope y'all have a great day!

Mt. Sarah
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think my kids are plotting against me. LOL. My 2.5yo isn't HN, but he's teething (WHAT?)...and between the 2 of them (and myself), i feel like i get about 15 min of sleep...LOL...I sleep terribly anyway...but with them both waking up constantly....and it goes...drake wakes up...i get him back asleep andlaid down....fall asleep for like 10 min, kain wakes up...i get him back to sleep and laid down....15min later, drake wakes up..LOL..i swear...if i weren't delirious from lack of sleep, i'd probably be getting irritated.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

is it normal for HN babies to not sleep. Poor Taci,she is only getting about 9hrs of sleep a day. I know she wants to sleep more but with every little noise she startles herself awake. Now if it were just Taci,DH and myself that really wouldnt be a problem,but we also have a 6 and 3 year old. Any advice I'm worried she's going to get sick or stop growing due to the lack of sleep

Sarah
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #8
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's my understanding that less sleep for a HN baby is pretty normal, but I'm not an expert. Drake is only 10mo and I learned about HN (the label, not the behavior) at around 7.5 to 8mo. So I really dunno the difference between what's 'normal' and what's 'normal' for my child But Drake doesn't sleep all that much...to me, it seems like he has trouble staying asleep (which I also have) and restless leg syndrome (which I also have)...even in his sleep he's flailing around...and crawls in his sleep...it's really weird, but anyway..he doesn't sleep nearly as much as my 2yo did at that age.

Oh also...I made a new thread for this issue...but do any of you have problems with your HN child & sharing? He's only 10 months, but he FREAKS out when his brother has a toy..because he wants that toy AT THAT MOMENT. He *has* to have every toy that my 2yo has...no matter the toy..no matter the time...no matter thetoys I try to distract him with...he just melts down...I assume it's related to being HN, but...I don't know....but it's ANNOYING...like i said in the other post...it's kind of funny when you standback and watch...but it also breaks myheart because he's so distressed obviously...but it's terribly annoying because NOTHING fixes it and he just screams/cries/whines (without stopping!).....and it seems like this behavior fills our day....

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 06-30-2006 at 08:18 AM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote