Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #21
cldaniele
Registered Users

Re: s/o-Were you allowed to eat & drink during labour?

Nope. I got ice chips and an iv. But I kept eating dh's teddy grahams while I watched my body swell up from the iv. I was always afraid I was going to 'get caught.'

Advertisement

cldaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #22
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

lol...the people present for my birth were dh and I, in our home....I was clearly free to do as i pleased...although i didn't eat in labor because i didn't want to.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #23
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter was born way too fast for me to even ask for food! I had just ate supper when my water broke at home. I stayed home until I couldn't even walk by myself without having someone there to hang on when my contractions came. We got to the hospital at 9-9:30 and I started pushing at 10:45, she was here at 10:57 pm They barely even had time to sign me in!! But they asked me after she was out and cleaned up if I wanted a sandwich or something (the kitchen was closed, but the nurses station had sandwiches). With DC#1 I was induced due to pre-e (I gained about 50 in my last few weeks of pregnancy, I was in BAD BAD shape.) Anyway, the doc advised me to go home and make sure I ate before coming in to be induced. My family brought me food outside of the hospital when I was in labor with DC#1 and no one ever said anything.

My labor was actually funny. I had high BP and severe, sudden pre-e with DC#1 and at my 37 week appt with DC#2 my BP was rather high so I was sent right away to L&D to make sure I was not spilling protein and to monitor me. The nurse that saw me was still there when I went back later that night to have her. She said "What are you doing back already?!" She was my nurse that night too, she was also very pregnant and so wonderful!

I love my hospital and OB. They are very VBAC friendly and went on and on about how I was the poster child for VBACs.

Ok, getting off my rant now
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #24
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

My midwives allowed me to eat and drink whatever I wanted to at my hospital birth. But I really didn't want to eat very much and they had to keep reminding me to drink. (No IV, either)
bgjmhg03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #25
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

1st was an induction scheduled to be @ hosp @ 7a...and wasn't allowed food past midnight...and only the random ice chip for thirst...ACK

2nd was natural (spontaneous?) labor @ the hosp and I was also only allowed the random ice chip...same hospital 19 months after my first - i hadn't expected rules to change.

Neither was really long, but I'm a thirsty person naturally...and then going through labor, I was dying!

I really don't understand why docs implement all of these crazy rules....when women have birthed babies naturally and doing whatever they felt like for...quite a long time!
Old 07-01-2006, 06:31 AM   #26
AmandaSue22
Registered Users

Mine was an induction. No food at all the entire time. They asked me when I got there if I ate and I said yes a cinnabon. They made me eat a ham and cheese sandwhich. I was allowed water and ice chips the entire time. I was SOOOOO thirsty.

<DS>http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13911.0
AmandaSue22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #27
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if some places don't let you eat in case they need to do a cs and the whole anesthisia(sp?) and no food thing?
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #28
starwithnolight
Registered Users
seller

With my daughter I was offered drinks (water, ginger ale, juice) but not anything to eat. I wasn't in labor long though, so I just know if they would have.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #29
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was allowed to eat and drink during my daughters labor- i had a homebirth with her.
My first born was in a hospital and i couldnt have anything. i was exhausted and weak from not being able to eat or drink. Especially since my labor was 11hrs long.
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #30
AmandaSue22
Registered Users

Oh I forgot to mention I was dying of starvation. 25 1/2 hours of induced labor will do that to you with no food lol 10 minutes after I gave birth I had KFC on its way!

<DS>http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=13911.0
AmandaSue22 is offline   Reply With Quote