Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
mama2six
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2five

My Mood:
Question S/O of when to take paci away.....

I have a question, why give a pacifier in the first place?
And before this turns into Drama, I'm NOT NOT NOT saying there is anything wrong with pacifiers, I am Simply Curious as to what prompts parents to use them.

None of my 5 children ever had one. I just didn't feel the need for it. And I never had problems with any of them crying all the time or wanting to nurse constantly or anything like that. So I wondered, did I just get really lucky or what? lol. Those who give them, did you start at birth? Or did baby want to suck constantly or fuss all the time and that's when you started?

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O of when to take paci away.....

as for us my dd wouldn't sleep unless she was sucking on something she only uses her pacifier at nap and bedtime.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
meco
Registered Users

I think some kids have more of a need to constantly suck than others. My kid was cool without one because he did not have the intense need. Some kids do. And the finger is just not working. And it can wear a mama down, you have to meet both people's needs. Sometimes it can be a welcome relief. I personally am not a fan because of the reliance and subsequent need to always have one on hand all the time or else, but it my kid needed one I would get over that, yk? I would be more inclined to use it in moment's of need and try to avoid a long term reliance on it, but it is not all about my preferences.
meco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my kids had a strong need to suck, despite pretty constant nursing. (My point being that I always offered the breast first.)

So I offered a paci to give my nipples a break, in the car for soothing/comfort when I couldn't hold them or nurse, and at nighttime when they weren't really wanting to nurse, but sucking would soothe them off to sleep. We coslept, and I didn't want to have them latched on all night.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I'd rather have my kid use a pacifier than suck her thumb honestly. I can monitor and wean binky usage. Her thumb is attached to her and I can't take it away. She did suck her hands very briefly after the pacifier was gone (only when upset though). Even at two she still sticks her hand in her mouth when upset (we joke that you can tell how upset by how many fingers she's got in her mouth).
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
I'd rather have my kid use a pacifier than suck her thumb honestly. I can monitor and wean binky usage. Her thumb is attached to her and I can't take it away.
ITA!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
mommiesnohow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was first born he cried and cried and cried and it seems like the only way to calm him was to nurse him but you can't constantly keep him at breast 24/7 so we had to give him a paci. He uses it when he is fussy. I didn't want to use one either, but it didn't seem like there was any other choice.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I believe a pacifier has been shown to do less damage to teeth than a thumb. Also you can't take a thumb away.
My first had a VERY high sucking need and if I didn't want to nurse constantly then I had to give a paci but I keep them away for about the first week while establishing bfing.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds was in the NICU and he needed the sucking help, so the nurses gave it to him, and we just never took it away when he got out, because he still needed to work some on the sucking.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Because my kid screamed 24/7. He was a preemie and was born with some special needs and was in a lot of discomfort for his first 4 months of life. I didn't really want him to take a bink at first, but the stupid nurses gave him one with sugar water to calm him when he was screaming because he had to stay under the jaundice lights. So, then it seemed to comfort him, and we just let him have one. It was the soothie for a long time, then we swapped to one he could keep in his mouth better, the playtex ortho-pro.

I don't see anything wrong with binks at all. I personally would rather not be a humas pacifier. I see nothing wrong with moms who don't mind it, but for me, breastfeeding was excruciatingly (sp?) painful, so letting him suck just for the need to suck wasn't going to happen. If he wanted to suck, but wasn't hungry, we used the bink.