Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Does your toddler wear glasses?

I was curious how toddler vision problems presented themselves...anybody?

I ask out of curiousity, and not worry...but I'll tell the reason why I'm asking. My 'baby' (who is almost 2) was born with his eye somehow scarred (The iris...is pulled into the pupil a little bit...as if you were to pour 2 cake batters in 1 pan and then use a toothpick to pull one color/flavor into the other..make sense?). He's had regular appts with the eye doc to watch it and make sure that it doesn't begin to impair his vision. The last appt was Oct '06 and he goes again this Oct ('07).

Anyway...so...anybody with a toddler who wears glasses? How did you determine they needed to be seen or needed glasses?

Advertisement

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 07-17-2007 at 07:38 AM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your toddler wear glasses?

Ds is 26m and has had glasses for a couple months, but he fights them so bad and has already broke 1 pr, so needless to say we will probably be doing a patch with him to help strengthen his 1 eye, in a couple months
Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Well my dd is 6 months so not a toddler. But she's been in glasses since 3 or 4 months. She has them b/c she is cross eyed and very farsighted. You can take him to a ped. opthalmologist to have his vision checked.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

Here she is right after we got them. She honestly barely ever has them on. I can't keep them on her. She either takes them off and throws them or chews on them.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

He's seen a ped opthamologist several times and will see him again in Oct, I was just curious what the indications were that something was wrong

Thanks ladies.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 21 months old and her doc has been talking glasses for the past year if her vision doesn't improve. She's very farsighted from what the doc tells us, he said the only reason she's not in glasses now is her eyes have not crossed so he wants to wait to see if it gets any better.

I wanna know how to keep them on also, her next appt. is in Nov. and from the past experiances, it doesn't look like her eyes are getting better....
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
blyessing
Registered Users
seller

My niece wears glasses. She has had them about a year now and she just turned 3. When she was an infant she had brachacefally (an that word is not spelled right) but her head was growing like a football so she need a DOC band to correct it. However, the military insurance didn't want to pay for it, saying it was cosmetic and not needed. So her parents had to end up paying out of pocket for it. But during the time she didn't have her DOC band it messed her eyes up some. It wasn't until she was older around 2 they noticed her squinting one of her eyes alot. So they took her to get checked and sure enough she has eye problems now which they believe was a result from not getting her DOC band sooner. She also has to wear a patch over her strong eye for an hour a day to help strengthen her weaker eye.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My family all has glasses except for me. All of my sisters had to wear them from a very young age. Symptoms: squinting, coloring with nose almost at book, writing/drawing close to paper. Having to watch movies up close. Two of my sisters had glasses by 3, the other actually had to have surgery on her lazy eye after many months of diligent patch wearing. If they truely need the glasses they will leave them on. Even when they were young, the would ask for them.

HTH
Old 07-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS has accomodative esotropia. Which means that he crosses his eyes to compensate for not being able to see...it focuses his vision. We noticed him doing this at about 20 months, he's 3 1/2 now, so he's been in glasses for a while. We were on the lookout for eye troubles, as my husband had strabismus (lazy eye) as a baby and now he just has terrible eyesight. His prescription was shockingly strong for such a little guy, and his most recent prescription was even stronger. In retrospect, he was a clingy baby and disliked changes in his environment, and hated the dark. We figure it's probably because he couldn't see a darn thing. So sad.

Eye troubles in kids are getting to be more common...better screening and diagnosis?

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

See, my son has been getting increasingly clingy (and I figure this could also be something totally different)...and he's begun watching movies close up...even when he watches me walk away, he can't find me. I have noticed some squinting, but I'd say it's been more along the lines of play rather than struggling to see something.