Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
julie123
Registered Users

Need advice- new to cloths

I am looking for some advice please.

I am pregnant with triplets due at the end of October, but I will likely deliver mid-september.

These are my first (and only ) children and I have no experience with cloth diapers. When weighing the costs of disposables for 3 infants ($500+ a momth) and cloths ($225 a month), I am choosing the latter because money is a huge issue for us right now.

That being said, can someone recommend to me the best type of diaper covers to purchase, to use over cloth diapers from a diaper service?

Also, how many do you think I need to purchase per baby?

Thank you for your help!

Julie

Advertisement

julie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
momto3boys
Banned
seller

Re: Need advice- new to cloths

I would suggest something like bummis super whisper wraps for covers they hold up really well. If you snappi on the prefolds you can probably reuse the covers several times before washing. You can also check the FSOT section for cheap covers. HTH
momto3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Welcome and congrats on your little blessings!
LIke pp said, I would go with Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, a lot of people also like proraps for newborns (they come with a notch for the umby cord).

Have you considered buying and washing your own dipes? That will save you TONS of money, and it's not difficult at all. Plus you can use a variety of different dipes rather than just prefolds.

If you browse around here, you can get all kinds of helpful tips on washing, and also the kinds of dipes we all love to get.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats!

I agree with the PP. Buying and washing your own will save you a lot more money Plus you can get easier diapers like AIOs or pocket diapers.

After your babies out grow a size, you can resell them and purchase the next size
Old 06-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the other mama's--you might want to look into buying your dipes and washing them yourself--you could save A LOT of money that way.

I'm sure it seems overwhelming, especially with THREE babies, but you'd be suprised how you'll find a "groove" and it isn't as much work as you probably think it is. In fact, I actually *gasp* look forward to doing diaper laundry, LOL!!

Definitely check out BSSW, they are great!

Good luck and congrats on your babies!!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say IF you can afford a service use it, at least for a little while, while you get used to have triplets. Make sure the service has small enough prefolds. Your babes will probably swim in infant size at first. Make sure to get small enough covers and have $$ put aside in case you need preemie ones.

I'd say just about any XS/newborn cover would work. Proraps are nice because they have the cord dip. Bumkins and Bummis SWW work nice to just fold the diaper in the cover and close. They have cute prints too. I think Bumpy are ok, but they run a bit big. There's Mother Ease, Litewraps, pull on covers like Bumkins Pull Ons, Bummis Whisper Pants, Dappi. Plus there's TONS of WAHM covers out there. I avoid cotton outers no matter how cute.

Once you're settled in with the routine of three babies I'd use your $200+ to buy the prefolds you need and wash my own. BF poop doesn't need pre-rinsed, it just goes in the pail. FF poop is easily sprayed off with a Mini-Shower (best $35 my dh ever spent on me). Then just toss in the washer with a tiny bit of detergent, do a double rinse and dry. No biggie.

With three in dipes I'd stick with prefolds if at all possible. They're easy to wash, dry, store, get stains off of, mke great burp cloths, changing pads, etc. You might end up wanting a better night time or outings dipe, but for everyday use I'd stick with pf. It'll save you a TON of $$$. http://www.diaperpages.com has good info on using prefolds, and cloth in general. Make sure to do plenty of practice changes before babies arrive. I used a doll and practiced with the folding and Snappi many times before my son arrived. I wasn't so nervous with my first changes and got a pretty good fit.

Congratulations on your new blessings!!! What a grand adventure awaits you. And, welcome to DiaperSwappers!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to add... if you want babies' bums to feel dry you can buy some cheap fleece (cheaper the better) and cut into rectangles or hourglass shapes (no sewing needed). Lay in the pf next to baby's skin for a feel dry layer.

And, please check out FSOT for covers and anything else you need. Babies go through those nb/sm covers soooooo fast.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
belladonna
Registered Users

Congratulations!! How exciting!

I would consider washing my own too--one $200 investment (just ballparking there, I think you could do it for less even with triplets) will cover the babies for about 6 mos before they need a bigger size. I loved Motherease wraps the best, and the Alexis side snap is a really inexpensive option and they work great (they no longer make but they do a pull-on). I didn't have much luck fitting my 6 lb dd in Bummis or Proraps until she was bigger but there are tons of good covers out there, I see my buddies above have listed several options It's really no trouble to throw in a load of diapers every night, 5 minutes to load & swap to dryer, toss in a basket when they're done.

Edit to add--username Granitesmith on ebay has really nice, affordable prefolds & I think covers too if you want to price some out.
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

little-lions.com has great package deals on pf and covers. Gina might do a deal for covers too. Contact her. http://www.little-lions.com

Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

granitesmith's shut down i believe...that's where i got my first pf's. another ds mama said they closed b/c the lady has passed away.

i haven't cd'ed yet (soon though!) based off of looks...i like the bummis and motherease right now. i like the feel of them. i have some gerber e-z covers, those have been discontinued though (not enough of a demand, i called gerber lol) but you can find them on ebay and the fsot on here as well as big lots. some other mama's have said they love them and they're supposed to be very compareable to pro-raps.

also i've read that you really don't need to worry about the cord stump being covered with the diaper or the wrap...just it being rubbed by it.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote