Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
b0000urns
Registered Users

Re: Fattening a two-year-old

He's just lean and short, but healthy. The doc was interested in his size, but not concerned. I don't want to fatten him up, I just needed to hear someone else tell me it's fine he's not a giant. Thanks for the support.

Advertisement

b0000urns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #12
averysmom
Registered Users

I know exactly how you feel. My dd will be 2 in Aug and she only weighs 18lbs. She looks like a 8 month old baby. Her old ped. has had a huge concern and that makes me worry. She convinced me to stop nursing at 8 months because she said she wasn't getting enough calories. Nothing changed when we did stop nursing, she's just little. She does eat and is not picky, this makes me feel better. We are seeing a new ped. when she goes in for her 2 yr check up. I hope and pray that they don't start talking growth hormones. Her last ped. was ready for that. Kids usually hit a growth spurt between the ages of 2 and 3. I bet your lo will get his growth spurt soon.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

All my kids have been small and my son weighed #16lbs. at 1yr. He comes by it honestly as DH was only 30lbs. when he entered Kindergarten. I figure as long as they are healthy, this is how they were intended to be. BTW, DH is an average-sized guy now. I agree w/pp that fattening foods don't have to be "bad" and I would give natural nut butter, raw nuts (if he can chew them okay), avacados, hummus w/veggies before I gave ice cream. Also, check the ingredients before giving him packaged/processed high-calorie food as alot of that stuff has tons of sugar and things you don't want in it. Oh, and stick with your local dairy!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

My 20 month old is tall and lean (20 lbs). Our doc told us to try to fatten her up a little incase she gets sick or needs a surgery (she was a preemie and has some issues). She eats and eats and still bfs but doesn't gain wait. That's just how she is. We started letting her eat food that's higher in fat (she so won't eat avacados though) but nothing. Oh well. She's totally strong and healthy, she's just thin.

I'd try to fatten him up with healthyish foods but as long as he's health, it's all good.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #15
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

MY oldest was always the smallest in his classes, he started out at 5lb 11oz, full term, he simply was tiny. He played high school football as a freshmen-he didn't even weigh but 95lbs, he was so small that the high school equipment wouldn't fit him, he had to get his stuff from the middle school-even his uniform, good thing the middle school and high school have the same colors-though the uniforms used the same colors, they were different from the high school. Anyway, I did everything I could to fatten him up from birth on-he was always an excellent eater-he could eat and eat and eat, yet never gain weight. I gave him tons of milkshakes, instant breakfast, added instant milk powder to anything I could so it would boost the calories-I would add it to his milk, just use the milk in place of the water it calls for and you will have a super high calorie milk, add it to spaghetti sauce, soups, whatever you can disolve it in.
He is now a senior in high school and while he is not the biggest kid, he is well proportioned, wrestles in the 125lb weight class, and is very healthy! Good luck, I am sure your lo is just going to be fine!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

My youngest ( now 2 1/2 ) has been at the same weight for 6 months now. He wears a size 18 month in shorts and 2t in tops. He just got out of diapers so his new summer clothes dont fit ( I bought all 24 m bottoms to have extra room for a dipe not anticipating he would PL )
He is 27 pounds and 37 inches tall so he is as scragly as he can get. I posted pics of him one time asking for ways for him to gain weight and nothing has helped. I gave him those carnation breakfast drinks, nothing.... He gets pediasure along with his brother, nothing...... and he eats EVERYTHING you offer him and his favorite thing to eat is a big salad with a veggie burger cooked and crumbled over it with cheese and italian dresing. LOL
Some children are just built *small* his head has always been in the bottom 10% and the rest of his bones are just as tiny. As long as your LO is eating good, healthy and happy I wouldnt worry too much.
My oldest (almost4 ) was 32 pounds since he was 2 and didnt put on weight for a year and a half. Now at almost 4 he is 34 pounds and 39 inches and is a little chubby but he barely eats. He has oral dysphasia (sp) and gags real easily so his oral intake is little and he gets most the nutrition through Pediasure which we got a prescription for. ( so my kids are totally opposit each other )
ok, enough of my novel, I hope your LO is ok and its just mommy worries.
And if your LO like peanut butter, that has a lot of calories and my kids love them with RITZ sticks and raisens, they would rather eat that as a snack over ice cream. They only get ice cream maybe once a month and ice pops maybe 3 times a month when its real hot.

Last edited by my2babyboys; 07-20-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: sp
my2babyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD doesn't gain weight that easily either. I was (and still am) the same way. I wouldn't be too worried about his not gaining as long as his appetite is filling his diapers, he's happy and active when all's said and done. Every baby's different, so what's "normal" for one, isn't "normal" for the other.

Two year olds are notorious for being picky eaters (I don't have one yet, but I have 5 younger siblings!), so try having him be your helper when you're cooking meals.

Keep tabs on his weight with his pediatrician and make sure there isn't too much of a backslide.

Last edited by slomom; 07-20-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: one more thing....
slomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #18
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
I know exactly how you feel. My dd will be 2 in Aug and she only weighs 18lbs. She looks like a 8 month old baby. Her old ped. has had a huge concern and that makes me worry. She convinced me to stop nursing at 8 months because she said she wasn't getting enough calories. Nothing changed when we did stop nursing, she's just little. She does eat and is not picky, this makes me feel better. We are seeing a new ped. when she goes in for her 2 yr check up. I hope and pray that they don't start talking growth hormones. Her last ped. was ready for that. Kids usually hit a growth spurt between the ages of 2 and 3. I bet your lo will get his growth spurt soon.
Oh don't let them do the growth hormones without testing first. There is a simple blood test to check the growth hormones and thyroid, and unless there is something off with those, there is no need for "treatment".

Madeline was 18.5 lbs when she was 7 months old, dropped down to 17 lbs at 15 months old when we found out she was allergic to wheat/gluten (along with a bunch of other things). Once we changed hers and my diet (she's nursing), she started to slowy put on weight, she's now 21 months old and almost 22 lbs (and 29 1/2 inches tall - yeah, she's short). There might just be nothing wrong, we had other signs that there were problems (and other health/medical related problems with her), but if your baby is just tiny, there is no real reason to be concerned.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011

Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; 07-20-2007 at 10:26 AM.
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
vasquez_leslie
Registered Users
seller

I had a few kids who were really small like this. My DD who is 7 was still in a size 12-18 months or 18-24 months at age 3 and into age 4. She started wearing size 3 at the end of her fourth year and was in size 4 at age 5. At age 6 she sprouted a lot and was finally in a size 6. She has been doing well still and is in a size 7 at age 7.

It really depends on the kid and their body determines how big they will be and at what time. I would say to not worry. I am sure he will catch up and has plenty of time before starting school.
vasquez_leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your son is healthy than I wouldn't do anything about it. By focusing too much on food you could be sending the wrong message about food. Accept and love his body for what it is, don't try to force it to be something else. If he has a small framed body type then adding more calories isn't going to make it different. It may make him fatter and raise his fat percentage but is that really a smart thing to do?

Teach him to eat healthy and when he's hungry and your job is fulfilled. I never understand the concept of fattening up a healthy child, small or not.

My own daughter is 2 1/2 (31 months) and weighs 26 lbs, so also tiny.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote