Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fattening a two-year-old

i just finished reading 'my child won't eat'. i highly recommend reading this book if you can get your hands on it. even if your son is eating just fine (as mine are) it will help put your mind at ease.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is 23.5 lbs and about 31 inches tall at 22 months. Don't try to make a baby gain just because. Sometimes doctors nowadays get parents way to involved and obsessed with every moment of their kids growth and development. Listen to your gut and just take care of your baby the best way that you can. If there is something wrong with your baby's development i truly believe that you as a mom will know.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the same boat. We've added some whole-milk yogurt, cheese, and even ice cream as a treat, trying to increase her fat consumption. It seems to be working a little. We'll find out when we have her c/u next month!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

sounds like my 2 yr old. She's about to fall off the bottom of the growth chart because she's so light. BUT, she eats like a horse. Will finish her plate AND her sisters plates and be hungry an hour later.

However, I was blessed with a good pedi-nurse because she saw that my other kids are healthy, yet tall. I'm healthy, yet small and my DH is skinny and super tall. I'm not worried about it and refuse to be glued to those growth charts.

However, malts work good. Cheaper than Pediasure, and tastes pretty good.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #25
sophruity
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 20 months and only weighs 19 lbs....but this little girl eats non stop! And she doesn't really look skinny, yuck, she;s just petite,,goodluck mama!
sophruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #26
willow659
Registered Users
seller

My ds weighed 19 lbs at 6 mths and 21 lbs at 2nd birthday checkup and 25 lbs at three and he is really healthy ( Just made 8 and is 50 something pounds-I don't worry over it anymore) He is completely average in his class.

My dd2 weighed 25 lbs at 4 months, 19 lbs at 7 months, and weighs 22 lbs at 16 months. She is super smart and healthy.

I wouldn't worry unless something appears unhealthy -- a lot of kids plateau in their weight and/or height growth
Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #27
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wouldn't worry about it. My son is 3 and he weighs 28 pounds and he has weighed that for 2 years. He was pretty chunky and has really thinned out. I think a lot of kids go through a phase where they seem to maintain weight but just get taller and thin out.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #28
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfitz5051 View Post
There are lots of good fattening foods. Bananas and avocados, off the top of my head. Probably most nuts too. It doesn't have to be a 'bad' food to be fattening.
Avocados are GREAT! (just look at my ds!) Not to say I mean to fatten him up LOL but he LOVES them!

And not sure of you are bf'ing, but extra feedings can help!

HTH!

Tara
Old 07-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #29
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as he's healthy, I would not worry.

My 5 yo dd is petite, and she's only 32 lbs. Her metabolism is high and she eats small portions...and eats all day long. I give her Pedisure from time to time, and she loves Carnation b'fast drinks too.

We eat about 85% organics, consume only pastured fed beef, free range eggs/poultry and raw milk. We go in spurts with juicing, making our own juice.

I wouldn't let weight be an issue at this age...and if school kids did pick on him once he starts, those kids need to have their behavior addressed (not your sons food). In reality, kids can be mean and they seem to be getting meaner at an earlier age that when we were growing up. If something ever happens, be vocal and address it with the teacher...don't put up with it.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

I’ve given my kids carnation instant breakfast or Pediasure when I was worried their picky eating was preventing them from getting everything they needed in a day. I’ve also always figured that as long as they’re eating some of the good stuff that treats like ice cream and cookies are ok. I may not let them have candy if they don’t eat what I think they should.
Kids eat 1 T of 3-4 different food groups of food per meal per year of age at the first year and need 4-5 meal a day. So at 2yo your DS only NEEDS 3-4 T of food at a meal. I say this because I was shocked it was soo little. Most parents expect their kids to eat more per meal and only give 3 meals.

Ok and hopefully to make you feel better my 4 oldest kids weights
ODD at 1yo 19lbs, at 2yo 19 ˝ lbs. At 3yo 24lbs. and now at 9yo she still only weighs 53lbs.

ODS at 1yo 23lbs, at 2yo 25lbs and now at 7yo he weighs 47lbs.

TDD at 1yo both weighed 19 ˝ lbs at 2yo both weighed 24 lbs and now at 3yo one weighs 29lbs and the other weighs 30lbs.

My Pedis (we’ve seen 10 over the years) have always said to be happy they’re thin. As long as they’re healthy thin is ok. Where over weight is almost never ok and is a major battle. Knowing that our nation has such a problem with obesity and that the adults in my family are all over weight I will never force my children to eat of try to raise their caloric intake to fatten them up.

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote