Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Double Stroller ?'s

I was thinking I'd just forego a double stroller, that I'd put DS2 (he'll be 22 months when DC3 is born) in the stroller and just sling the new babe.

But then a girlfriend showed me her new Graco: And I was all It's so pretty, and so nifty, with a HUGE basket, and easy-peasy handling, smart features...

So. Moms of kids around 18 mos-2.5 yrs apart, did you use a double stroller? Do I "need" one? I remember DS1 wanting to walk most of the time by 2.5, so I wonder if it will be worth the $. Plus, I really do intend to sling the wee one. Gah! Decisions, decisions...

Shanna <><, blissful wife of Nathan, mama to Noah (6), Elliott (3) and Lydia Corinne, our unexpected unassisted homebirth baby girl , born 01-24-08. Her birth story!
ShannaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Double Stroller ?'s

I have a 4yo and 13mo twins so a double stroller has been a great asset for me despite my love of babywearing. I have to say that in my twin moms club everyone swears by and raves about their Combi side-by-sides. Easy to fold and unfold and light enough to handle in and out of the car at the same time as the kids. If you decide to use a double stroller, I'd check them out. Found one at our local consignment shop for about $95.

Just my

Kate B
crunchymama03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

my girls are 19 months apart and I'm all about slinging, but I would die if I didn't have my double. Mine is the combi side by side that the pp was talking about. I love everything about it except the basket sizes. I couldn't really use it much until Emma was 8 weeks old because I guess she didn't want to lay down and look at the ceiling, lol, so maybe you could try doing it the original way you planned and if it doesn't work out spring for the stroller.
Ellie, mama to two lovely girls. Alexis 6.19.05 and Emma 01.25.07
Leximom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Registered Users

My kiddos are about 2.5 years apart. I use my double stroller every now and then. We they were younger I did use it more. I have a graco and it's very heavy, but storage is great and each seat has a cup holder. Now both of them want to walk. When my dd was born my ds was 2 1/2 and he had a problem running off when he wasn't in the stroller. A lot of times I would sling the baby and still use the double stroller, but i would just put the diaper bag and other stuff in the second seat.
Delana, Wife to Michael 7-29-00. SAHM to Parker Stephen 2-14-03 and
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

We only have one now, but I drool over this one....
Michelle momma to Finnegan 10/06 Samuel 7/08
Missing my 2/10 and welcoming Henry 2/11
FinnegansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:

Yes, even though I am an avid babywearer I do use my double stroller quite a bit (babies #2 and #3 are 28 months apart and babies #3 and #4 are 19 months apart.)
A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

My eldest 2 are just over 2 years apart, and my little dd and the new baby will be just under 2 years apart. For me, a double stroller was a must have. I used a Graco Light rider side by side for the eldest two, and just bought a Maclaren Twin Techno used for the new baby & Natalie. I wanted side by sides rather than a front/back one. Some front/back ones have the advantage of being able to put an infant car seat in them. Things to consider:

- Will you go out on your own with the two? If so, stroller weight will be important. The Graco you linked is almost 40lbs. My Maclaren is 32lbs, and I don't think I'll ever use it without dh. I really wanted a Double Aria or Combi, but bought the Maclaren because I couldn't find the others used and it takes up less space in my van.

- It is much easier to control 2 kids with a double stroller (or one in a sling & one in a stroller). My daughter wasn't a 'runner', but she would demand to be picked up or try to crall in a single stroller with ds.

- Where will you likely use it - inside or outside? Recline ability and large basket are important features to consider. I used my double with the eldest two during big outings (the fair, Disney, the zoo, etc.) and the fact that both could nap in it and it had a huge basket was essential. Being side by side, it was wide, but that didn't matter as I mostly used it outside. Most of the places I shop (ie. inside) I would use a shopping cart, with the car seat in the basket & the older baby in the seat.

Just some thoughts.
Mamma to 4
tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have the fisher price stand n ride, it is great, so ds can walk if he wants and sit if he wants or stand if he wants....etc. I think it was a good investment. I have a couple of friends that have that graco quattro tour double and they LOVE it, but their dc are closer together, less than 2 years apart. My son is almost 4 and my dd is 6 months. I love babywearing, but dd is 25 lbs now, so it starts hurting after awhile, lol.
Proud Navy wife, veteran, full time student and mommy to my gorgeous babes.
Grrchurch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
Registered Users
Smile Re: Double Stroller ?'s

Hey, mom of twins chiming in.

I had my graco duo glider LX or whatever, the blue plaid duo glider. I used it for 9 months, and basically broke it, i used it so much, it went cross country twice. It was completely worth the money. biggest drawback, it was large and heavy and not fittable in small vehicles.. I had troubles fitting it and 3 kids in carseats in my durango.

After my beloved duo glider went kaput, I bought the teal combi at Babies R'Us. I am LOVING it. except no real underneath basket or cup holders. but for ease of use and soft padded seats and soft front bars, it gets a gold star!
G - mom to

Interested in all Natural health and beauty products for your entire family? check out My Arbonne Page

Interested in Pampered Chef Products? I have a website here!
tsimshiangoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by FinnegansMom View Post
We only have one now, but I drool over this one....
These things are so cool! I saw them for the first time at cotton babies the other day and wanted one, even though we have a ton of strollers already. Even my dh thought they were cool.
Mommy to 3 girls (9, 6, and 2), and 2 boys (8 and 3).
getting a divorce and selling off all sorts of things, please check out my listings.
I don't have access to internet on weekends, so I can't respond to pm's until Mondays.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote