Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Ideas for an almost 3 year old??

Okay I understand that it's still early for my daughter and homeschooling, but my boyfriend feels that since I plan on HSing that starting out slow and early would be the best idea for DD#1 (She'll be 3 in November).

What sort of toys, books (reading, workbooks, coloring ect..), videos would you recommend? Webpage links would be grand!

We're mostly looking for the basics for now (colors, shapes, letters, numbers) but other than Melissa and Doug stuff I'm sort of stumped.

Advertisement

ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Papooses
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Ideas for an almost 3 year old??

Just play! PLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAY

Search for Montessori & Waldorf at home stuff via Google & at the library -- real life hands on play is so much more important than academia....

Also, memorization is a lot easier for kids than learning life/social/emotional skills: focus on this instead Start educating yourself on learning styles, emotional intelligence, child development, etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papooses View Post
Just play! PLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAYPLAY

Search for Montessori & Waldorf at home stuff via Google & at the library -- real life hands on play is so much more important than academia....

Also, memorization is a lot easier for kids than learning life/social/emotional skills: focus on this instead Start educating yourself on learning styles, emotional intelligence, child development, etc.
Well if DD#1 is anything like me then she's going to be a visual hands on type. And I need ideas for the toys to play with and I have not a clue where to start (hence my asking about webpages). Even a webpage as a jumping off point would be great.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My fathers world has some excellent preschool ideas. I was blow away!! They have a basic kit with toys and ideas on how to use them for about 50.00 I think. And sooo worth the money!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I like the books Preschool Activities in a Bag and Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready. Lauri puzzles and toys are great for this age too. www.rainbowresource.com has lots of materials for the preschool age.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Malania
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
Okay I understand that it's still early for my daughter and homeschooling, but my boyfriend feels that since I plan on HSing that starting out slow and early would be the best idea for DD#1 (She'll be 3 in November).

What sort of toys, books (reading, workbooks, coloring ect..), videos would you recommend? Webpage links would be grand!

We're mostly looking for the basics for now (colors, shapes, letters, numbers) but other than Melissa and Doug stuff I'm sort of stumped.
http://www.first-school.ws/

http://www.preschoolexpress.com/

With our first son, we did a letter and number a week. Like week 1 was A and number 1. We are going to start that with our second son soon, but he knows a lot of his alphabet already and numbers. Good luck!
And two in Heaven ^i^ Angel (9/23/2007) ^i^ Simon (1/4/2008)
Malania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Life skills are so, so important. Have her help wash dishes (plastic dishes in a plastic tub on the floor), sorting things like laundry, dishes, etc... They need to learn to sort for school and using real live examples really helps. Even sorting by color using different colored candies, etc....

Here are some links I found VERY helpful with my dd as far as workbook learning. I searched for these for hours when I first started. Enjoy

DLTK Kids - totally free

Enchanted Learning - yearly membership of $20.00.

ABC Teach - Mostly free. Some things need to be paid for but a lot don't.

Ambleside Online is a Charlotte Mason style I think you'll like a lot. You can get books off the booklist at your nearest library or on Project Gutenburg. Reading is one of the best things you could do at this age
Old 07-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
momtolg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The LeapFrog Letter factory DVDs are awesome! Both of my older kids learned letter sounds and beginning phonics from these. Our daughter had just turned 2 when we bought these, was not talking much yet, and within weeks was telling us the sounds all the letters made!

Also my kids both like the magic school bus videos and books...she may be a little young to fully understand all of them, but kids are amazing about what they can absorb!

www.starfall.com is a great site for beginning reading.
www.letteroftheweek.com is free and has plans for ages 2-8.

HTH!
momtolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
momtolg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
www.rainbowresource.com has lots of materials for the preschool age.
momtolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
clothmommy
Registered Users

My daughter is 2.5, and we are using the free preschool curriculum from www.letteroftheweek.com - she loves it. Each week focuses on a different animal, letter and number and you get ideas for lots of easy crafts and ways to explore that type of animal. There's also a children's book list related to that type of animal so you get to have a trip to the library to pick out books about "cows" or "horses" or something. I thought it was a little silly at first but my daughter really gets a lot out of it and enjoys it. She is actually learning a lot of the words for the baby animals too, like calf and kid, etc. and seems to be coming to an understanding of numbers- not just knowing the sight and sound, but also realizing that one means ONE cookie, not TWO, and two is more than one, etc. It seems age appropriate, fun and not too "schoolish" to me. I feel like we are bonding over cows rather than I am pushing her to learn something... It's hard to explain-I am in the "let them be young while they are young" camp but I still think this curriculum can fit into that philosophy.

I've also got my eye on "Before Five In a Row" but we'll save that for next year...
clothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote