Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:
OK, fought with DH over toddler and TV, who is right?

Yesterday my DH was watching a show on the discovery channel and our 20 month old was playing in the room. She wasn't "watching" the show but she looks at the tv if anything catches her eye. The show launches into a segment about sex, something about the history of condoms. They were showing pictures of condoms and talking about them. I asked if I could change the channel. He said yes but then I said, I don't like DD watching stuff like this he flipped out at me. He told me I was being stupid and I told him I was being a good parent (implying he wasn't, I guess). Long story short, we still aren't speaking.

So who is right? Is she young enough this doesn't matter? I just think she's learning words so fast and I don't want those words to be condom or sex. I think it's easy enough to change the channel and then the whole issue is gone, right. I tried to make up with him tonight and he's still mad and then I got mad again. ARGH!

My mum once told me being a single parent was good in some ways...I can totally see that.

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: OK, fought with DH over toddler and TV, who is right?

TBH i'm pretty laid back as far as what they can watch on t.v. my dd is 21mths old and I probably wouldn't have changed the channel I hope you guys can talk it over.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Umm, I totally think you're right. It's just not something that needed to be on when your little one was in the room. My DH would have rolled his eyes or whatever. Kids are sooo impressionable.

Does your DD talk much yet? My DD just turned 2 and talks quite a bit. The other day my DH said "A@@hole" When someone cut him off in traffic. Well DD immediately repeated it. He'll obviously need to be more careful!!! lol

Hope you guys work it out.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

Oh we'll work it out. About every 3 months or so we duke it out over something dumb and then go back to normal for 3 months.

I can see how it's not a big deal to him, but if it's a big deal to me then shouldn't he just let me change the channel? And that ********* thing is exactly right, what happens if DD started walking around "condom condom condom."
Old 07-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't change the channel myself. If it's educational TV I wouldn't have been too worried too much. I'd rather my child see it being portrayed as educational than as something like the Real Sex Series on Showtime or Cinemax.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_may View Post
Oh we'll work it out. About every 3 months or so we duke it out over something dumb and then go back to normal for 3 months.

I can see how it's not a big deal to him, but if it's a big deal to me then shouldn't he just let me change the channel? And that ********* thing is exactly right, what happens if DD started walking around "condom condom condom."
Explain it to her as simply as you can. Tell her condoms are for daddies, or for adults. My daughter has already said the word "sex" a few times, and I just tell her that sex makes babies and is something adults do. I don't make a huge deal of it. Sort of like I didn't make a huge stink when she started saying "aw sh!t" in context awhile back (I did have to hide my giggles though). My daughter has been in the shopping cart when I've purchased condoms (we see how far they got me ). So I guess I'm a little laid back about it.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
Explain it to her as simply as you can. Tell her condoms are for daddies, or for adults. My daughter has already said the word "sex" a few times, and I just tell her that sex makes babies and is something adults do. I don't make a huge deal of it. Sort of like I didn't make a huge stink when she started saying "aw sh!t" in context awhile back (I did have to hide my giggles though). My daughter has been in the shopping cart when I've purchased condoms (we see how far they got me ). So I guess I'm a little laid back about it.
Totally agree, I think the more of a big deal you make of it, the more she will remember it, kwim? I wouldn't have changed the channel myself, now if DH put some **** on or something, then yeah, the dukes would have been up and ready for a fight.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I'm pretty lienent about what the kids watch. Anything on the Discovery channel or TLC. Also if my Dh told me I had to turn something off I would probably get a bit cranky too. I know it's not mature, but it's the rebellious toddler still in me I guess. I would be really mad if he said something like "I'm just being a good parent" because even though he didn't mean it that way it would sound like he was saying I was a bad parent for letting them watch it in the first place. I can say that if dh had a problem with me letting the boys watch something, and it was somethign I actually wanted to watch I would probably tell him to take the kids out of the room, because I was watching and I had no problem with it. If he has a problem with what I am watching/letting the kids watch then he is welcome to watch them while I finnish up. Seems only fair to me. Yep that's me, I'm totally immature.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Honestly I'm pretty lienent about what the kids watch. Anything on the Discovery channel or TLC. Also if my Dh told me I had to turn something off I would probably get a bit cranky too. I know it's not mature, but it's the rebellious toddler still in me I guess. I would be really mad if he said something like "I'm just being a good parent" because even though he didn't mean it that way it would sound like he was saying I was a bad parent for letting them watch it in the first place. I can say that if dh had a problem with me letting the boys watch something, and it was somethign I actually wanted to watch I would probably tell him to take the kids out of the room, because I was watching and I had no problem with it. If he has a problem with what I am watching/letting the kids watch then he is welcome to watch them while I finnish up. Seems only fair to me. Yep that's me, I'm totally immature.
I agree.

I do think it would have been fine if you just asked to turn it, but than to say your being a good parent, I mean I would be alittle P!ssed at dh too if he said something like that to me, because I would take it as him saying I wasn't being a good parent...

ETA: Just read the whole thread I quoted and I agree 100% with what she said

Last edited by LuAnn; 07-22-2007 at 11:14 PM.
LuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_may View Post
Yesterday my DH was watching a show on the discovery channel and our 20 month old was playing in the room. She wasn't "watching" the show but she looks at the tv if anything catches her eye. The show launches into a segment about sex, something about the history of condoms. They were showing pictures of condoms and talking about them. I asked if I could change the channel. He said yes but then I said, I don't like DD watching stuff like this he flipped out at me. He told me I was being stupid and I told him I was being a good parent (implying he wasn't, I guess). Long story short, we still aren't speaking.

So who is right? Is she young enough this doesn't matter? I just think she's learning words so fast and I don't want those words to be condom or sex. I think it's easy enough to change the channel and then the whole issue is gone, right. I tried to make up with him tonight and he's still mad and then I got mad again. ARGH!

My mum once told me being a single parent was good in some ways...I can totally see that.
I agree with your DH on this one. I would have left the program on. Our little ones learn our taboos, and you, in a backwards sort of way, are showing her that sex is one of your taboos if you change the channel.

Of course, sex and sex issues are openly talked about in our home. We don't ever define an age that is "too young" for any issue.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote